Helmut Lang Lovers Unite!

Well, my embossed plum leather leggings came and went. :cry: Except for the length, they actually fit me pretty well and the color was ah-mazing. But the problem was that the leather itself didn't seem....like leather! They just looked like regular dark purple denim skinny jeans! I think that the lizard pattern (really more like itty bitty snake scales, a tiny and almost undetectable pebble pattern) and the matte appearance makes it almost impossible to tell that the pants are leather. I definitely didn't want to pay $700 for designer leather leggings that just look like jeans, so sending them back to Shopbop was a no-brainer. I'm bummed but also a little relieved -- $700 back in the bank!

I also received the gray lush voile top (from the HL sale)...as I feared, it is really, REALLY long and overly voluminous on me. The size P almost reaches my knees! I knew I was short, but I didn't know I was THAT short! :rolleyes: I guess with HL, you never know what you're gonna get in terms of shirt length...I was surprised by how short the Lyra is, so I was kinda hoping this top would also be shorter. Oh well. Anyway, if I had tried this shirt on in a department store, I wouldn't buy it because it just swallows me whole. It doesn't look elegantly slouchy on me like it does on you guys. :rolleyes: It's final sale so I can't return it. But the saving grace is that the material is super soft and floaty, so with my leather skinnies and a very high heel (I have a certain Marant stiletto boot in mind) I *might* be able to make it work. I'll try that and report back. :P

PS, Miabella -- I did end up ordering the Cat Stevens tee yesterday night! :biggrin:

Last edited:
This thread is so enabling/inspirational! Thanks Mia Bella for starting it and for sharing your HL expertise!

In a matter of days, I picked up a HELMUT kinetic draped cardie, an alpaca sweater, and 2 asymmetric bras. Bras were on sale, yay! My love for HL started several years ago when I bought a pair of skinny cotton pants with elastic waistband (like precursors to leggings) that are so flattering and slimming. I don't know what they're called but, man, they make me look svelte even though I'm not!

As much as I love brands like Isabel Marant, Rebecca Taylor, and Vince for day wear, I gravitate towards an HL aesthetic (e.g. interesting drapey top and sleek trousers) for an evening out.

Eeek, I can tell this thread is going to be DANGEROUS. :biggrin:

Well, my embossed plum leather leggings came and went. :cry: Except for the length, they actually fit me pretty well and the color was ah-mazing. But the problem was that the leather itself didn't seem....like leather! They just looked like regular dark purple denim skinny jeans! I think that the lizard pattern (really more like itty bitty snake scales, a tiny and almost undetectable pebble pattern) and the matte appearance makes it almost impossible to tell that the pants are leather. I definitely didn't want to pay $700 for designer leather leggings that just look like jeans, so sending them back to Shopbop was a no-brainer. I'm bummed but also a little relieved -- $700 back in the bank!

I also received the gray lush voile top (from the HL sale)...as I feared, it is really, REALLY long and overly voluminous on me. The size P almost reaches my knees! I knew I was short, but I didn't know I was THAT short! :rolleyes: I guess with HL, you never know what you're gonna get in terms of shirt length...I was surprised by how short the Lyra is, so I was kinda hoping this top would also be shorter. Oh well. Anyway, if I had tried this shirt on in a department store, I wouldn't buy it because it just swallows me whole. It doesn't look elegantly slouchy on me like it does on you guys. :rolleyes: It's final sale so I can't return it. But the saving grace is that the material is super soft and floaty, so with my leather skinnies and a very high heel (I have a certain Marant stiletto boot in mind) I *might* be able to make it work. I'll try that and report back. :P

PS, Miabella -- I did end up ordering the Cat Stevens tee yesterday night! :biggrin:

How disappointing about the leather leggings and the lush voile top! But I'm sure that with a good pair of heels, the top will look perfect. I guess it is sort of long in the back but it doesn't bother me.

I received my Basleys yesterday finally. They are super cute and will look great with leggings and skinnies. I like that they resemble the Bobby sneakers but have their own casual slightly boho vibe too (and I'm not a big boho fan either). My only gripe is that the leather is perforated and unlined, which means I can only wear them in warm/dry weather.

Wow, la bella! I just got the patina red like yours but a 6 (I am 40 in French sizing, hopefully they'll be ok...)If they suit me, I'll take a pic...dreamin they'll fit, please! You look awesome BTW, lucky DH!!

Thank you! :smile: And we'll be Fever twins! When do they arrive? I really hope they fit!!

Well, my embossed plum leather leggings came and went. Except for the length, they actually fit me pretty well and the color was ah-mazing. But the problem was that the leather itself didn't seem....like leather! They just looked like regular dark purple denim skinny jeans! I think that the lizard pattern (really more like itty bitty snake scales, a tiny and almost undetectable pebble pattern) and the matte appearance makes it almost impossible to tell that the pants are leather. I definitely didn't want to pay $700 for designer leather leggings that just look like jeans, so sending them back to Shopbop was a no-brainer. I'm bummed but also a little relieved -- $700 back in the bank!

I also received the gray lush voile top (from the HL sale)...as I feared, it is really, REALLY long and overly voluminous on me. The size P almost reaches my knees! I knew I was short, but I didn't know I was THAT short! I guess with HL, you never know what you're gonna get in terms of shirt length...I was surprised by how short the Lyra is, so I was kinda hoping this top would also be shorter. Oh well. Anyway, if I had tried this shirt on in a department store, I wouldn't buy it because it just swallows me whole. It doesn't look elegantly slouchy on me like it does on you guys. It's final sale so I can't return it. But the saving grace is that the material is super soft and floaty, so with my leather skinnies and a very high heel (I have a certain Marant stiletto boot in mind) I *might* be able to make it work. I'll try that and report back.

Aww, such a bummer that they didn't sweep you off your feet! I understand why you returned them though because I had the same feelings about the black Patina Leather Leggings. http://www.helmutlang.com/leather-leggings/C09HW211,default,pd.html?start=8&cgid=sale

I tried them on at Barneys a while ago and they just looked like regular cotton leggings. At least now you don't have to be wary of HL bottoms! And you know your HL leather leggings size too. :biggrin:

Is there any way that the voile top can be shortened by a tailor? And you're right, I bet you will totally make it work. My leggings were final sale too...and I feel you, that stings! Haha. Right when I thought I had the sizing pegged I get burned. :shucks:

Did you get the Cat Stevens tee in an XS? It's a relaxed fit tee and the front is a little longer (it scoops down) than the back. It's nowhere near tunic long or anything like that. You never know with HL length, but it's just a tee. I wanted to give you a heads up ;) You'll love how soft it is. It's so dreamy!

This thread is so enabling/inspirational! Thanks Mia Bella for starting it and for sharing your HL expertise!

In a matter of days, I picked up a HELMUT kinetic draped cardie, an alpaca sweater, and 2 asymmetric bras. Bras were on sale, yay! My love for HL started several years ago when I bought a pair of skinny cotton pants with elastic waistband (like precursors to leggings) that are so flattering and slimming. I don't know what they're called but, man, they make me look svelte even though I'm not!

As much as I love brands like Isabel Marant, Rebecca Taylor, and Vince for day wear, I gravitate towards an HL aesthetic (e.g. interesting drapey top and sleek trousers) for an evening out.

Eeek, I can tell this thread is going to be DANGEROUS.

Hello and welcome! :nuts: What colors did you get in the asymmetric bras? And which color do you use more? I'm contemplating getting another one and I'm edging towards the white. Also, which alpaca sweater did you get? So many amazing ones came out for F/W.

Oh, in case anyone is looking, Forward has the white asymmetric bra on sale for 63. Size small left.

http://www.forwardforward.com/fw/DisplayProduct.jsp?code=HLAN-WI2&d=Womens

Oo tempting! Thanks for sharing! :tup:

For the people in nyc I went to the sample sale today and they had the asymmetric bra for $55.
You can also retweet something on their twitter to get an extra 10% off.

I saw their post on FB about it and was so jealous of you lucky New Yorkers. :girlsigh:

many amazing ones came out for F/W.

I saw their post on FB about it and was so jealous of you lucky New Yorkers. :girlsigh:

don't be. we never were able to get any HL leather leggings on sale. ppl here are too rich...the hard to get stuff would be gone before they get to sale seasons. sometimes i had to go to jersey to get some big discounted stuff.

but i do think we have more varieties here in NYC.

Hello and welcome! :nuts: What colors did you get in the asymmetric bras? And which color do you use more? I'm contemplating getting another one and I'm edging towards the white. Also, which alpaca sweater did you get? So many amazing ones came out for F/W.

Oo tempting! Thanks for sharing! :tup:

Thanks Mia! I got the bras in black and white. I got the black from a local boutique so I've been wearing it -- LOVE!!! So soft and comfy, and it adds a cool twist to plain tops. The white is being delivered from Forward but I know white will be just as versatile.

I'm so bummed that the HL site doesn't ship outside the US!! The asymmetric tanks are next on my list but I can't take advantage of the sale and extra savings code. :sad:

I got this eco fine alpaca sweater in light grey. I REALLY don't need another grey sweater but I don't have any scoop or v-necks. So, with the asymmetric bras, I can finally branch out to lower necklines. :biggrin:

Anyway, I really appreciate your posts and mod pics. As others have said, you're the perfect model for HL and your pics make it all the more tempting for us to buy buy buy!

Attachments

• helmut _eco_fine_alpaca.jpg
    helmut _eco_fine_alpaca.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 691
Last edited:
i went to the HL store to try on the leggings for sizes, and the HL sample sale was going on! it's been on since Wednesday and today is the last day - i think the prices were not rock bottom, but still a percentage off of online. for example, the patina leather leggings in gray and red were $295 and they had all the sizes, the shearling short jackets for $595, sweaters for $195 and those bra tops and tshirts for $55. they moved out all the inventory that wasn't on sale, so i wasn't able to try on the regular black leggings that i think i want.

i am the model of restraint - i didn't buy a thing! i'm becoming an old new yorker - the line for the cash register was too much for me.

HiromiT said:
Thanks Mia! I got the bras in black and white. I got the black from a local boutique so I've been wearing it -- LOVE!!! So soft and comfy, and it adds a cool twist to plain tops. The white is being delivered from Forward but I know white will be just as versatile.

I'm so bummed that the HL site doesn't ship outside the US!! The asymmetric tanks are next on my list but I can't take advantage of the sale and extra savings code. :sad:

I got this eco fine alpaca sweater in light grey. I REALLY don't need another grey sweater but I don't have any scoop or v-necks. So, with the asymmetric bras, I can finally branch out to lower necklines. :biggrin:

Anyway, I really appreciate your posts and mod pics. As others have said, you're the perfect model for HL and your pics make it all the more tempting for us to buy buy buy!

Ooh love that sweater!

How disappointing about the leather leggings and the lush voile top! But I'm sure that with a good pair of heels, the top will look perfect. I guess it is sort of long in the back but it doesn't bother me.

I received my Basleys yesterday finally. They are super cute and will look great with leggings and skinnies. I like that they resemble the Bobby sneakers but have their own casual slightly boho vibe too (and I'm not a big boho fan either). My only gripe is that the leather is perforated and unlined, which means I can only wear them in warm/dry weather.

Hiya Jelly! :P Yeah, I was really bummed about the leggings, but it wasn't meant to be. I'm crossing my fingers hard that the voile top will work out somehow! I agree about the Basleys...I feel like it takes 10 years off my age and has juuuust the right light touch of boho. I actually feel it has an '80s metal rocker feel to it! Do you remember those fringy white ankle boots that were all the rage in the mid-80s?? The Basleys in white totally remind me of those!

Aww, such a bummer that they didn't sweep you off your feet! I understand why you returned them though because I had the same feelings about the black Patina Leather Leggings. http://www.helmutlang.com/leather-leggings/C09HW211,default,pd.html?start=8&cgid=sale

I tried them on at Barneys a while ago and they just looked like regular cotton leggings. At least now you don't have to be wary of HL bottoms! And you know your HL leather leggings size too. :biggrin:

Is there any way that the voile top can be shortened by a tailor? And you're right, I bet you will totally make it work. My leggings were final sale too...and I feel you, that stings! Haha. Right when I thought I had the sizing pegged I get burned. :shucks:

Did you get the Cat Stevens tee in an XS? It's a relaxed fit tee and the front is a little longer (it scoops down) than the back. It's nowhere near tunic long or anything like that. You never know with HL length, but it's just a tee. I wanted to give you a heads up ;) You'll love how soft it is. It's so dreamy!

So right! At least I know my HL bottom size now. :tup: At the end of the day, I really didn't need a new pair of leather pants, so it all worked out in the end. As for altering the voile top, that's an intriguing idea but I don't know anyone skilled enough to shorten something that's cut as unusually as this piece. I have a feeling the drape and hang would be negatively impacted. But yes, I did get the Cat Stevens tee in P! I'm so glad to hear that's uber soft...that's always a priority for me. It should arrive sometime this week....yeah!!

Really pretty sweater!! It'll look SO cool with the asymmetric bra! :tup:

I went on a craaaaazy HL bender this weekend! I was at Allsaints, buying some Damisi boots (on sale, for a ridiculous price - woot) and went by to try on some items at Helmut Lang. I too stumbled on ye olde sample sale. The wait was around 15 minutes to get in and totally worth it.

I agree, those leather leggings look/feel like textured cloth leggings. Even on sale, I would never have considered a purchase. I think the gloss ones are far cooler.

I wound up getting two jackets (both gorgeous,) and two open knit sweaters. I also got two free Helmut Lang tank tops with a knotted back since I spent over $500. I was so close to getting a puffer jacket as well, but, the large made me look like a little kid in a too big winter coat.

Yay, between my new boots and HL items, I am quite pleased :cool:

Last edited:
I went on a craaaaazy HL bender this weekend! I was at Allsaints, buying some Damisi boots (on sale, for a ridiculous price - woot) and went by to try on some items at Helmut Lang. I too stumbled on ye olde sample sale. The wait was around 15 minutes to get in and totally worth it.

I agree, those leather leggings look/feel like textured cloth leggings. Even on sale, I would never have considered a purchase. I think the gloss ones are far cooler.

I wound up getting two jackets (both gorgeous,) and two open knit sweaters. I also got two free Helmut Lang tank tops with a knotted back since I spent over $500. I was so close to getting a puffer jacket as well, but, the large made me look like a little kid in a too big winter coat.

Yay, between my new boots and HL items, I am quite pleased :cool:

That's an amazing score!!! :tup: Oh man, you are SO lucky to live in NYC!!! Congrats and feel free to share mod pics if you like. :graucho: