Help- again :( RM Newb question for all RM experts w/ buying on ecrater/ebay

iconic321

O.G.
Mar 8, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I posted this in ebay chat thread but I thought I'd post it here where more Minkettes may read it and help.

As you may be able to tell from my recent posts, I decided my first RM bag will be/should be a black MAB BBW w/ old hardware. I've been eyeing the one on ecrater for the past few days now but I have very little expereince w/ buying online and I'm nervous!

My primary points of concern are:

1. The bag has not sold even tho its been for sale for awhile already- is there something wrong w/ the bag that a novice like me doesn't kno about? I mean, isn't this a really popular bag?

2. I emailed the Seller and she told me via email that she's was a tpf member. However, when I checked on tpf member list... she's not here. Why would she lie about this and if she lies about this... what else is she lying about!

3. Everytime I've emailed w/ her she responds to my email at 3 or 4 in the morning my time and I'm on West Coast time! Does this mean she's overseas???

Should I be worried? For all of the above reasons I am... but that obsessive crazy bag-aholic in me also wants to throw caution to the wind and BUY BUY BUY!

Please help w/ any advice/suggestions. I don't want to get burned and I've heard too many horror stories of sellers pretending to sell bags when they don't actually have the bag to sell.

Please help me!

Hi welcome to the RM sub-forum!

Buying a bag with a brand you're not too familiar with can be nerve-wrecking, and I completely understand why you would think twice before buying. To start with the basics, always go to the official site of the brand you're looking into buying. It'll have all the prices and styles to get you at least familiar to the brand itself and all the things they sell (and more importantly in some cases, do not sell). RM's official site is www.rebeccaminkoff.com

To answer your concerns...

1. If a bag hasn't sold in a while, it doesn't necessarily mean it's unpopular. RM makes a TON of bags in a gazillion different colors. We all have our favorites, and there's a ton to choose from. But you SHOULD ask for more pictures specifically close-ups of the handles which will indicate how much the bag has been worn. Looking at scuff marks on the bottom of the purse is also a give-away. The lining would be a good indicator of what season it's from. On the bright side, you don't have to worry about fakes as there are no RM fakes (yet at least).

2. Some sellers say they are a tPF member because we're for the most part selling authentic bags. Members have an online reputation in here, and you can see if they are active or not in the forum. I guess you could say tPF serves as a "reference". Just because someone is a member however, doesn't mean she's reputable!! Look to see if the member is an active and well-known member of the forum, if she is, you're set!

3. This is an easy fix, you could just ask the seller herself ;).

If you don't want to buy from ecrater, there are plenty of other reputable online retailers that sell RM as well. You can check out the thread that lists stores and sites that sell RM.

Hope this helps! And again, welcome!

Last edited:
3. Everytime I've emailed w/ her she responds to my email at 3 or 4 in the morning my time and I'm on West Coast time! Does this mean she's overseas???

She is most likely on the east coast which is 3 hours ahead of the west coast. If she were to wake up at 6 or 7am EST and reply to messages before she leaves the house for work (which is exactly what I do as well) then she would be replying to you at about 3 or 4am YOUR time.

This is perfectly normal!!!

Hello!

I think you're talking about me! I am in Ontario/New York (depending on the season) and so several hours difference (always), and almost no one has the same pf name as they do on ebay. If I am your seller (not sure, dark brown mam?) then you are safe! Ha!