Help! A metal chain stuck in pre-loved Herbag's hardware

prince_meow

Jun 30, 2020
Sorry about my English, I really need some advices. I just got a vintage Vibrato Herbag from TRR. When I tried to reassemble this bag, I found this. I know it is not a part of the design. The chain looks super cheap and makes noise in the hardware. This chain is not described in the product details and the bag is not returnable.

I tried to pull it out with some force but failed. I am afraid of using too much force since I don't know what the other side of the chain look like. I don't know how the pre-owner put the chain in. Do you guys think I can get rid of the chain by myself? What might be some methods to take it out? Maybe some oil and pull it? Should I contact TRR about this? Or should I just live with it?

It is my first Hermes bag. I am so panic now. Any help would be appreciated.

metal_chain1.jpegmetal_chain2.jpegmetal_chain3.jpeg

Yes this is part of the hardware
It’s to keep the cap attached even when you unscrew it

see other members’ post about this chain:

Photo found online (not mine)
15A8325F-93DA-4032-84F7-9731475E0044.jpeg

I hope you didn’t just break a bag and returned it...granted it’s TRR’s fault for not knowing this is part of herbag.

Edit: now that I thought about it, I think it’s understandable that someone in their general CS / handles customer inquiries and returns may not know a peculiar detail about one particular bag model they accept and sell...it’s just unfortunate. I hope you didn’t yank it too much and it’s all good, and if you see our replies in time (before you send off the return) you can put it back and enjoy your bag.

Last edited:
OMG! I have already packed my bag and ready to return it! I would definitely keep the bag now. I am sorry that I did not know it is a part of the design. I watched a lot of videos and did not see the chain so I was panic. I will call TRR tomorrow and cancel my return request.

Thank you guys! I am new here and I love this forum! You guys are so knowledgable!

nice! I literally was just editing my comment to say that I hope you see it in time!! Enjoy your bag, it’s a very nice bag and special in vibrato

:drinks::hugs:

edit: here’s a video of someone taking it apart with the chain at about 30 seconds into the video, it’s in Chinese but at least you can see the process clearly!

A screenshot from that video
9C500838-A014-4076-8196-60E5522CDB6C.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: Hermes Zen
OMG! I have already packed my bag and ready to return it! I would definitely keep the bag now. I am sorry that I did not know it is a part of the design. I watched a lot of videos and did not see the chain so I was panic. I will call TRR tomorrow and cancel my return request.

Thank you guys! I am new here and I love this forum! You guys are so knowledgable!
I’m so glad you saw our replies in time! Enjoy your new bag!

Sorry about my English, I really need some advices. I just got a vintage Vibrato Herbag from TRR. When I tried to reassemble this bag, I found this. I know it is not a part of the design. The chain looks super cheap and makes noise in the hardware. This chain is not described in the product details and the bag is not returnable.

I tried to pull it out with some force but failed. I am afraid of using too much force since I don't know what the other side of the chain look like. I don't know how the pre-owner put the chain in. Do you guys think I can get rid of the chain by myself? What might be some methods to take it out? Maybe some oil and pull it? Should I contact TRR about this? Or should I just live with it?

It is my first Hermes bag. I am so panic now. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 4774191View attachment 4774195View attachment 4774196
I had the same impression when I bought my Herbag, the chain looks cheap, but then I did a little research here and realised that it was ok. it'ss the way it's supposed to be.
Weird thing is that none os the videos I watched on Youtube showed this chain. But I'm glad it's there, it's a very smart way prevent us from loosing that small part.

Reactions: Hermes Zen
I have the same issue with my recent purchase of a vintage herbag. The ball chain accidentally got stuck inside the metal rod. Hopefully someone with similar experience can advise us how to pull out the ball chain. Thank you in advance.

I have the same issue with my recent purchase of a vintage herbag. The ball chain accidentally got stuck inside the metal rod. Hopefully someone with similar experience can advise us how to pull out the ball chain. Thank you in advance.
When I used my Herbags more often, this happened to me rather frequently. The best fix I found was a combo of using a strong magnet and some thin culinary tweezers (and a lot of patience:lol:). The magnet helped to guide the chain through the metal shaft, and the tweezers were long and thin enough to barely fit in the shaft and push the chain along in small increments.