Food healthy but yummy meals and snacks

missme411

Jun 2, 2009
It seems like all I eat is fast-food and I'm so tired of it! I want some healthy recipes that make me feel satisfied but still taste good! Please don't say grilled chicken and steamed broccoli...that is just too boring! lol And it doesn't have to be DIET...just something good that isn't coated in grease! :smile:

I usually try to cook on the healthy side- if you want more recipes give me an idea of if you like salads, fish, meat, etc and I can be more helpful, but here are a couple of ideas.

tilapia tacos- you need: some tilapia or other white fish, 1 avocado, 1 lime, 1 lemon, garlic (I buy it prechopped in the jar) 1/2 an onion, I buy a container of mango salsa (or whatever u prefer at the store), taco wrapping of your choice (ie- soft flour, soft corn, I wouldnt go crunchy, not as healthy)

saute the tilapia in a smidge of olive oil after salting and peppering (and throwing on maybe some cumin and chile pepper flakes, whatever you like)

chop up the avocado and a bit of onion, mix in garlic to taste, add salt, pepper, a bit of salsa and about 1/2 the lime and 1/2 the lemon (juiced)- mash up

put all together in wrapper to taste, with some salsa.

they take like 10-15 min to make and are great with a nice salad on the side.

orzo with turkey sausage, spinach, tomatoes and feta-
cook orzo in pot, drain, remove sausage from casings- saute in a bit of olive oil and chopped garlic, add spinach and tomatoes and feta at very end, mix in cooked orzo.

any kind of turkey burger, just be sure to use a ww bun-
I;ve topped with swiss and mushrooms
feta, tomato cucumber onion
salsa, cheddar
whatever you like basically.

this one is surprisingly tasty- it even though the combo doesn't sound that appealing at first (at least it didnt to me) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/351250

little pasta looks like huge rice kind of- any little pasta would be fine. you could even probably do whatever pasta you have on hand, but orzo's my fav for this particular application, the texture goes well with that mix of ingredients i think.

My husband is on the South Beach Diet, so I try to cook healthy at home for him. We haven't had fried chicken and mac n cheese in forever, so I made this healthy version tonight. Loved it, and both dishes took less than 30 minutes from prep to dinner table!

Oven Fried Chicken (with almond crust)
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (can use reg bread crumbs if it's easier for you)
1/8 cup (1/2 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 cup finely chopped almonds
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
Pinch of ground black pepper
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 chicken breasts
Sprig Italian parsley, for garnish

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400°F.

In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, almonds, parsley, garlic, salt, thyme, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.

Place the oil in a shallow dish. Dip the chicken first in the oil, then dredge in the crumb mixture. Place the chicken in a shallow baking pan.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the center of a piece registers 170°F and the juices run clear. (Do not turn the chicken during cooking.) Garnish with the parsley.

South Beach Macaroni and Cheese

8 oz whole-wheat elbow pasta
1 Tbsp trans-fat-free margarine
1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 1/4 C fat-free half-and-half
1 C shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees

Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente (tender but still firm to the bite), about 6 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water for 30 seconds.

While pasta is cooking, melt margarine in a wide, straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add flour, reduce heat to low, and whisk continuously until flour is incorporated and cooked, about 2 minutes. Add half-and-half, bring to a simmer, and cook, whisking frequently, until blended and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add cheese, salt, and pepper; stir until blended. Add pasta and stir until coated and warmed, 1 minute. Transfer to an 8x8 baking dish and bake for 10 minutes. Serve hot.

These all sound amazing! I didn't make any of them last night, but I did make some chicken tacos for lunch today.

And I got a bag of orzo to try that recipe. It sounds so good! And I'm going to try the chicken too...

porridge with cinnamon and banana

broccoli in cream sauce (just sauteed with garlic in some butter, add some cream, salt, nutmeg and grated parmesan)

cauliflower sauteed with garlic and soy sauce

red pepper chicken in cream sauce

lemon chicken

mixed veggies and chicken with soy sauce, rice as sides

I can post the detailed recipes if anyone is interested. I recently discovered cooking and love veggies, so I guess I cook quite healthy (apart from the cookies I make lol)

My favorite snacks:

Hummus with whole wheat homemade pita chips... just spray pita triangles on a baking sheet with a little olive oil. Add some herbs, parmesan cheese or pepper or cayenne pepper, whatever you want! Bake at 400 about 7 minutes or until brown. (p.s. Homemade hummus is even better but store bought will suffice.)

I love snacking on olives, nuts, dried fruits, and pumpkin or sunflower seeds.

Get whole wheat crackers, spread on a little nutella, and top with fresh berries.

For a side dish:

Whole wheat couscous with olive oil and fresh chopped tomatoes.
Baked sweet potato fries brushed with olive oil and garlic, light salt and pepper.
Baked asparagus with parmesan cheese

My mum gave me this recipe for dip which tastes great with carrots sticks, celery sticks and broccoli florets (dipped in).

1 tub sour cream (light)
1/2 packet french onion soup
handful of spring onions (eschallots)