Help! 2 Smelly Bags from Hong Kong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to keep the bags then there is a firm in Morristown, NJ that LV use to clean bags - pm me if you want the telephone number and maybe you can ask them for some advice.

best of luck

In my opinion, a smelly LV is a smelly LV... I don't care what you do to it. I've had one funky bag and that taught me to always ask my number one question whenever buying used LV, "Does the bag have ANY foul odors-ie mothballs, cigarettes etc?"

Both the OP and I asked the seller if her bags smelled like mothballs, to which she responded no. She even went so far to tell me that she hated the smell of mothballs!

I've bought items from both sellers and they were both fine smelling.
Keep in mind that Hong Kong has humid weather and whatever you buy from there may carry a smell that you are not familiar with.
My cousin buys me new clothes and sends them to me and sometimes they do have a smell, I'm just lucky that my bags didn't have the same odor.
Both sellers are super nice so I don't think it'll be a problem...you'll probably have to pay the return shipping too though.

I purchased a smelly bag from a seller in Hong Kong. It was an epi bag, but I never could carry it because of the smell. I tried everything I had read - wadded up newspapers, cat litter, febreeze, leaving the bag inside out for days, dryer sheets, etc., - and nothing worked. I had the bag for probably two months trying to remove the smell, but the seller was very accomodating and allowed me to return the bag for a refund. It wasn't a full refund because I had the bag for too long, but I was just happy to get rid of it. It made my closet stink.

I purchased a smelly bag from a seller in Hong Kong. It was an epi bag, but I never could carry it because of the smell. I tried everything I had read - wadded up newspapers, cat litter, febreeze, leaving the bag inside out for days, etc., - and nothing worked. I had the bag for probably two months trying to remove the smell, but the seller was very accomodating and allowed me to return the bag for a refund. It wasn't a full refund because I had the bag for too long, but I was just happy to get rid of it. It made my closet stink.

It is not worth the stress of doing all those things - better to wait and save and buy a new one.:shrugs:

I would never buy anything from Hong Kong second hand. That strong mothball and cedar scent is forever and never goes away!!! She offer you a refund I would take it instead of waiting.

I read on tPF about how great Let-Trade and authentic_lvlady are so I went ahead and ordered a bag from each of them (even though I was warned by some postings about authentic's problem with odor).

I got a beautiful red epi speedy 30 from authentic_lvlady on Sunday - and, sure enough, it reeks of some sort of nasty chemical smell - a cross between mothballs and skunk. I've aired it out for the past three days - sprayed it to death with Febreze - stuffed it with newspapers and dryer sheets - and nothing. It still stinks. And I don't have the patience to keep at it - I don't want this smelly thing anymore. I just emailed Eva/authentic and told her I'd give her $50 for her trouble but that I want a refund and want to send the bag back - am awaiting her reply.

I also got an 8 year old yellow epi alma from Let-Trade (also arrived on Sunday) - which had a slight musty smell (much less obnoxious than the other bag) - but, frankly, it smells like someone's basement. So I just emailed them now and asked if they have any suggestions as to how to remove the odor - but, to be honest, I'm fed up and want to send that back, too.

Do any of you have any suggestions re: what to do to just get my money back? I wanna cry. :crybaby:

TIA!

My advise to you is to send them back immediately. I know this from experience with your speedy seller. I had to do the same thing. I could literally smell the package when the mailman handed it to me. It was awful. The second seller I had the same problem and decided that I would let it air out for a couple of weeks it smelled the same after a couple of months and I resorted to giving the darn thing away because I couldn't stand the smell. I never used it. Don't wait, don't try anything send them back or you will have money wasted.

ohh so you're the one who bought the yellow alma!! i've been eyeing that for a while then it was gone!

anyhoo, sorry to hear about the stank. i just bought a manhattan gm from authentic ... and guess what. as soon as i opened the box, IT STUNK. my aunt who was walking by even said that the bag stank. it was a mix of cigarettes, some kinda chemical smell, and a little bit of dried seafood. but i don't mind because most of it went away.

eva probably says that the bags don't smell because she lives in HK. When i get brand new things from Korea, they smell too. not a foul smell but "a scent of korea?" lol

they're both great sellers so you'll have NOOOOOOOOOOOO problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.