Heartbroken: Chanel SA Mishap!

jaimejovoy

Nov 30, 2016
Hi all--

I had a Christmas Chanel disaster at my home today! :sad:

I had bought my mom (who would never buy Chanel for herself but loves the perfumes and looks) the pineapple brooch from Cruise... understated Chanel styling and fun, like my mom... and I asked my SA to wrap it nicely and put it in a gift bag and give me a gift receipt so she could exchange if she didn't love.

At the same time, I bought myself a CC brooch (my style but not my mom's). Since I live 3000+ miles away from my parents I left my gift wrapped at home and haven't worn yet since I'm not 100% on it yet.

Lo and behold when my mom opens it today it's my CC brooch WITH THE PRICE ON TOP FACING HER. I'm heartbroken and embarrassed that my mom got the wrong gift with the price face up and it will be months before I can remedy it by exchanging the gifts in person since the pineapple brooch is at my home far away. :sad: Since I'm leaving tomorrow and my parents are traveling I can't easily get my SA to overnight.

Has anyone dealt with a situation like this? I'm inclined to return my brooch too because I feel the memory of it is tainted and I will NEVER use this SA again. Ugh :sad:

To me it's a little mix up and not horrifying! It wasn't her gift so her seeing the price is not that horrible. Simply apologize and let her know you'll be sending her gift as soon as you can and keep it moving. The memory of this is what you make it! Shrug it off and laugh at it for what it is. A mix up.

To me it's a little mix up and not horrifying! It wasn't her gift so her seeing the price is not that horrible. Simply apologize and let her know you'll be sending her gift as soon as you can and keep it moving. The memory of this is what you make it! Shrug it off and laugh at it for what it is. A mix up.

The only issue is my mom is very price sensitive and she immediately criticized how much it cost and it turned into a "how can you spend money like that." And then she asked how much the pineapple cost.

Unfortunately Christmas and gift giving means a lot to her and instead the "Chanel moment" of getting a beautiful thing turned into an opportunity to criticize my choices and lifestyle. That's not entirely my SA's fault but it could have been easily avoided.

I get people being price sensitive but it was your brooch to yourself and at the end of the day it's your money to spend how you want. Knowing that your mom is price sensitive be really honest with yourself and ask if the result would've been any different had she gotten the correct gift with the price undisclosed? Nothing in Chanel is under $200, your mother likely would've asked regardless. Gifting is special, and this is an unfortunate mix up. Seems to me it would be best to return her gift and get her something she'd feel more comfortable with price range wise. Keep your brooch it was yours and you shouldn't feel guilt or shame over that.

I guess we see the situation differently. When I go to Chanel, I expect not only great products but impeccable service. It might be a simple mix up (odd seeing as the wrong present was also wrapped differently, my gift receipt was for the wrong item, and I specifically asked for an extra silver camellia inside the box over the pineapple), but it's one that 1) I paid hundreds of dollars to avoid, 2) will cost me a lot of stress and time to replace. All my Chanel purses, shoes, and other items have happy and wonderful memories associated with them beyond the items themselves. I regret that both my brooch and my mom's now can't have a happy memory associated with them.

I appreciate the perspective though, thank you.

I understand what you're feeling. Now her brooch isn't special anymore and yours isn't either.

I'd be so annoyed, I'd want to put the whole thing behind me and just return them both. It's not like Chanel won't come out with something just as cute next season. There's always more to buy.

I guess we see the situation differently. When I go to Chanel, I expect not only great products but impeccable service. It might be a simple mix up (odd seeing as the wrong present was also wrapped differently, my gift receipt was for the wrong item, and I specifically asked for an extra silver camellia inside the box over the pineapple), but it's one that 1) I paid hundreds of dollars to avoid, 2) will cost me a lot of stress and time to replace. All my Chanel purses, shoes, and other items have happy and wonderful memories associated with them beyond the items themselves. I regret that both my brooch and my mom's now can't have a happy memory associated with them.

I appreciate the perspective though, thank you.

This is a tough one. I know it was an honest mistake, but at the holidays, dealing with family, it feels like an abject disaster, especially when you now have your mother questioning your spending habits. (ugh!)

My DH, who (alone with one notable female friend) introduced me to concept of buying luxury goods years ago, has a saying: "When you're spending that much money, shopping should be fun." In other words, it's not just about the item, it's about the experience and the memory of buying it.

Initially, I was going to suggest you just give your mom the pineapple brooch when you can and keep yours. You can even fib a little and tell her that when the store messed up the shipping, they also had the wrong price tags on things! But the more I think about it, I think it may make you feel better to just return both items, and explain to your SA that unfortunately, the experience was so messed up you simply cannot enjoy them (I would say this regretfully, not meanly). I do think the SA should realize that the mixup caused you a considerable amount of stress. Then, take a breath and move on!

i don't get the big deal, but if you feel so strongly that the SA messed up then just return it and say you weren't satisfied and use another SA in the future. perhaps now that the brooch(es) might go back you can explain to your mom that your intentions were to give her something beautiful and etc. and maybe she'd be open to a pre-loved Chanel item (lower cost, which can please many moms), or ask her to come to a Chanel store with you to pick out something special one day. all is not lost, there are so many ways to make this ok.

The only issue is my mom is very price sensitive and she immediately criticized how much it cost and it turned into a "how can you spend money like that." And then she asked how much the pineapple cost.

Unfortunately Christmas and gift giving means a lot to her and instead the "Chanel moment" of getting a beautiful thing turned into an opportunity to criticize my choices and lifestyle. That's not entirely my SA's fault but it could have been easily avoided.

Oh how torn I felt when I saw your post.. I try to refrain from replying cuz I just can relate too much.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your mom. It's just a bad situation that I believe literally no one wanted, including the SA (it's hard to imagine that she did this on purpose to ruin your Christmas but I understand your point and anger that your experience is ruined due to the SA's careless mistake.

First of all. I feel your pain - I really do - especially as this happened to me before though a long time ago (this post brings the memory back and trust me it still feels and stings like yesterday). if it makes you feel any better (which I hope it does), this could totally happen to me and from the posts of others, some of them too!

Shake it off - your intention is really great and noble and your mom knows it too inside that this is because you are a great loving daughter (I'm sure there are ones who forget Christmas nor want to make such a lovely gesture for sure!)

But perhaps her priority is not to recognize that, but rather first her mom instinct to protect and help you already has her looking out for your welfare in how you spend your hard earned $ and can't help but want to help you adjust your sense of value.... (hence the lecture - it comes from a good place too as she's just looking out for you as moms do, whether or not it's needed or justified) :P

Every situation is different, but thought hopefully sharing my disastrous attempts may help provide some perspective that you might be able to glean on what you think would be the best action for this difficult choice in what to do next.

I was much younger, starting out working hard at a good job making (and saving) decent $. I don't buy any luxury goods at the time at all and not into handbags or anything specific. Despite that my mom always lecture me to save save save. Come her birthday I saw this designer bag that was just gorgeous, practical, timeless, and so very nice. it was on sale though still at a price point that I have never/would not spend at. I love it and want it for myself because its gorgeous, and a great deal for what it was, but I would not spend that kind of $ on myself! it's my mom's birthday and I pulled the trigger and bought it for her. I was soooo excited...! I gave it to her during her birthday in high anticipation.... you can see the excellent quality of the leather and design, you can tell it's very nice... my mom opens it up and her face fell. only said "How much did you spend on this?" it proceeded to pretty much the same situation you had above where she "doesn't understand how I spend $" etc. (The kicker was: I wouldn't have spent that on myself at the time).

Icing on the cake: my sister bought her a nice $200 coach leather bag which she happily accepted and continued to use as her go to bag (where mine never made an appearance - she tried to give it back to me on that day but I refused). She seem to make it a point telling people how great that coach bag was etc etc (surely part of her intention to ensure I hear it as part of my "lesson" on value :lol: ).

I was aware that I was being "punished for my own good". I definitely cried that day after returning home. I was also very stubborn (still am), so every holiday/occasion, I amp it up and buy even more expensive goods for her for awhile I was trying to wear her down :P at that point it was just a petty thing that I do that did not make anyone happy. It was just my "phfffftttt!!!" to get it out of my system. :blah:

Long story short, it doesn't work. Our sense of values' ad perspective from our exposed environment too different (I wish I saw it then). I think and feel that I worked hard to earn these things and the reward along with other incentives keeps me reaching higher and doing better. She comes from a generation that worked just as hard but still have to scrimp and save to have what they need. It took me many many years, but I now understand while not that it's impossible to relate to each other - but it's not simple as it's generational and part of the core of who we are that's different - if you attempt it, it will take real finess and patience. It's similar to many who are on this forum because many of their family and friends IRL do not relate and appreciate same thing in same way we do here. (but I get you!!! :hugs:)

To date - the bag that I got for my mom never made an appearance - it's over 15 years. I'm pretty certain it never will. I do secretly hope that she might look at it in the corner of her closet and perhaps she felt slightly good that her daughter got her something nice and smile knowing that I love her - but quite frankly I cannot be sure that she's not cursing at me for buying something that's expensive but not "useful" still holding her closet space hostage. :P The more likely scenario is that she gave it to someone else that she thinks can use luxury goods more.

In my situation, I know now I wish I bought her a coach bag or something like it I know she can appreciate. It's what she's comfortable with coming from me that would make her happy. Something she likes and will use for her lifestyle with her sense of responsible value. (I guess we can be glad we don't have a mom on the flip side who just want their daughter to sell their soul and be money makers? :yes:) The nice bag is what made me comfortable and happy as I want to give her the best I can - even what I wont for myself. Oh don't misunderstand, she can easily afford Chanels and any other luxury brand and she does spend $ on other things, but not on bags for sure. I now know the trick is to find where her sense of worth and value are for different things so like for someone who collects stamps, buying them a $4000 limited edition stamp may shock them and make them tear up with joy, but buying that person a Chanel bag which I love would probably have unpredictable reaction. Many people I know of who hold up a Chanel-like bag and say "see it's just the same thing and mine's better" IRL spend astronomical $ on other things that I can't imagine. it's not that they can't afford it, but we just have different sense in where we perceive value and get our enjoyment from.

I get your desire to cultivate and share something you appreciate and love with your mom though, especially because you live so far away and maybe don't see her often as you like. I do see the other poster's point though that perhaps with or without the SA mix up it may possibly still trigger the value reaction. I mean, realistically there are many brands that others don't recognize like Celine, etc. unless they're into luxury goods. However, Chanel exudes many things we all love here (timeless elegance, etc.) but one thing it also loudly says (whether we want to or not as it's well... quite recognizable) is that it's not cheap...

Perhaps if its possible, find a common ground in what Chanel has to offer and something that she really really loves? does she love scarfs/wallet for example since she thought it's too much $ to spend on brooches?

otherwise, perhaps since you need to sort this out anyway, would you know of something that is equivalent in price point but more up her alley?

I hope that you don't get discouraged by it. it seems to me that she must get that you love her lots to get her a nice gift like this, but maybe it's a matter of calibrating what your and her sense of value is to get her something she's more comfortable with/that doesn't trigger the "mom radar :drinks:

good luck!!!!!

i don't get the big deal, but if you feel so strongly that the SA messed up then just return it and say you weren't satisfied and use another SA in the future. perhaps now that the brooch(es) might go back you can explain to your mom that your intentions were to give her something beautiful and etc. and maybe she'd be open to a pre-loved Chanel item (lower cost, which can please many moms), or ask her to come to a Chanel store with you to pick out something special one day. all is not lost, there are so many ways to make this ok.
I sympathize with OP though as many of my friends don't get the big deal on things like this either, but my mom is also super price sensitive (and many other things) so the internal struggle that goes with pleasing her and getting whacked in the head with an imaginary baseball bat is inconceivable to many whose moms are not like that. Then they had a chance to see it (i cannot tell you the satisfaction that it brings to me when i see the look of shock on their face and the validation that I'm not certifiably insane). It's a tough dynamic to manage... :P

You are absolutely right, all is not lost!!! :smile:

Reactions: kkfiregirl
Update: mom pulled me aside and said to return her pineapple brooch, she doesn't want it (even sight unseen). And she told me not to bother with replacing the gift.

Considering my dad just did the same thing with his gift, it's not a good feeling since I put all my effort into one larger gift for both. And my mom also criticized me for that gift too.

I really don't understand - my mom spends plenty of money on jewelry (certainly more than the brooch) and she spends tons of $$ on random home goods and has 10x more purses than I do (usually not durable brands). A poster above mentioned that everyone has a calibrated sense of value, and my mom's and mine are just different. But I can't help but feel some hypocritical behavior when she'll buy a $500 pearl necklace (or more) but then say it's "not my style" to have a $300 brooch. I guess it's just personal preference.

I think I'll be returning both brooches to my SA and as others said, it was an honest mistake. Still feeling very sad though considering rejection from both parents.

:sad:

Last edited:
Reactions: kkfiregirl
Oh how torn I felt when I saw your post.. I try to refrain from replying cuz I just can relate too much.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your mom. It's just a bad situation that I believe literally no one wanted, including the SA (it's hard to imagine that she did this on purpose to ruin your Christmas but I understand your point and anger that your experience is ruined due to the SA's careless mistake.

First of all. I feel your pain - I really do - especially as this happened to me before though a long time ago (this post brings the memory back and trust me it still feels and stings like yesterday). if it makes you feel any better (which I hope it does), this could totally happen to me and from the posts of others, some of them too!

Shake it off - your intention is really great and noble and your mom knows it too inside that this is because you are a great loving daughter (I'm sure there are ones who forget Christmas nor want to make such a lovely gesture for sure!)

But perhaps her priority is not to recognize that, but rather first her mom instinct to protect and help you already has her looking out for your welfare in how you spend your hard earned $ and can't help but want to help you adjust your sense of value.... (hence the lecture - it comes from a good place too as she's just looking out for you as moms do, whether or not it's needed or justified) :P

Every situation is different, but thought hopefully sharing my disastrous attempts may help provide some perspective that you might be able to glean on what you think would be the best action for this difficult choice in what to do next.

I was much younger, starting out working hard at a good job making (and saving) decent $. I don't buy any luxury goods at the time at all and not into handbags or anything specific. Despite that my mom always lecture me to save save save. Come her birthday I saw this designer bag that was just gorgeous, practical, timeless, and so very nice. it was on sale though still at a price point that I have never/would not spend at. I love it and want it for myself because its gorgeous, and a great deal for what it was, but I would not spend that kind of $ on myself! it's my mom's birthday and I pulled the trigger and bought it for her. I was soooo excited...! I gave it to her during her birthday in high anticipation.... you can see the excellent quality of the leather and design, you can tell it's very nice... my mom opens it up and her face fell. only said "How much did you spend on this?" it proceeded to pretty much the same situation you had above where she "doesn't understand how I spend $" etc. (The kicker was: I wouldn't have spent that on myself at the time).

Icing on the cake: my sister bought her a nice $200 coach leather bag which she happily accepted and continued to use as her go to bag (where mine never made an appearance - she tried to give it back to me on that day but I refused). She seem to make it a point telling people how great that coach bag was etc etc (surely part of her intention to ensure I hear it as part of my "lesson" on value :lol: ).

I was aware that I was being "punished for my own good". I definitely cried that day after returning home. I was also very stubborn (still am), so every holiday/occasion, I amp it up and buy even more expensive goods for her for awhile I was trying to wear her down :P at that point it was just a petty thing that I do that did not make anyone happy. It was just my "phfffftttt!!!" to get it out of my system. :blah:

Long story short, it doesn't work. Our sense of values' ad perspective from our exposed environment too different (I wish I saw it then). I think and feel that I worked hard to earn these things and the reward along with other incentives keeps me reaching higher and doing better. She comes from a generation that worked just as hard but still have to scrimp and save to have what they need. It took me many many years, but I now understand while not that it's impossible to relate to each other - but it's not simple as it's generational and part of the core of who we are that's different - if you attempt it, it will take real finess and patience. It's similar to many who are on this forum because many of their family and friends IRL do not relate and appreciate same thing in same way we do here. (but I get you!!! :hugs:)

To date - the bag that I got for my mom never made an appearance - it's over 15 years. I'm pretty certain it never will. I do secretly hope that she might look at it in the corner of her closet and perhaps she felt slightly good that her daughter got her something nice and smile knowing that I love her - but quite frankly I cannot be sure that she's not cursing at me for buying something that's expensive but not "useful" still holding her closet space hostage. :P The more likely scenario is that she gave it to someone else that she thinks can use luxury goods more.

In my situation, I know now I wish I bought her a coach bag or something like it I know she can appreciate. It's what she's comfortable with coming from me that would make her happy. Something she likes and will use for her lifestyle with her sense of responsible value. (I guess we can be glad we don't have a mom on the flip side who just want their daughter to sell their soul and be money makers? :yes:) The nice bag is what made me comfortable and happy as I want to give her the best I can - even what I wont for myself. Oh don't misunderstand, she can easily afford Chanels and any other luxury brand and she does spend $ on other things, but not on bags for sure. I now know the trick is to find where her sense of worth and value are for different things so like for someone who collects stamps, buying them a $4000 limited edition stamp may shock them and make them tear up with joy, but buying that person a Chanel bag which I love would probably have unpredictable reaction. Many people I know of who hold up a Chanel-like bag and say "see it's just the same thing and mine's better" IRL spend astronomical $ on other things that I can't imagine. it's not that they can't afford it, but we just have different sense in where we perceive value and get our enjoyment from.

I get your desire to cultivate and share something you appreciate and love with your mom though, especially because you live so far away and maybe don't see her often as you like. I do see the other poster's point though that perhaps with or without the SA mix up it may possibly still trigger the value reaction. I mean, realistically there are many brands that others don't recognize like Celine, etc. unless they're into luxury goods. However, Chanel exudes many things we all love here (timeless elegance, etc.) but one thing it also loudly says (whether we want to or not as it's well... quite recognizable) is that it's not cheap...

Perhaps if its possible, find a common ground in what Chanel has to offer and something that she really really loves? does she love scarfs/wallet for example since she thought it's too much $ to spend on brooches?

otherwise, perhaps since you need to sort this out anyway, would you know of something that is equivalent in price point but more up her alley?

I hope that you don't get discouraged by it. it seems to me that she must get that you love her lots to get her a nice gift like this, but maybe it's a matter of calibrating what your and her sense of value is to get her something she's more comfortable with/that doesn't trigger the "mom radar :drinks:

good luck!!!!!
@Vanana Thanks for sharing - I think we share the same mother...lol......

Reactions: Vanana
Something similar happened to my mom with my grandpa just recently. She bought him a new blanket (he was still using the same one from 20 years ago) because she didn't want to see him with old belongings (he lives alone in a retirement home) because it's heartbreaking. Anyways, he screamed at her, saying she spends money on extravagant things and pretty much belittled her, treated her like she's a kid. She was so upset and they are not on speaking terms right now. She ended up returning the blanket. Her feelings were really hurt [emoji53]