heartbroken =( please help

withLVOE

Jun 12, 2012
i just bought my pre-owned phantom. i noticed the handles were fraying a little. i thought no big deal this will be a quick fix.. i took it into a shoe/purse repair store. apparently the handles are going to break off and they have to be re-inforced? so he would have to remove all the stitching on the bag to fix the handles and the green thread he has isn't the same colour its "close". I have never seen or felt another phantom in real life this is my first one. sure the handles feel a little flimsy but it doesn't seem like they are going to rip. I am so stressed out right now. to even just fix the fraying he has to remove the handles which means taking out the stitching,etc.. i paid a considerable amount of $ on this bag and now i am having these problems. i dont know if i should just sell it "as is" and find another one or try fixing this one? does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? i am so upset right now

261emp2.jpg

I don't see what the problem is in taking the stitches apart. I have had several of my designer pieces taken completely apart so not just the one area. Although I do wonder how your cobbler will take apart just the handle tabs... he should take apart actually the entire bag and work from the inside, or else the stitching will appear on the inside suede lining.

What i am concerned about is the different thread color. I would ask to see the thread in person. If it really is "close" then, that's fine, but if there's an obvious color discrepancy I would not do it.

Despite all this said, I do think your best option to get a proper repair job would be to contact Celine's boutiques and ask for advice. Obviously you would be paying for the repairs which I think would amount to at least 300$+++ if not more because you will need brand new handles. I don't know if it's worth it though.

Your other option is to just leave it as is. It's not going to come apart unless you load it with tons of stuff. It's esthetically unpleasing to look at though... May I ask why did you buy this bag in the first place? It just does not seem reasonable for me to buy a preowned bag in this type of condition AND pay a "considerate amount" of money for it. So I would NOT sell it again because you are likely going to lose a lot of money. For this bag, I would not pay more than $500 max.

Last edited:
I don't see what the problem is in taking the stitches apart. I have had several of my designer pieces taken completely apart so not just the one area. Although I do wonder how your cobbler will take apart just the handle tabs... he should take apart actually the entire bag and work from the inside, or else the stitching will appear on the inside suede lining.

What i am concerned about is the different thread color. I would ask to see the thread in person. If it really is "close" then, that's fine, but if there's an obvious color discrepancy I would not do it.

Despite all this said, I do think your best option to get a proper repair job would be to contact Celine's boutiques and ask for advice. Obviously you would be paying for the repairs which I think would amount to at least 300$+++ if not more because you will need brand new handles. I don't know if it's worth it though.

Your other option is to just leave it as is. It's not going to come apart unless you load it with tons of stuff. It's esthetically unpleasing to look at though... May I ask why did you buy this bag in the first place? It just does not seem reasonable for me to buy a preowned bag in this type of condition AND pay a "considerate amount" of money for it. So I would NOT sell it again because you are likely going to lose a lot of money. For this bag, I would not pay more than $500 max.

Well said:smile:
Good luck OP

I didn't think it would be much of a problem to fix the fraying, and to be honest ive wanted a phantom for awhile espec in this colour and i am a very impulsive / impatient person which i know is my own fault. and when i say a considerate amount i am by no means wealthy, so when i work hard and save to treat myself and something like this happens it is upsetting. =(

I didn't think it would be much of a problem to fix the fraying, and to be honest ive wanted a phantom for awhile espec in this colour and i am a very impulsive / impatient person which i know is my own fault. and when i say a considerate amount i am by no means wealthy, so when i work hard and save to treat myself and something like this happens it is upsetting,

I'm sorry sweetie that your first bag has become a huge disappointment for you. I know sometimes we work hard, but things don't always happen the way we want it to. I would recommend in the future though if you have any questions or concerns, please post here and ask first. Even if you're completely sure of yourself (and sometimes I am that way too), it's always a good idea to get others' opinion becuase some people can provide really good insight to an issue or at least provide you with feedback from another perspective. :yes:

I'm sorry sweetie that your first bag has become a huge disappointment for you. I know sometimes we work hard, but things don't always happen the way we want it to. I would recommend in the future though if you have any questions or concerns, please post here and ask first. Even if you're completely sure of yourself (and sometimes I am that way too), it's always a good idea to get others' opinion becuase some people can provide really good insight to an issue or at least provide you with feedback from another perspective. :yes:
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I am going to have a look at the colour of the thread later today. Thank you for all your help!

I agree. Very well said. :smile: