Heavy swelling after doublejaw/v-line, almost 2 months post-op

sodapops

Mar 17, 2019
Hello, all. I had double jaw and v-line at the face dental clinic almost 2 months ago, and sadly my swelling is still very abundant in my jowls and jaw area. I have a shorter chin but sadly I know have a very prominent double chin and my jaws and cheeks are very pronounced. In comparing myself to other photos I've seen, I've become very depressed as it feels as though this may be close to the final results. I got a photo of the bone scan and it's hard to tell the differences, and it simply feels as though my chin got a smaller shave rather than the jaw, making it very boxy. I would love to have some words of encouragement and if anyone else has had similar experiences to me. I feel trapped in my face right now, and I don't know what to do.

It is normal to still be experiencing swelling at 2 months. It is way too early to tell if it's the final result.
For some people it takes 6months to a year to completely deswell. Have you been avoiding spicy, salty, oily foods? Have you been sleeping 40° elevated? How about going for walks everyday? Ice packs? Face compression bands?
It is still important to follow those instructions to keep deswelling. Don't worry!

Hello sorry to hear about your experience but double jaw swelling takes a long time to disappear...
2 month is not enough
Could you share your ct scan ?
I hope you can understand, but I would not like to share them at this time. I may make a thread later down the line sharing my experience however!

It took about 6months or my swelling to go down after my vline surgery . I was worried as well
Thank you

It is normal to still be experiencing swelling at 2 months. It is way too early to tell if it's the final result.
For some people it takes 6months to a year to completely deswell. Have you been avoiding spicy, salty, oily foods? Have you been sleeping 40° elevated? How about going for walks everyday? Ice packs? Face compression bands?
It is still important to follow those instructions to keep deswelling. Don't worry!

I have eating well, as well as having many vitamins for swelling. Should I keep using compression bands? I was told to do the opposite :O I still have it though so maybe I should! Thank you for your helpful post

Reactions: Pakune and krod2017
Hmm if you were to do otherwise I think try wearing it for short period to see how you feel or how the result is. If you feel it causes more swelling, then you can omit it completely.
For me, I only wear it when I feel super swollen, example would be after eating, I'll wear it for 30min-1hr and take it off. Other than that I don't really wear it... I'm 37 days post op currently.

Hello, all. I had double jaw and v-line at the face dental clinic almost 2 months ago, and sadly my swelling is still very abundant in my jowls and jaw area. I have a shorter chin but sadly I know have a very prominent double chin and my jaws and cheeks are very pronounced. In comparing myself to other photos I've seen, I've become very depressed as it feels as though this may be close to the final results. I got a photo of the bone scan and it's hard to tell the differences, and it simply feels as though my chin got a smaller shave rather than the jaw, making it very boxy. I would love to have some words of encouragement and if anyone else has had similar experiences to me. I feel trapped in my face right now, and I don't know what to do.
I've been always wondering how bad the swelling will continue.. did you get back to your work? I'm considering what surgery suits my face.. I don't have any malocclusion but two jaw surgery is quite dramatic isn't it?

I've been always wondering how bad the swelling will continue.. did you get back to your work? I'm considering what surgery suits my face.. I don't have any malocclusion but two jaw surgery is quite dramatic isn't it?
Deciding your face shape- best to consult this with the doctor as they can see how much they can take away according to how low your nerve lays. With that being said, you can still collect pictures of face shapes you like (make sure it's reasonable tho...)
I'm on my 2 month-ish facial contour post-op and I can kind of answer your question. Pretty much the major swelling has all went down but the type of swelling that still remains make you look puffy. I would compare this puffiness to... eating really salty food(instant noodles, high sodium chips) before bed and wake up with a bloated/puffy face. It's similar to that. There are days where I'm more puffy than another however it still isn't noticable for other people so you can go on with your daily life without a problem. The swelling sensation at 2 month-ish point has almost completely disappear. It appears when I move my face too much, smile/laugh too much or talk too much but quickly goes away when I rest my face.

Last edited:
No, i've not gone back to work. I'm an online student at least. I'm 3 months post op now... I wear a face mask everywhere I go out as I am still very noticeably swollen.
Deciding your face shape- best to consult this with the doctor as they can see how much they can take away according to how low your nerve lays. With that being said, you can still collect pictures of face shapes you like (make sure it's reasonable tho...)
I'm on my 2 month-ish facial contour post-op and I can kind of answer your question. Pretty much the major swelling has all went down but the type of swelling that still remains make you look puffy. I would compare this puffiness to... eating really salty food(instant noodles, high sodium chips) before bed and wake up with a bloated/puffy face. It's similar to that. There are days where I'm more puffy than another however it still isn't noticable for other people so you can go on with your daily life without a problem. The swelling sensation at 2 month-ish point has almost completely disappear. It appears when I move my face too much, smile/laugh too much or talk too much but quickly goes away when I rest my face.

I sometimes wish I had gotten contour instead. I can definitely say that my lantern jaw has fixed but I am still incredibly swollen. It's nothing like waking up the next morning and having just eaten salty foods. It looks like I have big swollen granny jowls. I'm crying as I write this. Please, anyone who reads this, understand that double jaw is an extensive surgery... I feel like I may have to get a lower face lift. I was expecting it to not be anything like this. Please, please, please think about what you're doing. I can't go out without people staring at me, so I wear a face mask. At least they don't stare at me because they think my face is odd - just the face mask. I'm sorry for the lengthy reply to your post, it just makes me sad to think of the comparison between the swelling. I feel so depressed I'm crying now.

Just another thing. I don't want this to scare anyone who's considering double jaw. When I pull back my skin, I can see a jaw that I would be happy with. I can't even truly feel the outline of my jaw because of how swollen it is. It's just that... I'm 3 months in. Still very swollen. Still very unhappy. Please understand it may not immediately be what you want. And when you see other people's happy posts, don't believe it'll be the same for you too. I thought it would be, but I've never been more depressed like this in a long time. I fear I may need a lower face lift. As some have said though, I will wait another 3 months until I'm at 6 to give my full evaluation. But please consider your options. Don't get double jaw unless you truly need it. Like I said before, I require a face mask when I go out. People stare either way, but at least here they aren't staring because they can see how odd my face looks. I will try not to be so sad, but it's hard. I was expecting something and I don't have it yet. At the worst, I can't go out and even feel normal anymore. At least when I went out before I didn't feel pretty but at least I didn't get stares. I have the jowls of an older woman unfortunately. And I cry just about every day. Please, please, please consider what you're doing with your face. Like I said, I may get a lower face lift, but I don't have the funds for it right now, otherwise I would consider it.

Reactions: J Cn
Another post... in case anyone's out there like me who feels sad due to swelling. DO take pictures... note your progression. This is something that is keeping me feel okay-ish. It's small and slight, but its there. Please don't give up hope. Not everyone has had the perfect experience like some of these posters have. But that doesn't mean you won't have some progress too. I'm going to post my CT scans in just a moment.

These are my CT scans. I apologize for their low quality. ctscan1.jpg ctscan2.jpg
In 3 months, I'll be past my 6 month post op mark for double jaw and v line. I don't want to post any actual pictures of my face yet, sorry yall. I will do a full review later down the line though in a new thread, and hopefully by then I'll be happy with the results. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: FixedSister
Just another thing. I don't want this to scare anyone who's considering double jaw. When I pull back my skin, I can see a jaw that I would be happy with. I can't even truly feel the outline of my jaw because of how swollen it is. It's just that... I'm 3 months in. Still very swollen. Still very unhappy. Please understand it may not immediately be what you want. And when you see other people's happy posts, don't believe it'll be the same for you too. I thought it would be, but I've never been more depressed like this in a long time. I fear I may need a lower face lift. As some have said though, I will wait another 3 months until I'm at 6 to give my full evaluation. But please consider your options. Don't get double jaw unless you truly need it. Like I said before, I require a face mask when I go out. People stare either way, but at least here they aren't staring because they can see how odd my face looks. I will try not to be so sad, but it's hard. I was expecting something and I don't have it yet. At the worst, I can't go out and even feel normal anymore. At least when I went out before I didn't feel pretty but at least I didn't get stares. I have the jowls of an older woman unfortunately. And I cry just about every day. Please, please, please consider what you're doing with your face. Like I said, I may get a lower face lift, but I don't have the funds for it right now, otherwise I would consider it.
Hi, just wanted to say, hang in there! You're still swollen and double jaw is indeed much more invasive than facial contour hence the slower recovery. I would like to ask though if you got it to improve your bite? If so, how is it now? Do you see an improvement ?
Keep in mind, everyone heal at different pace~ A friend of mine did facial contour but her swelling was really bad for 1.3yr. Swelling even went down to her neck...
She tried everything, from vitamin pills to dieting... Even her surgeon found it strange but now she is fully healed 1.3yr later without any sagging (yet?) She does a lot of face lifting mask (I believe it's called Avajar V). Feel free to look into it, heard it works wonders.
Stay positive! 3 months is still early in the recovery :smile:

Reactions: sodapops
Hi, just wanted to say, hang in there! You're still swollen and double jaw is indeed much more invasive than facial contour hence the slower recovery. I would like to ask though if you got it to improve your bite? If so, how is it now? Do you see an improvement ?
Keep in mind, everyone heal at different pace~ A friend of mine did facial contour but her swelling was really bad for 1.3yr. Swelling even went down to her neck...
She tried everything, from vitamin pills to dieting... Even her surgeon found it strange but now she is fully healed 1.3yr later without any sagging (yet?) She does a lot of face lifting mask (I believe it's called Avajar V). Feel free to look into it, heard it works wonders.
Stay positive! 3 months is still early in the recovery :smile:
Thank you for your positive vibes. It really does help me. I had slight asymmetry in my jaw and protruding chin but mainly it was for aesthetic purposes. My bite is *thank god* just fine now. I can eat about anything (although jerky is still tough as ever). I've seen plenty of people who have the terrible experience of real jaw problems, but thankfully mine are just from an appearance perspective. Like your friend, I'm using different pills that are supposed to assist with swelling as well as exercises in the morning. I'll try and see about that mask though, at this point I would try anything.

Reactions: FixedSister