Heartbroken. Any advice?

bulletproofsoul

Always on the hunt
O.G.
Jan 18, 2007
I realize this problem could be so much worse, but I am so upset. I have been putting money away for a UHG which is largely out of reach, but I figured I wouldn't mind the challenge. A seller listed a BIN for a bag that I went crazy over, and would be a great compromise for my UHG, with a price that was amazing. I put the item on my watch list and started listing some beloved items that I figured I could do without since I was getting an amazing bag out of it. With these sales and what I had saved up, I had enough for the bag. THEN I noticed the seller dropped the price by $250! I quickly pulled the trigger. Yay! I was so excited! I let the seller know how happy I was and I was transferring money to my account and would pay as soon as the transfer completes. The seller messages me the next day and says that they were selling the bag for someone else and they don't have it, it's been sold by that person! I am FURIOUS!

Looking at this seller's feedback, I see they've done this before. I realize that I can't force them to sell a bag, but the fact that they lowered the price just minutes before I purchased makes me even angrier. At this point, is there anything I can do? I know I can neg them, and I haven't received a cancelation request (this was a pricey bag), but from what I understand, ebay doesn't really address or penalize NPS anymore. Any additional advice would be very appreciated. I transferred money to my PP account, sold items and everything for this bag and I'm quite angry right now.

I realize this problem could be so much worse, but I am so upset. I have been putting money away for a UHG which is largely out of reach, but I figured I wouldn't mind the challenge. A seller listed a BIN for a bag that I went crazy over, and would be a great compromise for my UHG, with a price that was amazing. I put the item on my watch list and started listing some beloved items that I figured I could do without since I was getting an amazing bag out of it. With these sales and what I had saved up, I had enough for the bag. THEN I noticed the seller dropped the price by $250! I quickly pulled the trigger. Yay! I was so excited! I let the seller know how happy I was and I was transferring money to my account and would pay as soon as the transfer completes. The seller messages me the next day and says that they were selling the bag for someone else and they don't have it, it's been sold by that person! I am FURIOUS!

Looking at this seller's feedback, I see they've done this before. I realize that I can't force them to sell a bag, but the fact that they lowered the price just minutes before I purchased makes me even angrier. At this point, is there anything I can do? I know I can neg them, and I haven't received a cancelation request (this was a pricey bag), but from what I understand, ebay doesn't really address or penalize NPS anymore. Any additional advice would be very appreciated. I transferred money to my PP account, sold items and everything for this bag and I'm quite angry right now.

You can call ebay & "vent" & since this seller has a history of doing
this exact thing you should bring it to the attention of ebay.

You can agree not to cancel the mutual, file a NPS & you can neg them..

Not sure you an do much more & sorry that you were so disappointed
after saving & lusting for the bag..

I'm sorry you have to deal with this but it's not like you can force them to send you the bag. You can neg them and refuse the cancellation.

Hopefully you'll be able to find another one in your price range.

Part of the reason ebay has (sort of) eliminated the NPS ding is because they now penalize sellers who have DSR and feedback dings.

If you haven't paid though, you can't leave feedback or if you do, they'll remove it. My suggestion is to make the payment. That way, if she refunds you, you can at least leave feedback.

Part of the reason ebay has (sort of) eliminated the NPS ding is because they now penalize sellers who have DSR and feedback dings.

If you haven't paid though, you can't leave feedback or if you do, they'll remove it. My suggestion is to make the payment. That way, if she refunds you, you can at least leave feedback.
really?
I know you are very experienced with much more knowledge of ebay than me but I'd hesitate to pay for something that I'm not going to get (esp since OP says it was a high price)

really?
I know you are very experienced with much more knowledge of ebay than me but I'd hesitate to pay for something that I'm not going to get (esp since OP says it was a high price)

I tend to agree... The seller will have to send the buyer a mutual
cancellation.. If the buyer doesn't agree the seller won't get her fees
back although if the OP does indeed decide to pay the seller has to refund
& this is all time...is it all worth it just to leave feedback... only OP can decide

really?
A buyer who pays for an item will win INR (and get a refund) if the seller doesn't deliver! Remember that in cases like this the buyer has the upper hand.

If no payment is made, feedback will be removed and the buyer will have a non-payment feedback ding on her account. That's why I suggest making the payment.

Note that seller can request a mutual whether payment is made or not. Buyer doesn't have to agree to the mutual either way.

With sellers selling on multiple sites and/or for someone else, this is going to happen from time to time. As the OP said, this problem could be so much worse. I would just move on. To pay for something (particularly a high end item) out of spite to be able to leave a negative is just not worth it IMO. And it could just cause you additional aggravation. You can decline the mutual but the seller can just go to ebay to get the FVF's returned so I wouldn't do that either.

I would want to be able to leave a negative for this. If that means paying and receiving a refund, so be it. Sellers like that need to be held into the light. Buyers won't know of a defect, but they can read feedback.
I would use a credit card. But, you will win the INR if it goes that faar.

With sellers selling on multiple sites and/or for someone else, this is going to happen from time to time. As the OP said, this problem could be so much worse. I would just move on. To pay for something (particularly a high end item) out of spite to be able to leave a negative is just not worth it IMO. And it could just cause you additional aggravation. You can decline the mutual but the seller can just go to ebay to get the FVF's returned so I wouldn't do that either.

If you agree to the cancellation and the reason is "do not have item/out of stock" I think that qualifies as a defect under the new rules.

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in. These are exactly the issues I was trying to figure out. I do think this seller should be negged for this and has before. Like I said, he/she lowered the price of the item just minutes before I decided to pull the trigger. That's kind of what reassured me that this was definitely the bag for me. But if seller never receives payment, can I even do this? Will dinging their stars even stand? And if I refused the request for cancellation, could they go ahead and get their fees back anyway? (Seems like they can, if I don't pay.)

And yes, if I *do* pay, we are talking around $5K. Not exactly chump change. I'm really not a spiteful person, but I do think this seller needs to be adequately penalized for this behavior. I would say a neg/DSR dings and some sort of ebay seller "strike" would be fair, but it seems none of those can happen if I don't pay for this item I will never get. I understand that mistakes happen, and I sell too, so I try to be as fair as I can. But this is something that the seller has done before and clearly they "sell" items they really don't have, with no sort of mention on their listing of being a consignor, having a shop, not having items in their possession, or selling the item on multiple platforms.

For me, it depends very much on the price range of the bag. If we are talking Coach price range, that is one thing. If we are talking Hermes price range, that is quite another. Honestly, my inclination would be to let it go, but I would not be willing to put thousands on a credit card while waiting for eBay/PP to do the right thing. What if Seller goes crazy and tries the old box of rocks trick so an "item" was in fact received?!?

Last edited:

I would think if the seller refunds the money after buyer pays, there would be
no need for the buyer to file an INR as the item would not be shipped

There is no doubt a principle involved here but too many unpleasant
obstacles IMO for the buyer to subject herself to..just to leave feedback which
might be removed... & I would not put $5K on my credit card to
have an issue with & I would not take the funds from a checking
account either or pp account.. but that is just me

Perhaps OP might consider a phone call to Ebay & have them look at this
seller's feedback & selling history...

Last edited:
But this is something that the seller has done before and clearly they "sell" items they really don't have, with no sort of mention on their listing of being a consignor, having a shop, not having items in their possession, or selling the item on multiple platforms.

Many (most?) sellers do not mention any of these things in their listings. Many imply that they are selling their own items and it is up to the buyer to figure out, or guess, that nobody has that many "personal items".

IMO negs should be saved for sellers who scam buyers, sellers who under describe the items they are selling, sellers who threaten or try and intimidate buyers. Ebay sellers who do not sell are just like ebay buyers who do not buy. They are nothing more than a nuisance that come with the territory. Again IMO.

Many (most?) sellers do not mention any of these things in their listings. Many imply that they are selling their own items and it is up to the buyer to figure out, or guess, that nobody has that many "personal items".

IMO negs should be saved for sellers who scam buyers, sellers who under describe the items they are selling, sellers who threaten or try and intimidate buyers. Ebay sellers who do not sell are just like ebay buyers who do not buy. They are nothing more than a nuisance that come with the territory. Again IMO.

I guess. I didn't really look at the seller's other listings to know what they were selling or how many items they sell. I just looked at their feedback briefly. I have 3 times the amount of feedback they do, and I only sell my own personal items, or items that I have in my possession. :shrugs:I did think that if you were selling on ebay that you couldn't sell the same item anywhere else, but maybe I'm wrong.

I guess I'm in the minority. I think sellers *should* be able to neg buyers who never paid. Heck, they can't neg a buyer no matter how criminal, harassing or awful they are.