Heifer International

wow theres a book? I didn't see it in the catalog...I'll have to peruse the website again....thanks for the headsup!

They left it out of the catalog this year:confused1: but it's (Beatrice's Goat) still available. On their site, I had to look under educational and there was this book and one about a heifer. I think I'll get both. Our grandson is fascinated with cows and pretty much animals of any kind.

We've donated to them for a long time too, I like how they emphasize helping women and children become independent, contributing members of their societies. I'll sit on the beach reading their magazine crying about how a mere cow can make the difference it a family being hungry all the time or being able to support themselves and raise and educate their children.

I love their philosophy of teaching self-reliance instead of a hand out.

As I posted last year in this thread, I always gave to Heifer but this year I learned of plancanada.ca, which does very much the same thing but offers items for much lower cost. E.g. you can get 6 rabbits through plancanada.ca for $35, whereas 3 rabbits through Heifer are $60.

This way I can help even more people.

Oh Shoo, thank you so much for thread. This is brilliant. :hugs:
My husband, children and I have been asking one another what we want for Christmas, none of us have a clue - we want for nothing- donating to Heifer International is the perfect gift. I'm telling my Sis about this too.

Oh Shoo, thank you so much for thread. This is brilliant. :hugs:
My husband, children and I have been asking one another what we want for Christmas, none of us have a clue - we want for nothing- donating to Heifer International is the perfect gift. I'm telling my Sis about this too.

Its become a tradition for us now to request donations in lieu of gifts every Christmas. I'll pick a couple of organizations. This year its Heifer and the San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission for closer to home. I think its just money so much better spent.