HELP....Am I Being "Played"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saich2

O.G.
Sep 4, 2006
I have not idea what to think any more and any advice would be gratefully received.
I saw an Alexander McQueen Necklace on ebay.co.uk. I am in the UK. I put in an offer and seller wrote back saying she could not sell at that.....it was in my opinion a good offer £150 plus £8.55p Royal Mail Special delivery where you get insurance, tracking and get it next day. The seller said if I bought of ebay she could save some money, she only has 15 feedback all good. Said she wanted £180 which would include paypal fees and postage agree to it but ask for a proper invoice which she sent......went to pay she then cancel that invoice and sent another for £198.55p she said she was selling for her mother and she would not take less then £180 for it......the rest was for paypal fees and postage.
As you can imagine was not happy as made a deal. I left it a few days to calm down and agree to pay the extra if she ended listing straight away, send by RMS and send me tracking and have a proper invoice. she has now sent me a new invoice but has not ended listing and I want your opinion do you think I am being Played with and she has another buyer and going between the both of us......its only showing me watching the listing. As a rule don't buy of ebay unless on here or know the person then get an invoice so covered.....what do you think??????

I would never agree to conclude a transaction off Ebay - why lose their protection if something goes wrong? And given how many times the seller has fiddled with the terms of the sale I would run in the other direction.
As a rule mistikat I agree with you but you do have buyers protection when you get a proper invoice from PayPal and they are very good with buyers I have found and always refunded...I just do wonder if this seller is playing me off with someone else yet its only showing me watching the item....I have email her twice today asking why the listing not taken down and not paying until it is.....as yet no reply but she could be out. I so want this necklace to go with a AM dress I bought for a special occasion.

I wish I could carmen56 but to me this is a special necklace to go with a special dress I just bought and don't know how hard they are to come by I have not seen it for sale before. She has sent me a proper PayPal invoice have to say but not paying
I would walk away. The seller doesn't appear to be very honest.
so torn as so want this necklace to complete my outfit

WARNING: OP is NOT going to like me or my answer! EVERY time someone posts here about a transaction that they took off whatever site it was listed on, something goes wrong. One party or the other gets screwed and then the buyer or seller comes here looking for support.

As a rule don't buy of ebay unless on here or know the person then get an invoice so covered.....what do you think??????
"As a rule," you aren't supposed to buy outside of ebay when the item is listed ON ebay AT ALL!
I would walk away. The seller doesn't appear to be very honest.
It takes two dishonest people to take a transaction off-site.
I just do wonder if this seller is playing me off with someone else
Maybe the seller is playing you just as both of you are playing ebay.
I so want this necklace to go with a AM dress I bought for a special occasion.
Maybe I'm nuts, but when I see something I want, I buy it! I don't cheat the system and as such, I have all the protections I need from BOTH ebay AND Paypal.

The bottom line is that you found this item on ebay, ebay gave the seller the exposure she needed for you and other buyers to find it and ebay earned the fees for selling the item.

If you want the necklace, buy it through the listing, pay for it through the listing, get ebay buyer protection and abide by the rules you agreed to when you joined ebay!

JMHO.

WARNING: OP is NOT going to like me or my answer! EVERY time someone posts here about a transaction that they took off whatever site it was listed on, something goes wrong. One party or the other gets screwed and then the buyer or seller comes here looking for support.

"As a rule," you aren't supposed to buy outside of ebay when the item is listed ON ebay AT ALL!

Maybe I'm nuts, but when I see something I want, I buy it! I don't cheat the system and as such, I have all the protections I need from BOTH ebay AND Paypal.

The bottom line is that you found this item on ebay, ebay gave the seller the exposure she needed for you and other buyers to find it and ebay earned the fees for selling the item.

If you want the necklace, buy it through the listing, pay for it through the listing, get ebay buyer protection and abide by the rules you agreed to when you joined ebay!

JMHO.

Completely agree.

Sounds fishy.

There's plenty of other McQ necklaces on the market. I'd look elsewhere.

If she's potentially already "broke" the deal on the price with you I'm sure she wouldn't feel bad ripping you off.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: carlpsmom
Said she wanted £180 which would include paypal fees and postage agree to it but ask for a proper invoice which she sent......went to pay she then cancel that invoice and sent another for £198.55p she said she was selling for her mother and she would not take less then £180 for it......the rest was for paypal fees and postage.

This would be a show stopper for me.

JMHO.

I do find your reply rude BeenBurned but then that's my opinion. Lots of people buy of ebay and also with people you know on here buy from friends sending money by PayPal friends and family.
I have decide not to get the necklace now anyway....and I thank you for the people that replied without rudeness

BeenBurned not all of us are super rich and can afford the high prices on a lot of these items, so to just buy of ebay which I very rarely do and mean rare think I have done it just twice before.

To call me dishonest is an insult and think you need to word things better.....but then I guess people who have a lot of money don't always have manners

BB calls them as she sees them. And, honestly, did she anything that was not true?
I will use the word unethical since that is one that I complain about, quite often. Being so easy to take away funds due to the venue is cheating and is unethical. Best to use FB for looking for those transactions.

I want to explain it like this. Say you are looking to buy a house and you find a wonderful realtor and sign with her. She finds your wonderful home. Now, talking to the sellers, they are bummed about paying the commission to the realtors. They want to find a way to cut the realtor out. And they write up the contract to purchase and then tell you they decided they really need an extra 10K for all of that. At that point, you have choices. You can give in and continue and hope for no more surprises. You can argue and walk away from your perfect home, You can contact your realtor, apologize and start searching again. Trying to reneg on the commission costs more than just the you might think. They earn those fees. Odd comparison, I know but it seems to fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.