Hedi Slimane to Replace Phoebe Philo at Celine... Thoughts?

L.Vuitton.Freak

Jason W
O.G.
Aug 27, 2011
Announced via Celine's official IG... What do you ladies and gents think? Personally, I am very interested to see what he has to bring to the Celine brand... Fingers crossed he makes a menswear line.... and hopefully he doesn't slim everything up (because otherwise I won't be able to fit into any of their clothes!).

I am gonna lol if he drops something from the Celine name like what he did for Saint Laurent (maybe remove the accent per se).
fullsizeoutput_c5a.jpeg

I'm very curious what he will bring to the brand.. Most curious about handbags tbh, I love the sac du jour he brought Saint Laurent, so I wonder what he will bring Celine. Love Phoebe Philo, so large shoes to fill IMO, hahah!

I've always appreciated when a brand and creative director that are entirely different come together (I.E. Raf Simons & Dior). However, I genuinely think it'll either be amazing or a major let down. Menswear is what most intrigues me for the brand though.

Reactions: leechiyong
I remember there was a lot of resistance to him (in the YSL subforum) when he arrived at YSL. The initial changes he made and there was talk about his attitude. I sold some of my items and didn't see much from the house that I liked. But, I will admit he did make the brand 'fresh' or rather I should say trendy. There was a cost though - their new bags had significant quality issues.

I'm gonna wait and see what. He does for/to Celine. Should be interesting.

I’m a bit skeptical tbh. I absolutely love Céline aesthetics under Phoebe Philo, and this is what always drew me to the brand. I’m actually considering buying a Céline box bag right now, but feel a bit hesitant after hearing this news. (3100€ is a lot of money to waste if the original brand aesthetics that I love doesn’t hold up 5 years from now)

I've always appreciated when a brand and creative director that are entirely different come together (I.E. Raf Simons & Dior). However, I genuinely think it'll either be amazing or a major let down. Menswear is what most intrigues me for the brand though.
I remember there was a lot of resistance to him (in the YSL subforum) when he arrived at YSL. The initial changes he made and there was talk about his attitude. I sold some of my items and didn't see much from the house that I liked. But, I will admit he did make the brand 'fresh' or rather I should say trendy. There was a cost though - their new bags had significant quality issues.

I'm gonna wait and see what. He does for/to Celine. Should be interesting.
I agree. It's interesting to see different creative directors interpretation of a brands heritage. I kind of think that it deters from brand loyalty though because it's very based on liking the designs. Fans of the previous direction tend not to appreciate the changes, but it appeals to a new base. That said, I can also appreciate when they change because if I were a designer, I wouldn't want to be tied to one brand's history forever.

I'll also add that I remember reading an article given by Slimane about his vision for SLP (should be posted in the sub-forum) and I think Slimane gets a bad rap for the changes he made. I think a lot of the displeasure was that it was such a departure from Tom Ford's time there and that had become the standard, not the original archives. Slimane actually aligned more with the heritage of the brand as opposed to Ford who clashed with Saint Laurent and Bergé constantly. Even the name change, the original name for the RTW line was actually Saint Laurent Rive Gauche. The usage of Yves had previously referred to the couture line.

That said, it will be interesting to see Slimane take on another house where there's been a beloved creative director in place for so long. I personally have like Slimane's aesthetics and am hoping the quality issues at SLP were a result of business decisions that he had little to no control over.