Help a noob pick out her engagement ring?

OinkMoo

Totoro
Jun 26, 2011
Hi everyone!

I've been quietly browsing the engagement ring thread for over a month now, since the boyfriend and I had the marriage talk. So I know exactly what type of ring I want, a simple solitaire with a round diamond and an eternity band as my wedding band. Yes, very Tiffany's-esque. However, I'm not getting a Tiffany's ring... It's out of our price range unfortunately.

Anyway, so after lots of shopping, I've found the rock that I want at my local Shane company. I was wondering if I can get some insights on the rock and if it's a good price or am I getting ripped off? Here are the specs:

1.08 ct
Vs2
G in color
Ideal cut
Priced at $8335
Size 5.5-6

So the price is $8335, but our sales guy says he can knock off $1500 for us. So we'll be paying $6835 before tax. However, it is a bit out of our budget, we're only planning on spending ~$6000 for the ring. What do you ladies think? Any opinions would be appreciated! Like I said, I'm such a noob at these things so not sure how much the future hubby should be paying for my rock. Thank you!!

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1400467888.696919.jpg

Hi everyone!

I've been quietly browsing the engagement ring thread for over a month now, since the boyfriend and I had the marriage talk. So I know exactly what type of ring I want, a simple solitaire with a round diamond and an eternity band as my wedding band. Yes, very Tiffany's-esque. However, I'm not getting a Tiffany's ring... It's out of our price range unfortunately.

Anyway, so after lots of shopping, I've found the rock that I want at my local Shane company. I was wondering if I can get some insights on the rock and if it's a good price or am I getting ripped off? Here are the specs:

1.08 ct
Vs2
G in color
Ideal cut
Priced at $8335
Size 5.5-6

So the price is $8335, but our sales guy says he can knock off $1500 for us. So we'll be paying $6835 before tax. However, it is a bit out of our budget, we're only planning on spending ~$6000 for the ring. What do you ladies think? Any opinions would be appreciated! Like I said, I'm such a noob at these things so not sure how much the future hubby should be paying for my rock. Thank you!!

View attachment 2621717

Congratulations!

Our resident diamond expert Ame will be the best to assist you with the details of your diamond, but I can tell you that you'd need to provide her with a lot more information than carat, colour and clarity. You'd need at least the depth, table size, pavilion angles and crown angles.

Can you get hold of the grading report for the diamond? I wouldn't consider anything that isn't GIA or (even better) AGS graded. Almost anything else is a pot shot.

The most important thing I have learned is that your diamond's cut is what will make your diamond sparkle. I'd rather a perfectly cut I diamond than a poorly cut D. Unless it's an AGS graded Ideal cut, I'd a bit sceptical of the "Ideal" cut that Shane is reporting for your diamond.

Most chain stores have very average to poor quality diamonds. I'd be very careful with what you are getting for your money at Shane's. You might luck out and get a nice diamond, but you'd be the exception and not the norm. Are you open to buying online? That would open up a whole range of possibilities.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Our resident diamond expert Ame will be the best to assist you with the details of your diamond, but I can tell you that you'd need to provide her with a lot more information than carat, colour and clarity. You'd need at least the depth, table size, pavilion angles and crown angles.

Can you get hold of the grading report for the diamond? I wouldn't consider anything that isn't GIA or (even better) AGS graded. Almost anything else is a pot shot.

The most important thing I have learned is that your diamond's cut is what will make your diamond sparkle. I'd rather a perfectly cut I diamond than a poorly cut D. Unless it's an AGS graded Ideal cut, I'd a bit sceptical of the "Ideal" cut that Shane is reporting for your diamond.

Most chain stores have very average to poor quality diamonds. I'd be very careful with what you are getting for your money at Shane's. You might luck out and get a nice diamond, but you'd be the exception and not the norm. Are you open to buying online? That would open up a whole range of possibilities.

Hi Ferdi! I'm not so sure on the depth and table size. The diamond was graded by Shane and GIA as an ideal cut. Maybe I'll swing back to shane Co soon and ask them.

I thought about buying online as well, but my only worry is I won't be able to see the diamond in person. With my luck, I'll end up choosing a crappy one lol. Any suggestions on what website I should look at and any tips on buying online?

Hopefully Ame will chime in as well. Thanks for your help!

Well, without the numbers, I can't tell you if it would fall under the ideal grade, but I can tell you for fact that the GIA doesn't grade diamonds with the IDEAL grade, and Shane isn't a grader, they're they're a retailer. So they don't really have the qualifications to give it that grade either. So that's all sales BS. Get the report number, make sure the report number is inscribed on the diamond you're looking at (and loupe it to be sure it is the same!) and then bring that info here with the exact carat weight of the stone you're considering.

A well cut diamond in those specs at that size range should run anywhere from 7,000-9,000 btw. Just the stone. So what you're buying might be a great "deal" on a great stone that's been in inventory a long time, OR a poorly cut stone they're trying to unload.

Are you "married" to Shane? I'd look elsewhere, and if online isn't out of the question, online would be my recommendation because you'll know you're getting your money's worth there. And if you go that route, I will not let you buy a "Crappy One." lol

Last edited:
Well, without the numbers, I can't tell you if it would fall under the ideal grade, but I can tell you for fact that the GIA doesn't grade diamonds with the IDEAL grade, and Shane isn't a grader, they're they're a retailer. So they don't really have the qualifications to give it that grade either. So that's all sales BS. Get the report number, make sure the report number is inscribed on the diamond you're looking at (and loupe it to be sure it is the same!) and then bring that info here with the exact carat weight of the stone you're considering.

A well cut diamond in those specs at that size range should run anywhere from 7,000-9,000 btw. Just the stone. So what you're buying might be a great "deal" on a great stone that's been in inventory a long time, OR a poorly cut stone they're trying to unload.

Are you "married" to Shane? I'd look elsewhere, and if online isn't out of the question, online would be my recommendation because you'll know you're getting your money's worth there. And if you go that route, I will not let you buy a "Crappy One." lol

Thanks for chiming in Ame! No, we are not married to Shane. They didn't show me an official report of the diamond, the only thing that was shown was the four C's, which was a printed label on the diamond's container. Hopefully I can have them send over the report soon.

As far as buying online, do you have a reliable source? I've been googling all morning and I've found lumeradiamonds.com, is there any other sites I should be looking at? Thanks so much, I have a feeling I'll be asking for your help quite a bit!

I personally like Shane but you have to be careful with their inventory. They have a lot of certified stones but also have ones they grade in house. They use three graders in house and take the average but it might not receive the same in house grade as you'd get from GIA. I feel their prices are some of the best for the retail chain market. But you definitely need to post the stats here to get an opinion on the cut. They market some of their stones as Shane Classic or Ideal cut. These are what they feel are their better cut stones. Shane Classics are GIA triple excellent but that doesn't always mean the best, and their Ideal cuts are what they feel are cream of the crop. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they are what GIA or AGS would view as cream of the crop. So you still have to get the stats.

Last edited:
Having worked in the industry, I would suggest that you do more research. There are a lot of resources available online. Also, ask for the GIA or AGS cert; just because a store has a GIA graduate gemologist on staff doesn't mean that he/she has same standards as GIA. Brick and mortar stores are usually more expensive than online stores.

Thanks for chiming in Ame! No, we are not married to Shane. They didn't show me an official report of the diamond, the only thing that was shown was the four C's, which was a printed label on the diamond's container. Hopefully I can have them send over the report soon.

As far as buying online, do you have a reliable source? I've been googling all morning and I've found lumeradiamonds.com, is there any other sites I should be looking at? Thanks so much, I have a feeling I'll be asking for your help quite a bit!

I've never heard of Lumera.

Ideally you need a GIA or AGS cert, as was just mentioned, AGS gives the IDEAL grade. GIA gives an Excellent grade but that net is so wide you can drive a semi truck through it. So you need actual numbers.

BrianGavinDiamonds.com (look at their Blue line)
GoodOldGold.com
HighPerformanceDiamonds.com
JamesAllen.com
Whiteflash.com

Although you won't get actual images and the same level of information, Blue Nile can work, but I wouldn't go for a VS2 or lower clarity there simply because you won't get images there and I'd want to see the stone beyond just a plot at that clarity and lower.

Having worked in the industry, I would suggest that you do more research. There are a lot of resources available online. Also, ask for the GIA or AGS cert; just because a store has a GIA graduate gemologist on staff doesn't mean that he/she has same standards as GIA. Brick and mortar stores are usually more expensive than online stores.

Good to know. Thanks!

I personally like Shane but you have to be careful with their inventory. They have a lot of certified stones but also have ones they grade in house. They use three graders in house and take the average but it might not receive the same in house grade as you'd get from GIA. I feel their prices are some of the best for the retail chain market. But you definitely need to post the stats here to get an opinion on the cut. They market some of their stones as Shane Classic or Ideal cut. These are what they feel are their better cut stones. Shane Classics are GIA triple excellent but that doesn't always mean the best, and their Ideal cuts are what they feel are cream of the crop. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they are what GIA or AGS would view as cream of the crop. So you still have to get the stats.

For sure, we've been shopping around local jewelers and find ShaneCo had the best options. I will try to get the specs and post them here soon!

I've never heard of Lumera.

Ideally you need a GIA or AGS cert, as was just mentioned, AGS gives the IDEAL grade. GIA gives an Excellent grade but that net is so wide you can drive a semi truck through it. So you need actual numbers.

BrianGavinDiamonds.com (look at their Blue line)
GoodOldGold.com
HighPerformanceDiamonds.com
JamesAllen.com
Whiteflash.com

Although you won't get actual images and the same level of information, Blue Nile can work, but I wouldn't go for a VS2 or lower clarity there simply because you won't get images there and I'd want to see the stone beyond just a plot at that clarity and lower.

Thank you so much Ame! You've been a ton of help. Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I will try to get the specs of the ShaneCo diamond soon. In the mean time, I will be doing some online shopping as well. :graucho:

I second the recommendation for Brian Gavin. I bought a pair of diamond studs from their Blue line and they've out-sparkled anything that I can find here. This was an international purchase that was done over the Valentine's Day period and the lady helping me couldn't have been any nicer.

Even if you just browse the online catalogue from the vendors Ame recommended (James Allen is particularly good if you want to see a 360 view of the actual diamond), it gives you a great idea of what a great diamond should look like, should you decide to purchase in person.

I second the recommendation for Brian Gavin. I bought a pair of diamond studs from their Blue line and they've out-sparkled anything that I can find here. This was an international purchase that was done over the Valentine's Day period and the lady helping me couldn't have been any nicer.

Even if you just browse the online catalogue from the vendors Ame recommended (James Allen is particularly good if you want to see a 360 view of the actual diamond), it gives you a great idea of what a great diamond should look like, should you decide to purchase in person.

Ferdi, do you have a photo of your studs? Would love to see sparkly diamonds! I have it narrowed down to two diamonds from Brian gavin's line! We will see which one he decides on! I owe it to Ame for helping me!

Ferdi, do you have a photo of your studs? Would love to see sparkly diamonds! I have it narrowed down to two diamonds from Brian gavin's line! We will see which one he decides on! I owe it to Ame for helping me!

Woohoo, that's awesome! I can't wait to see what you end up choosing :graucho:

Here are my BGD studs - they're both AGS 000, 0.535 carat, I colour, VS2 clarity. One has medium blue and the other has strong blue fluorescence. First 2 pics are BGD's glamour shots, the second are my attempts to capture some arrows :lol:

Attachments

• BrianGavin_Martini_1.jpg
    BrianGavin_Martini_1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 290
  • BrianGavin_Martini_2.jpg
    BrianGavin_Martini_2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 293
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG