HELP! Advise needed on vintage caviar please!

yhassan

O.G.
Feb 16, 2006
I have been stalking this bag online but I'm surprised by how many marks it has considering its caviar. Do you think I'll be able to clean it up at all?

Attachments

• IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 343
I'm not certain, but you could consult with Gerry at Leather Surgeons. Some of the ladies here have had great luck using him in past. He should be able to tell you if it's doable and at what cost.

Ahhh thanks! I'll try & look into that.

I'm wondering if the previous owner ever tried to wipe it down? I'm surprised it's so dirty considering how durable & low maintenance everyone says caviar is.

I've see preloved matte caviar with more dirt than traditional caviar. For me personally, I decided to stay away because I don't want to deal with the matte being dirty all the time.

with traditional caviar, you can usually wipe off pretty quickly. I heard with the matte, its really difficult to come off. I do not have direct experience but this is what I've heard. HTH

this is for sure matte caviar, it's softer than regular caviar leather and gets color transfer very easily. i've seen some really fugly ones with color issues floating around on resale. this bag would need a complete redye, most likely

I think vintage lambskin looks better than vintage caviar if u can find one. I have seen many with beautiful patina...in vintage black lamb n red lamb ...

This looks stained n dirty...i m sure u need to redye. Maybe try to source for another...not sure if redye cost n hassle to wait for redye worth the trouble :smile:

OH! I had no idea there was more than one caviar. Is the matte more high maintenance or difficult to clean?
There are lots of different treatments for caviar, calf, lamb, etc. I just asked Leather Surgeons which materials to stay away from and they said recolored items, iridescent calf, in the mix, washed caviar, medium to light colored suede and patent are almost impossible to refurbish because they can't be easily cleaned or redyed. They also said that python is tricky to refurbish if the scales are lifting. I'd ask them about this bag before I'd buy it.
wow hard pass if it's that infamous matte caviar... the horror stories I've read on that material....
Really??? :shocked: I don't think I'd heard of matte caviar before this thread. Is it a dirt and color transfer magnet or "just" impossible to clean?

I wonder why Chanel continues to make materials that they know are difficult to maintain?

There are lots of different treatments for caviar, calf, lamb, etc. I just asked Leather Surgeons which materials to stay away from and they said recolored items, iridescent calf, in the mix, washed caviar, medium to light colored suede and patent are almost impossible to refurbish because they can't be easily cleaned or redyed. They also said that python is tricky to refurbish if the scales are lifting. I'd ask them about this bag before I'd buy it.
Really??? :shocked: I don't think I'd heard of matte caviar before this thread. Is it a dirt and color transfer magnet or "just" impossible to clean?

I wonder why Chanel continues to make materials that they know are difficult to maintain?
Both and e so do not understand either!

Still on the hunt for a vintage pink caviar....does this bag look like the traditional caviar that is easier to maintain?

That is the "traditional" rigid caviar. You can tell by the stitching around the edge of the bag, glossy finish, and grain of the pebble. After you look at enough bags, you will start to pick up on the differences.

Reactions: yhassan