He said yes, I said no...H in Madrid

SCL

Dec 23, 2005
Wow! So much to catch up on... Just returned from Europe... A few H notes...

First kelly sighting...gold 32 GH at my new favorite Mexican restaurant in Madrid...

Last birkin sighting...dark forest greeen GH at the LAX baggage claim...

Many in between and a few fakes as well...DH learned much about H in our visits to Hermes in Madrid...then Bond Street, Sloane Street, and Harrods in London...

Was very tempted in Madrid...learned that the 35 kelly is the perfect size for me...but the fushia/rose shocking color was not...but the chevre was sooo nice...

Madrid also had the new travel kelly in stock (believe it was etoupe) as well as the lindy...not tempted...

Was tempted by the kelly clutch in Madrid...but only bag available was the orange suede...not sure about suede...

Then...asked about ostrich...SA gives me a smile and indicates I should wait for a moment...

First ostrich...orange 25 birkin...so cute...but so small...

Then the big unveiling...gold ostrich 35 birkin with GH...OMG! DH loves ostrich and gets "the look" on his face...I try it on...it is amazing...DH indicates it is a definite...SA is very complimentary...I decide I cannot pass it up...

I get to the register...I am filling out VAT forms...I think to myself, "Do I really want this bag?"...I ask the SA to wait...she looks at me like I am crazy, DH looks at me like I am crazy...I indicate the sale will go on...

I now have the VAT form filled out and am ready to hand over the AMEX...I ask DH if he is sure...he says of course...I say to the manager, "OMG...I am not certain...I need to think about this for a bit"... She says I should give myself a few moments to decide...walk a bit...have a glass of wine, etc...

I walk out of the store, DH thinks I am crazy...

If you knew at that very second you had to have it, then I could see you walking out the store with it. But since you didn't, it's good you left without it, because you will know when it is the right bag when it hits you. You are obviously a shopper who knows what she wants (or rather does not want) and isn't swayed by what others say. That is a good thing!

Yes, I walked out of the store with DH...did a bit more browsing...but...nothing else was tempting... Had lunch... DH asked if we were going to return to H...I indicated not...

I kept thinking to myself, if the 35 kelly was available in a black or a neutral brown, I would purchase it it a second...if the kelly clutch was available in black or a neutral brown leather, ostrich, or croc I would purchase it in a second...if the 35 birkin was available in black PH or a neutral brown leather I would purchase it in a second...there were just too many bags higher in my priority/wish list...

The next day were were off to London...I was "hopeful"....

So...off to London...

First stop...Bond Street...where I had the misfortune of being "greeted" by a not-so-friendly SA...only one kelly on display...a 32 (I think) fushia/rose shocking (I am not so sure of the difference between these two colors)...I ask if they have any 35s in stock...not...

Off to Sloane Street...now, this store was a bit more fun to "explore"...the agendas were all in a touch-friendly case...they had so many colors...I told DH that we must do "research"...met up with a very friendly SA...looked at a few wallets and tried out the barenia farming bag (I think that is the name...the one Gina pictured on her Paris thread)...very cute bag, but proportions were not quite right for me (I am truly "Miss Fuss" about fit)...looked again at wallets...now if the havanne ostrich would have been a birkin, I don't think I would have passed it up...note...several gorgeous croc wallets...no purchase...oh, I forgot...I did try the bolide in ebene...DH had developed kelly preferences at this point...off we went...

On to Harrods...might have had the best display of H bracelets...a few bags...no temptation...and my contacts had developed a haze...perhaps from several glasses of wine at lunch...we talk about where to go next...

Back to Bond Street...was fortunate to be greated by a very nice SA this time...looked at several wallets...note...was interested in the AZAP but only saw it in rose shocking and turqoise across boutiques...no black or neutral brown colors...tried on a croc vespa, too small...not really tempted...almost tempted by chevre wallet, but decided against in the end...so sad, no H on this trip...

Now, off to...the GAP...yes, the GAP...the only purchase of the day...our bags did not arrive in London initially...two finally arrived, but we needed to stock up a bit on basics (tees and underwear...located in bag number three...note...a Wacoal bra that costs $40 or so in the US is almost $100 in London...I don't think so...GAP it was)...

SoCal, you did the right thing. These bags are so expensive that they need to hit you like a ton of bricks on the noggin' with want before you should buy one. That Birkin was not your bag and good thing you figured it out there before you'd have to turn around and resell it.
I think what you really want is an ostrich retourne Kelly?
I'm in such a Kelly mood, too right now!

GT, It is so funny that you mention selling it... DH really thought I should buy it...he even asked about selling it if I decided against when I returned home...I said I thought I could, but it would be such a PITA...

I think I might be "over" ostrich...I kept trying to imagine wearing it...in my life...in SoCal...bottom line was it seemed a bit "fussy" to me...gold ostrich with GH...and (you can laugh)...for some reason, I thought it made my thighs look large...(well, compared to the way my black birkin hides them so nicely)...

SoCal, you're really brave...to turn down the ostrich at the very last... I don't think I could've ever done that. You did the right thing following with your heart. So sad to know you didn't score any H bag, or maybe there's more story??