Help! Anyone Had Problems w/Finish on Hamilton Locks?

PugHeaven

May 9, 2013
I ordered a Hamilton satchel from the Lord & Taylor sale last week. It came on Friday and appeared in perfect condition. I did think the matte finish on the lock looked a little different from my others, but I couldn't put my finger on why. After taking her out on only a couple of short trips where I know I didn't bump the lock, the matte finish is flaking off to the touch of my fingertip! Has anyone else experienced this? I don't think L&T has any of these left (discontinued pebble leather) and I wouldn't want to chance getting a bag with worse damage. Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks!

I think the finish on your lock got damaged somehow. I wrote MK to send me a replacement lock and the package was delayed due to bad weather, and I think that it got banged up pretty bad en route because when I opened it, the matte finish was cracked and flaking off. My old lock looked way better so I just kept it on my bag. You could try writing MK and sending a picture of the lock (you may not have to send a picture but I did) and ask for a replacement. They'll ask where you bought the purse and just say you bought it from a MK boutique, even if you didn't. They didn't ask me for any proof of purchase, just my address, and they mailed it.

I think the finish on your lock got damaged somehow. I wrote MK to send me a replacement lock and the package was delayed due to bad weather, and I think that it got banged up pretty bad en route because when I opened it, the matte finish was cracked and flaking off. My old lock looked way better so I just kept it on my bag. You could try writing MK and sending a picture of the lock (you may not have to send a picture but I did) and ask for a replacement. They'll ask where you bought the purse and just say you bought it from a MK boutique, even if you didn't. They didn't ask me for any proof of purchase, just my address, and they mailed it.

Thank you so much! You have described exactly how my lock looks! I am in the process of communicating with MK now so, hopefully, this will be resolved soon. If this is due to the cold though, I wonder what happens to these lock over time if you live in a cold climate?

This happened to my black hamilton and it bothered me so much that I just peeled off the matte layer (it easily flaked off). So the lock now looks shiny all around and I actually don't mind it. Interestingly, the lock on my saffiano navy blue hamilton is intact.

This happened to my black hamilton and it bothered me so much that I just peeled off the matte layer (it easily flaked off). So the lock now looks shiny all around and I actually don't mind it. Interestingly, the lock on my saffiano navy blue hamilton is intact.

This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. It certainly won't take much effort because it flakes just to the touch. I guess I'm thinking of resale value in the future, but I doubt I'll ever let this baby go!

Thank you so much! You have described exactly how my lock looks! I am in the process of communicating with MK now so, hopefully, this will be resolved soon. If this is due to the cold though, I wonder what happens to these lock over time if you live in a cold climate?

I think that your bag would have to be in severe cold for an extended period of time to be so susceptible to damage like that. Mine was en route back when temperatures were below freezing and lots of deliveries were delayed, so if my package got tossed around then I could see how it would crack and start to peel. I also chipped the matte finish off like another poster did and I use the lock and key on my keychain. I'm not too worried about the locks on my Hamiltons.

my hamilton lock came damaged, and they were very quick to send a replacement

Did you both handle this through e-mail at [email protected]? This is what I was told to do when I called the phone no. listed on the MK website. They did request a photo of the lock and bag, but I received an e-mail failure notification the first time I tried replying. I think I figured out why and successfully (hopefully) sent my reply, but I haven't heard back. Can you tell me how long it took you to hear from them and get your replacement locks? Thanks!

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1396661217.104240.jpg
I literally just received my pebbled ew Hamilton brand new yesterday with this lock.

I emailed the address someone posted with pictures and hope they replace my lock

I ordered a Hamilton satchel from the Lord & Taylor sale last week. It came on Friday and appeared in perfect condition. I did think the matte finish on the lock looked a little different from my others, but I couldn't put my finger on why. After taking her out on only a couple of short trips where I know I didn't bump the lock, the matte finish is flaking off to the touch of my fingertip! Has anyone else experienced this? I don't think L&T has any of these left (discontinued pebble leather) and I wouldn't want to chance getting a bag with worse damage. Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks!

Mine came from same store. I posted pic above

Did you both handle this through e-mail at [email protected]? This is what I was told to do when I called the phone no. listed on the MK website. They did request a photo of the lock and bag, but I received an e-mail failure notification the first time I tried replying. I think I figured out why and successfully (hopefully) sent my reply, but I haven't heard back. Can you tell me how long it took you to hear from them and get your replacement locks? Thanks!

Yes, that's the email I went through. I think it took them a couple of days to respond to me, hopefully you'll get a quicker response now that your message has sent. Again, there was a delay due to bad weather so I didn't get mine for weeks. I had literally forgotten about it when it showed up. I didn't check to see when it was post marked but you'll probably get yours sooner than I did.

View attachment 2567788
I literally just received my pebbled ew Hamilton brand new yesterday with this lock.

I emailed the address someone posted with pictures and hope they replace my lock

This is exactly what mine looked like before it started peeling! It's very disappointing to me, I thought this finish was actually etched into the metal. As it peels off, it reminds me of dried egg white!