Heads Up Air Travellers!

I heard on the news last night that the airlines recommend that you go directly to the luggage claim area and try to beat your luggage there. That way you can spot it as it comes out ... the longer you leave it there the more likely it can get picked up by a waiting thief. Apparently they stake out the baggage claims and take random bags. :cursing:

They also said that if you think your bag was stolen to contact airport security immediately...as well as the airlines. If they know they are dealing with a thief they can try to catch them faster - when people only contact the airlines and not security the thieves keep going.

I never check anything valuable...medicine, jewelry, etc., always comes with me and my checked luggage is nothing fancy. I am totally paranoid about having my luggage stolen or lost but there's no way I could fly without checking luggage.

I have honed the fine art of travelling with only my carry-on, and I am so glad (for lots of reasons, including the topic of this thread). It makes me so sad that people steal things.

Wow what a nightmare! I try to pack my most loved clothes/jeans/bags etc into my carryon and never check those in. I had lost a luggage bag before flying via Qantas and I lost everything as I didn't have a separate carryon that time.

I had to waste one whole day of my holiday buying daily necessities and bemoaning the loss of my fave jeans and clothes. That was a nightmare.

Making this even scarier, the airlines (at least American) limit their liability for lost checked luggage to something like $2800! You can buy extra insurance up to $5000, but even that is not really enough to cover a lot of us. Not to mention that many of the items I love and take when I travel are not really replaceable. So frustrating.