Heavy influencer led brands

May 3, 2020
Thought I’d share a list of brands that are always ‘advertised’ via influencers or always feature so thought we can share a list to caution before we buy. Regardless of whether you have brought the item or from the brands previously. Given that influencer advertising is only going to increase would be useful to share as it is not always clear what is actual advertising.

You can share opinions too of the brands as well. If something is really good or if something is really bad.

Brands I am cautious of before I ever make a purchase
Smeg - no idea whether it is brought or given to influencers, but every single one seem to have Smeg items all across their kitchen
Missoma
Farfetch
Mytheresa
Holland Cooper
Charlotte Tribury
By Terry’s
Amazon fashion - I think
Kerastase

I would like to add

Lilysilk
Analuisa jewelry
Senreve

Not a brand per say but an app - shoptagr. Heavily promoted. I personally hate it. It does what it claims, but in addition you get tons of unrelated and randoms ads all the time. My email was filled with "alerts".

Speaking of retailers such Mytheresa, Matchesfashion, Luisaviaroma, Farfetch, and NAP. They often work with influencers and it's fine by me. But the problem is that influencers often receive major discounts or vouchers to shop for free from above mentioned retailers. I don't think purchases are disclosed properly and many influencers would rather give their audience the impression that they bought their hauls with their own money, which is misleading in my opinion. Came across this voucher thingy first in Lizzy Hadfield's video and then Geek is chic's video.

Last edited:
I would like to add

Lilysilk
Analuisa jewelry
Senreve

Not a brand per say but an app - shoptagr. Heavily promoted. I personally hate it. It does what it claims, but in addition you get tons of unrelated and randoms ads all the time. My email was filled with "alerts".

Speaking of retailers such Mytheresa, Matchesfashion, Luisaviaroma, Farfetch, and NAP. They often work with influencers and it's fine by me. But the problem is that influencers often receive major discounts or vouchers to shop for free from above mentioned retailers. I don't think purchases are disclosed properly and many influencers would rather give their audience the impression that they bought their hauls with their own money, which is misleading in my opinion. Came across this voucher thingy first in Lizzy Hadfield's video and then Geek is chic's video.
Agreed. I’d like to know what they mean by “partnering with...” and what % discount they get. Makes a difference if they get huge % and if the general public get 10%, etc.

I find senreve bags aesthetically unappealing and they are heavy! Nobody really talks about that!

I agree with everything you just wrote. It's suspicious when the bag is just "so good" and "so perfect". Nobody really talks about how bulky and awkward they look. As handbag enthuasiast I admire the aspect of handbag construction. Senreve is lacking in this department. Instead of aggressive marketing via influencers, I think they should invest on design and product reserach.

I like the brand's philosophy, but personally I don't see senreve bringing anything new to the table. At senreve's pricepoint I would rather buy Coach, Tory Burch and D&B. I think these brands offer good quality handbags with nice leathers in my opinion.

With those Sanreve bags, you can see so clearly that no one who promotes them wears them for pleasure or with any conviction...

I also don‘t like influencers getting into the vintage bag bandwagon. It will only results in rising prices and crazy market mechanics, not to talk overexposure of certain models.

The ones I would not agree on so much as being influencer driven is places like My Theresa. This is a very old bricks&mortar shop which has been a reference in the Munich and by extension German fashion scene long before social media even existed... Plus they sell well-known brands. I am not saying they don‘t use influencers to promote themselves to other markets, but there is no reason not to trust them in the sense that they are not selling their own products and they are a reputable retailer.

Last edited:
Both Charlotte Tilbury and Kerastase are high end beauty brands. CT is makeup, and Kerastase is haircare.

CT is an English makeup artist with her own makeup brand. Her name isn't known to a lot of people, but she does makeup for A-list celebrities, English and American. She uses her products too. I like CT makeup a lot. I have sensitive skin, and I find her foundations to be the least reactive with my skin. I'm only light skinned, so I can't speak for deeper skin tones, but I also find CT foundations to be the most accurate to "real" skintones, aside from Shiseido. CT makeup falls under the Space NK group, which is also responsible for Tom Ford makeup and fragrances, along with many other $$$ beauty brands. By Terry is also a Space NK brand, although I've never tried their products.

Kerastase is a French high end/luxury salon brand. Before, you could only purchase it in the US through "boutique" salons and $$$ department stores. Otherwise, Kerastase is a pretty popular high end haircare brand outside of the US. When I had my hair done overseas, I was given Kerastase for hair maintenance. I have level 2 black hair and went to level 10 platinum blonde. Kerastase made my hair feel and look much healthier than before I bleached it. Swore by their products after that. Kerastase only started to gain popularity in the US when Sephora started to sell them. Their products are pricey for the amount you get, but I really like them. I have fine and straight strands, but I have a lot of hair (thick/high density). I also have an oily scalp. Kerastase is perfect for me, since it doesn't weigh my hair down without over-stripping. I wouldn't recommend Kerastase if you have coarse, dry, or wavy/curly hair, since it might not be moisturizing enough.

In general, don't be dissuaded by brands that work with influencers. Some of these brands and stores are actually fantastic, but they need an extra boost to get attention and sales in America, one of the toughest consumer markets in the entire world. As long as they do well in America, they're almost guaranteed even more success in the rest of the world.

Both Charlotte Tilbury and Kerastase are high end beauty brands. CT is makeup, and Kerastase is haircare.

CT is an English makeup artist with her own makeup brand. Her name isn't known to a lot of people, but she does makeup for A-list celebrities, English and American. She uses her products too. I like CT makeup a lot. I have sensitive skin, and I find her foundations to be the least reactive with my skin. I'm only light skinned, so I can't speak for deeper skin tones, but I also find CT foundations to be the most accurate to "real" skintones, aside from Shiseido. CT makeup falls under the Space NK group, which is also responsible for Tom Ford makeup and fragrances, along with many other $$$ beauty brands. By Terry is also a Space NK brand, although I've never tried their products.

Kerastase is a French high end/luxury salon brand. Before, you could only purchase it in the US through "boutique" salons and $$$ department stores. Otherwise, Kerastase is a pretty popular high end haircare brand outside of the US. When I had my hair done overseas, I was given Kerastase for hair maintenance. I have level 2 black hair and went to level 10 platinum blonde. Kerastase made my hair feel and look much healthier than before I bleached it. Swore by their products after that. Kerastase only started to gain popularity in the US when Sephora started to sell them. Their products are pricey for the amount you get, but I really like them. I have fine and straight strands, but I have a lot of hair (thick/high density). I also have an oily scalp. Kerastase is perfect for me, since it doesn't weigh my hair down without over-stripping. I wouldn't recommend Kerastase if you have coarse, dry, or wavy/curly hair, since it might not be moisturizing enough.

In general, don't be dissuaded by brands that work with influencers. Some of these brands and stores are actually fantastic, but they need an extra boost to get attention and sales in America, one of the toughest consumer markets in the entire world. As long as they do well in America, they're almost guaranteed even more success in the rest of the world.
Doesn’t matter whether they are high end brands. My point was that these are brands that are heavily featured, so we have to caution. I did say to share good or bad opinions because every brand will be doing sponsorships now and it is only going to increase. So doesn’t mean every brand is bad. It’s a good marketing tactic. However, we started watching bloggers because they started off as just “ordinary” bloggers like us, and wanted genuine opinion. They are now gifted almost everything, one that pays more or more likely to get the next deal are probably the ones that will be featured more often.

So when every single blogger is talking about CT instead of hourglass for example I have to ask why. They don’t compare CT to By Terry’s when they do the “advert”. One month it is this, the next month it is that. I don’t have funds to buy a product every month or have multiples of everything. Not saying CT is bad or anything. I just want to be careful that I am spending on products that I will actually like. Not because every blogger “love” the item and is a “must have”. They have received the item. I will not be receiving the item. I will most likely be spending my $$ on something that I have to choose whether to spend on that or another brand instead.

Kerastase, here is also a high end brand that can only be brought from salons, etc (UK). Makes sense for kerastase to do these sponsorships, there’s now a lot of high end hair care brands in Space NK, etc they are getting more attention from US brands.

With those Sanreve bags, you can see so clearly that no one who promotes them wears them for pleasure or with any conviction...

I also don‘t like influencers getting into the vintage bag bandwagon. It will only results in rising prices and crazy market mechanics, not to talk overexposure of certain models.

The ones I would not agree on so much as being influence driven is places like My Theresa. This is a very old bricks&mortar shop which has been a reference in the Munich and by extension German fashion scene long before social media even existed... Plus they sell well-known brands. I am not saying they don‘t use influencers to promote themselves to other markets, but there is no reason not to trust them in the sense that they are not selling their own products and they are a reputable retailer.

Exactly! When I watch them rave about the senreve bag, it makes me wonder if they are actually choosing to use that over their higher priced luxury items or is it just a rainy day bag for them or one they don’t mind getting roughed up during travel. Who knows?! All I know is that if someone gifted me a bag, I wouldn’t openly criticize the bag. Sure...it may be functional but would you spend your money to buy it over putting that money towards another luxury bag?!

I also wonder how often these ladies actually get adequate use of any of their bags....I have a little less than 20 luxury bags and that is a bit too much for me. Will probably downsize next year. I just don’t understand how you can rotate your bags often when you have twice as many or more and then do a proper review on wear and tear when you’ve not really used the bag all that much. I’m probably posting in the wrong thread...maybe I’ll start a new one...

I'll just list things I see them promote endlessly, most of it I haven't bought:

Walmart fashion and beauty (I did buy 2 Balmain dupe blazers brand Attitude Unknown which I like and are nice for $32 a piece)-mostly though I don't even watch if I see it's sponsored by Walmart
Pink Lily
Red Dress
Judith March
Goodnight Macaroon
Tula
Tarte
Dime Beauty-bought the lash serum/mascara when it was on sale but haven't used yet
Artis makeup brushes
Navy Haircare
Living Proof
Brumate
Boutique Rugs
Arhaus

I’m tired of hearing about senreve and lilysilk. I find senreve bags aesthetically unappealing and they are heavy! Nobody really talks about that! lily silk is overhyped...at least the few items I’ve ordered are not the best quality of silk. I’m actually growing tired of watching these endorsements...so now have unsubscribed from a lot of channels.
Can you elaborate on Lilysilk? I was just looking at their stuff since they are having sales right now, but I'm hesitant to spend that much if it's not actually that good. How is construction quality on it and do you find you wear their stuff often enough for what you paid?

As for Senreve, I would agree with the other comments that their bags are not that great aesthetically. While their midi size is cute, I think anything larger than that is just unpractical and needs a slimmer design. I feel like I'd knock someone out with it every time I turned around lol. I did just buy their Alunna though and I have to say it's very cute and a good size (I actually wish it was a tad larger). It was difficult to find non-sponsored reviews for them so I admit I just kind of took a chance on it (the black friday promotion + finding a discount code helped). So far I'm happy with it, enough that I may consider their belt bag.

Can you elaborate on Lilysilk? I was just looking at their stuff since they are having sales right now, but I'm hesitant to spend that much if it's not actually that good. How is construction quality on it and do you find you wear their stuff often enough for what you paid?

As for Senreve, I would agree with the other comments that their bags are not that great aesthetically. While their midi size is cute, I think anything larger than that is just unpractical and needs a slimmer design. I feel like I'd knock someone out with it every time I turned around lol. I did just buy their Alunna though and I have to say it's very cute and a good size (I actually wish it was a tad larger). It was difficult to find non-sponsored reviews for them so I admit I just kind of took a chance on it (the black friday promotion + finding a discount code helped). So far I'm happy with it, enough that I may consider their belt bag.
Yes... I’ve just found that the silk is really thin with the items I have ordered and it’s expensive to have to pay for return shipping when things don’t work out. I bought a dress that I’ve worn once and it’s delicate. I can tell that it could easily rip at the seams. It is not poorly constructed, but again the silk is just thin. Cuyana uses better quality silk (heavier)but their prices are higher and the have less variety in terms of styles.

Senreve— their smaller size bags may be better..Im happy to hear that your experience has been positive as it seems more genuine than an influencer’s opinion.

Reactions: keodi