Hello from a newcomer!

MrsKTI

Dec 26, 2012
Good evening from England!
Please excuse me asking a really basic question (to you Balenciaga experts anyway!). I am new to the brand and this will be my first purchase from them after many years being loyal to Louis Vuitton (and a little bit of Chanel)
I am seriously considering a black city bag and here is where I’m the novice......in the battered/worn/crinkly leather. I’m nearly 5’10 and like a larger bag so I’ve been looking online but am totally confused with all the different names. Would the largest city bag I could have with a shoulder strap be classed as just “large”. I’ve seen another with AJ in the title....I’m totally confused...
Please could someone advise what I should be looking for if I’m after the largest black shoulder strap city bag? (I don’t want the branded strap and I’m a silver hardware girl or I quite like the distressed gold/bronze type one!). I’m in the north east if england and we don’t have any local stores with it to pop in & try so would be ordering online. Many thanks everyone xx

Good evening from England!
Please excuse me asking a really basic question (to you Balenciaga experts anyway!). I am new to the brand and this will be my first purchase from them after many years being loyal to Louis Vuitton (and a little bit of Chanel)
I am seriously considering a black city bag and here is where I’m the novice......in the battered/worn/crinkly leather. I’m nearly 5’10 and like a larger bag so I’ve been looking online but am totally confused with all the different names. Would the largest city bag I could have with a shoulder strap be classed as just “large”. I’ve seen another with AJ in the title....I’m totally confused...
Please could someone advise what I should be looking for if I’m after the largest black shoulder strap city bag? (I don’t want the branded strap and I’m a silver hardware girl or I quite like the distressed gold/bronze type one!). I’m in the north east if england and we don’t have any local stores with it to pop in & try so would be ordering online. Many thanks everyone xx
Hi and welcome to Bal! I'm attaching a few links to some info, it's not current with all styles but will give you an idea of the older styles and compare the City to other bags. The regular City is the largest size (excepting for an XL they made for a brief period, maybe one season, 2017 I think). Here's a link to Bal's listing for the XL, you'd have to look for it pre-loved.

https://www.balenciaga.com/us/classic-new-city-handbags_cod45331275og.html

Otherwise you could consider a Part Time, it's the same style as a City but somewhat larger and has a strap. Anything bigger, like a Weekender or Work, wouldn't have a strap. These bags are all discontinued so it's pre-loved again. You would have a choice of hardware, either the classic brass or the G21(large studs) or G12 (smaller version), the G (for giant) hardware looks like little thimbles. One of my personal favourites is the Velo, more north/south than the City.

These links should give you some good basic info:

https://www.yoogiscloset.com/balenciaga/guide

http://www.lovebbags.com/p/faqs.html

Not sure what AJ stands for other than it came into being about the time they made some straps adjustable so maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure really, it puzzled me as well when it first came out.

Hi and welcome to Bal! I'm attaching a few links to some info, it's not current with all styles but will give you an idea of the older styles and compare the City to other bags. The regular City is the largest size (excepting for an XL they made for a brief period, maybe one season, 2017 I think). Here's a link to Bal's listing for the XL, you'd have to look for it pre-loved.

https://www.balenciaga.com/us/classic-new-city-handbags_cod45331275og.html

Otherwise you could consider a Part Time, it's the same style as a City but somewhat larger and has a strap. Anything bigger, like a Weekender or Work, wouldn't have a strap. These bags are all discontinued so it's pre-loved again. You would have a choice of hardware, either the classic brass or the G21(large studs) or G12 (smaller version), the G (for giant) hardware looks like little thimbles. One of my personal favourites is the Velo, more north/south than the City.

These links should give you some good basic info:

https://www.yoogiscloset.com/balenciaga/guide

http://www.lovebbags.com/p/faqs.html

Not sure what AJ stands for other than it came into being about the time they made some straps adjustable so maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure really, it puzzled me as well when it first came out.

Thank you very much for all your help and taking the time to reply. It is much appreciated xx

Reactions: RT1 and muchstuff
hello and welcome! :wave:
refer to the measurements, the length should be 37 cm, or 15" , that is the classic Medium City

thank y

Thank you.
hello and welcome! :wave:
refer to the measurements, the length should be 37 cm, or 15" , that is the classic Medium City

Thank you, it’s reassuring that you say that re the length. I kept searching incase there was anything bigger! I didn‘t want to buy something and find bigger later on! Thank you xx

Reactions: RT1
thank y

Thank you.

Thank you, it’s reassuring that you say that re the length. I kept searching incase there was anything bigger! I didn‘t want to buy something and find bigger later on! Thank you xx
among all currently produced this City will be the biggest, and it's called Medium.
then comes the S / Small, and mini and nano
anything bigger than Medium (37 cm /15") will be either a discontinued older model (not City, but Work, or Part Time), or quite recent City XL, which corresponds to Weekender and is too big for daily use, imho. Becides, it was only made in Blackout range, as far as i know.

Reactions: RT1 and MrsKTI
The regular City (the largest apart from the XL, as mentioned) is 10″ H x 15″ W x 6″ D. :smile:

I'm a newcomer on here too (born-again newcomer, forgot my log-in from years ago haha) and I've had a few Balenciaga bags over the years!

I have to mention the Part Time too, like muchstuff! Right now, I own a City and a Part Time. Attached comparison photo here, sorry for the bad lighting. The '08 Electric Blue is a regular City while the black (I don't remember what year) is a PT. I'm 5'3" and the City strap is a fantastic length on my shoulders, the PT strap is a little too long on me, but it looks cute cross-bodied even though it comes up a bit high. What I love about the PT is the length of the drop of the handles. I can fit the handles on my shoulder nicely. The handles on the City are smaller and, therefore, they have a shorter drop -- not comfortable on the shoulder. I love my City but, style-wise, I'm a PT lover because I prefer putting the handles over my shoulder and it's much larger (even though it doesn't look it!) and works great for work or running around town shopping. The City is a little taller, but the PT is much more horizontal, east-west oriented. You can tell the difference between them easily when buying because PTs have a stitched line right in the middle of the bag.

PTs are going for great prices pre-loved. I got mine, pretty much brand new, from The RealReal for $495!! Citys tend to go for a little more. And, for some reason, it's harder to find pre-loved Citys in great condition relative to PTs. This being said, I love my City more because of its color and leather (and I don't think I would want a bright PT, as I like bright-colored things in small packages). The leather on my PT is not perfect, but it is a great style.

I'm so excited for you! I hope this helps and gives you some perspective! :smile:

IMG_4576.jpg

among all currently produced this City will be the biggest, and it's called Medium.
anything bigger than Medium (37 cm /15") will be either a discontinued older model (not City, but Work, or Part Time), or quite recent City XL, which corresponds to Weekender and is too big for daily use, imho. Becides, it was only made in Blackout range, as far as i know.
Thank you xx

The regular City (the largest apart from the XL, as mentioned) is 10″ H x 15″ W x 6″ D. :smile:

I'm a newcomer on here too (born-again newcomer, forgot my log-in from years ago haha) and I've had a few Balenciaga bags over the years!

I have to mention the Part Time too, like muchstuff! Right now, I own a City and a Part Time. Attached comparison photo here, sorry for the bad lighting. The '08 Electric Blue is a regular City while the black (I don't remember what year) is a PT. I'm 5'3" and the City strap is a fantastic length on my shoulders, the PT strap is a little too long on me, but it looks cute cross-bodied even though it comes up a bit high. What I love about the PT is the length of the drop of the handles. I can fit the handles on my shoulder nicely. The handles on the City are smaller and, therefore, they have a shorter drop -- not comfortable on the shoulder. I love my City but, style-wise, I'm a PT lover because I prefer putting the handles over my shoulder and it's much larger (even though it doesn't look it!) and works great for work or running around town shopping. The City is a little taller, but the PT is much more horizontal, east-west oriented. You can tell the difference between them easily when buying because PTs have a stitched line right in the middle of the bag.

PTs are going for great prices pre-loved. I got mine, pretty much brand new, from The RealReal for $495!! Citys tend to go for a little more. And, for some reason, it's harder to find pre-loved Citys in great condition relative to PTs. This being said, I love my City more because of its color and leather (and I don't think I would want a bright PT, as I like bright-colored things in small packages). The leather on my PT is not perfect, but it is a great style.

I'm so excited for you! I hope this helps and gives you some perspective! :smile:

View attachment 4830074
thank you very much for your reply. I’m sure I saw a YouTube video comparing these two bags last night. Love the blue xx

Reactions: RT1
XL was done in classic HW as well.

Reactions: MrsKTI and RT1