Heartworm Positive - Need Encouragement =(

Arailah

Nov 5, 2013
Hey All,

Last month, my miniature pinscher Toby tested positive for heartworms. We started his therapy and after 30 days of medication, he received his first round of shots today.

We have been ordered to keep him quiet and thankfully he loves his kennel and he is a pretty lazy dog. While most Min-Pins are hyper, he only gets hyper at the possibility of food, so we just have to figure out how to keep him calm while we get his food prepped.

I'm just feeling completely defeated, guilty and anxious about the whole thing. I've read that the critical part is keeping him calm so that the worms don't start flying to other parts of his little 7 pound body.

I'm trying to keep it together, but I could use some encouragement from others who have been through this process. Did your furry babies make it through okay? Any tips for us to all keep our sanity and keep him calm?

Thank you so much guys...

I have no experience with heartworm, but just want to send prayers and healing light your way. I can imagine the stress and worry you will be going through. Hopefully one of the pup owners will have advice for you. Good luck!

You're treating him now, so try not to feel guilty. I have no advice, but I'm sending calming vibes to your dog and you. I hope it all turns out well and he's completely cured.

No experience here either aside from reading. Plenty of experience with encouragement! Fingers, toes, and paws crossed for Toby!

Thank you guys for the encouragement!

We have been getting a lot of calming words from our vet as well. She is awesome. He was Stage 2 when he was diagnosed, so while this treatment is aggressive he also is expected to come through just fine as long as we keep him calm.

Ugh. I can't wait for this to pass.

A friend of mine had this problem with her dog. I remember the process was long but the dog did come through it just fine. He was constantly crated except for bathroom breaks and eating. Heartworms are nasty. I hope your baby heals up quickly.