He thinks Im a chew toy!!....

Jahpson

O.G.
Aug 26, 2007
My pal Shah (who I am currently raising for the rest of the summer and part of the fall while his owner my brother is in school) is teething (he is about 12 weeks now).

He has four toys: a chew bone, a rope, Mr. blue (a long blue stuffed animal) and me.

How do I get him to stop biting me? I tried to google tips and some of them have worked but when he gets in a playful mood, my skin takes the beating.

So far, everytime he bites me I try to yelp like a puppy (doesnt work) or I say NO or say ouch. I don't think he understands me. My brother told me to pat him on the nose, but I don't believe in hitting and I highly doubt that would work.

So far I have tried the cry thing and isolating him by ignoring him or leaving the room (and closing the door after me) for a couple of minutes when he bites. I don't think it works.

Can anyone give me ideas? I want to teach him that skin is made for licking and not for chewing. I really appreciate it.

You're doing all the right things, by ignoring him. It takes time but they soon get the hang of it. In the meantime, wear rain boots and thick leather gloves around the house!!!!!

Some people have told me the spray bottle technique works -- just regular water in a spray bottle or water gun. I haven't tried it yet myself but my sister and her husband used it with great success.

i have a spray bottle but it only sprays misty water. will that work?

will it make him more aggressive? because thats not what I want.

btw: he chewed my adapter to my laptop lol

a firm "no" and a growl (yes..a growl..lol) should work....that is what the mom does when the pups do something she doesnt like...also remove your body part (lol) from his mouth when you do it and put a chew toy in his mouth instead immediately...if that doesnt work a tap on the nose is ok..it doesnt hurt them at all...just a light tap to distract him...my boxer was a big mouther as a puppy and it was the only thing that worked with her...it was actually a trainer who told me to do it because nothing else worked and it was getting painful...good luck!!!

also...try to get him the "kong" puppy pacifier...it is a great chew toy and the dogs love it...you can even put treats inside...give him lots of praise if he stops mouthing you when you correct him...he will get it...

First of all, no tugging on dresses or pants or anything else. Allowing some playful chewing can make it harder for him to discern ok chewing from not ok chewing. It is really best to go with no chewing at all.
Another method to try is if he snaps at you or after he nips or bites you. Firmly grab his snout. Roll his lips under his teeth, so that if he tries to bite you, he bites himself. Look him in the eyes and give a very firm 'no'. Do not be the first one to break eye contact. That ought to do it.

Yes, yelp VERY loudly, sharp and shrill, if the puppy mouths or bites you (that's what his mom or litter mates would do if they get nipped). And then stop playing with the puppy, turn away and ignore him for a few minutes. He will learn that if he plays too rough, playtime will end.

Make sure he has a lot of chewing toys, bones, etc. since he is teething...and remove any objects you don't want chewed from his area.

There's a product called "Bitter Apple" they sell at pet stores that has a bitter, unpleasant taste...I'm wondering if you spray it on your hands a few times before playing with the pup, he might learn not to mouth or bite you?? Not sure if this will work or not...I spray it on my dog's leash as she likes to grab the leash with her mouth and play pull...and it stopped her from doing that.

For small dogs, it is good to give them a wet and frozen wash cloth, tied in a knot. Worked great for my sweet little baby Shih Tzu. She stopped teething and then stopped chewing it. The cold cloth helps the little gums feel better. I only train in a postitive way. They really need to be understood. They cannot talk so we have to figure out a positive way to help them.

a firm "no" and a growl (yes..a growl..lol) should work....that is what the mom does when the pups do something she doesnt like...also remove your body part (lol) from his mouth when you do it and put a chew toy in his mouth instead immediately...if that doesnt work a tap on the nose is ok..it doesnt hurt them at all...just a light tap to distract him...my boxer was a big mouther as a puppy and it was the only thing that worked with her...it was actually a trainer who told me to do it because nothing else worked and it was getting painful...good luck!!!

im going to try it, if it works with mom it should work with me.

update. i dont think im growling right. he gives me this funny look. I think he was laughing

Last edited:
First of all, no tugging on dresses or pants or anything else. Allowing some playful chewing can make it harder for him to discern ok chewing from not ok chewing. It is really best to go with no chewing at all.
Another method to try is if he snaps at you or after he nips or bites you. Firmly grab his snout. Roll his lips under his teeth, so that if he tries to bite you, he bites himself. Look him in the eyes and give a very firm 'no'. Do not be the first one to break eye contact. That ought to do it.

good idea. i just hope that he doesnt get angry when i do that.

I have worked as a vet tech and that technique works with most dogs as long as you kind of stare the dog down and keep your dominant stance. You can also try blowing in his nose too (not directly into it). That is usually enough to get his attention and let him know you mean business. Just make sure you are far enough away so that your face is not directly in the dog's face. I hope that makes sense.

our pom loves to attack feet (just my mom's though). we've tried everything- the tap on the nose, rattling coins in jars, firm NOs, yelping like a puppy, bitter apple. if we turn away to ignore him, he just goes around and latches onto your toes again :P

he's about 15 months old now, and we still haven't been able to break his bad habit. best of luck to you! i know how frustrating this training is.