Headed to Paris...not sure what to buy. Ideas please...

smarts

O.G.
Aug 29, 2009
I'm headed to Paris and would like to purchase a bag while there. I'm not sure what to buy so I was hoping to get some ideas and suggestions on where to shop. As much as I would like to buy a Hermès I think it will need to wait for my next trip. Some of the French designers I already own are:

Chloe
Saint Laurent
LV
Celine
Lancel

Please share your ideas. Thanks!:smile:

Paris is a good place to buy a Chanel. There are quite a few shops there and they get new merchandise most days. You can save some money....although you need to make sure the bag you get is exactly what you want. Once you return home, it will be very hard to exchange it-I learned that the hard way.

I usually try to buy a bag from a local designer when I travel. The dept stores have some really nice ones. There are smaller shops scattered around with more variety than we'll find here-Jerome Dreyfuss, Gerard Darel..there are so many beautiful shops. If you haven't been before, I also learned the hard way that it's not acceptable to pick up items and look at them-you need to ask.

Please take window pics-the displays are just so beautiful. When are you going?

I was just in Paris a couple weeks ago. I went shopping on Avenue des Champs-Elysees, that's where a lot of higher end boutiques are. The Louis Vuitton store is multi-story and beautiful, I'm not sure if you were only looking for brands you don't already own. I also saw Gucci and Longchamp, I would imagine they have a lot of other great stores there, but I didn't spend too much time in that area. It's very beautiful, have a great time! Don't forget to show us what you get :graucho:

Paris is a good place to buy a Chanel. There are quite a few shops there and they get new merchandise most days. You can save some money....although you need to make sure the bag you get is exactly what you want. Once you return home, it will be very hard to exchange it-I learned that the hard way.

I usually try to buy a bag from a local designer when I travel. The dept stores have some really nice ones. There are smaller shops scattered around with more variety than we'll find here-Jerome Dreyfuss, Gerard Darel..there are so many beautiful shops. If you haven't been before, I also learned the hard way that it's not acceptable to pick up items and look at them-you need to ask.

Thank you for your response. I will be there the week before Thanksgiving. Like you, when I travel I like to buy from a local designer (e.g. when I went to Italy I bought Fendi, Prada and Ferragamo). We had an overnight layover in Paris on the way home, which is when I picked up my Lancel. I'm thinking it may be Chanel, Balenciaga or another Celine. I don't really use my current one because of the denim transfer on the white. I know the more common Chanel bags are shoulder bags and I'm more of a tote and/or satchel girl. Hmmm...great info, which it will keep in mind. Thanks!

I was just in Paris a couple weeks ago. I went shopping on Avenue des Champs-Elysees, that's where a lot of higher end boutiques are. The Louis Vuitton store is multi-story and beautiful, I'm not sure if you were only looking for brands you don't already own. I also saw Gucci and Longchamp, I would imagine they have a lot of other great stores there, but I didn't spend too much time in that area. It's very beautiful, have a great time! Don't forget to show us what you get :graucho:
I will share what I buy...promise!:biggrin::smile:

I totally agree. Gérard Darel and Jerôme Dreyfuss are great French brands!:smile:

I totally agree. Gérard Darel and Jerôme Dreyfuss are great French brands!:smile:
Cool! I actually have a Gérard Darel midday hobo that I love. The leather is great. I was considering a Jerôme Dreyfuss Johan. Great ideas. Where is the best place to shop? I've been to the Champs Élysées where I purchased my Lancel.

Why waste precious time in Paris going to generic LV/YSL/Chanel shops where you can find almost identical McGlobalizedLuxury as in all their other shops... and forgo the excitement of hunting for one-off, true vintage, high-quality pieces in the wonderful flea markets of Clignancourt et al?

Here´s a guide with useful tips about them: http://goparis.about.com/od/shopping/ss/Navigating-Paris-Best-Flea-Markets.htm
This is great! I was looking for places to shop.

Why waste precious time in Paris going to generic LV/YSL/Chanel shops where you can find almost identical McGlobalizedLuxury as in all their other shops... and forgo the excitement of hunting for one-off, true vintage, high-quality pieces in the wonderful flea markets of Clignancourt et al?

Here´s a guide with useful tips about them: http://goparis.about.com/od/shopping/ss/Navigating-Paris-Best-Flea-Markets.htm

I don't mean any disrespect to your idea but just want to share my experience. For years I dreamed of going to Paris and to the flea markets-I planned my trip around spending a day there. My DH promised me the bag of my choice for an anniversary gift. We went to the big market and I was never so disappointed in my life. Everything was so expensive and it didn't seem like a flea market at all-but a very expensive antique mall that kept going and going. I saw a handful of vintage bags but they were so rude about letting you look or touch anything-I couldn't imagine how I could even buy one.

I left the market after a full day with a handful of vintage post cards. It was such a waste of the day except for a great lunch where we met some really nice tourists.

It seemed to me if you are looking for a bag, Chanel has a pretty good selection there as compared to the boutiques here, but I l would focus on a local designer that you won't find much of in the US. We were there about two years ago, and I noticed that so many things in Paris in the tourist section now saw made in China, so buyer beware....