health insurance or louis vuitton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

einnamarie421

Mar 8, 2009
my boyfriend owns his own law practice and i for the most part just do a lot of hiking and ocean sports * i do work sunday nights bartending a few hours at a french lounge~ neither one of have health insurance and have not needed it *knock on wood* (yet). anyways, the other evening on our way to the louis vuitton store i told him we should probably go ahead and get health insurance because well, ya never know! the sad part is.... for the thousands of $ we spend on my dang purse fettish could be going to other uses that benefit our future. so ofcourse i chose to have a 3 thousand dollor purse over health benefits. does anyone make rediculous decisions like this? i suppose in some way or another, my hand bags contribute to my health because they make me happy :smile:
please tell me i am not the only one!!!

well this one is hard.. I do it too sometimes, but not to extend of health insurance.. Instead of paying off my bills I go buy purses.. but i alwayz make it up after two weeks.. it more like delaying my payment.. I am in the same boat as you handbag does make me happy too... My boyfriend call it "THERAPY"

i am 28 yrz old with no kids, if children were in the picture then yes.... i would set my priorities in the right direction. i have a cat and dog and well... my cat did cost me about 4 grand last winter. so maybe i need animal insurance? ha ha. he got in a fight with a raccoon and my poor spike got gaingreen plus a staff infection! after a two week vet stay and half his paw surgically removed, i had a rather large $$$ bill.
he was worth every last penny, i love him. awe, i am going to make him snuggle me right now.

Well, in The Netherlands we can't decide if we get insured it's mandetory. However I think you should get insurance over bags just because anything can happen you can have an accident at work and fall and break something.

For me, that wouldn't even be a question.
Health insurance for me is a basic need, right up there with housing, food, etc.
One accident or illness can lead to so much debt, that you might not be able to afford anything for a long time.

Do I make sacrifices for my bags?
Sure, my husband and I have been talking about moving into a bigger place. I then calculate how much more we will have to spend on rent per year and I rather spend that money on bags, travel and other "extra stuff". :P
But we do have a nice enough, yet very small apartment in a great part of the city and are saving up to buy some day.

i am 28 yrz old with no kids, if children were in the picture then yes.... i would set my priorities in the right direction. i have a cat and dog and well... my cat did cost me about 4 grand last winter. so maybe i need animal insurance? ha ha. he got in a fight with a raccoon and my poor spike got gaingreen plus a staff infection! after a two week vet stay and half his paw surgically removed, i had a rather large $$$ bill.
he was worth every last penny, i love him. awe, i am going to make him snuggle me right now.
OT but why does it say you're 29 on your profile?

anyway, you said you got a $3k bag instead of insurance... i'm assuming your bf bought it. so you can get your health insurance yourself no?

I think most of us would agree, that our health is more important than any bag or other louis vuitton item. Whats the point of having all these luxuries if you cant enjoy it in good health. Seeing that you've also mentioned that your a country person on a big farm, accidents can always happen. My friend got seriously injured during break in a ocean sport accident and had to be air lifted to the hospital. After all the surgeries, and pins placed where broken bones were. I'm sure her family is grateful for insurance. But then again, i'm a city dweller and am not familiar with country life.

Last edited:
Get health insurance as soon as possible. It is very costly to get insurance after one becomes chronically ill or permanently disabled. (Hope neither one happens to you!)
Disability insurance is great to have too.

Health insurance. I can't see how those two even come close in comparison. I can see you giving up going out to eat at restaurants in order to save for a bag but you are really gambling here. In the end, it doesnt really matter what our tips are, you are the one who has to decide what is more important to you. I had a good friend who just died of stomach cancer....she was 31.

I work for a practice of neurosurgeons and I have seen way too many healthy people be in the wrong place at the wrong time and end up in the hospital with severe head and/or spine injuries and have to go into surgery. Those bills could be in the $100,000's once you add up the hospitals, radiology, and physicians charges.

As bad as some health insurance companies are, there is no way I would be without:nogood:

Maybe it's just me but I don't see how anyone could compare the value between the two.

However, to try to answer your question, if I were in your situation where I wasn't the one bringing in the money I would go with the health insurance as that benefits both of us instead of being selfish and spending someone elses money on materialistic things.

Status
Not open for further replies.