HBO: Perry Mason

Anyone watching this new HBO show? I'm on episode 2 and am truly addicted. I've never watched a Perry Mason TV series before so all is very new to me. The dark 1930s Los Angeles background and a bunch of very mysterious and shady characters. This show is simply amazing.

Mathew Rhys at his best!

I spotted this new thread and had to chime in. This is so far removed from the Perry Mason of my youth you can not even imagine! I too am addicted! For me to say I may go back and watch the first two episodes to pick up on anything I missed is very rare. For me to also say by the second episode that I actually put down all electronics and gave it my undivided attention is also very rare!

Reactions: p3b

Ratings are good for this show. Like @vildachya I put down all electronics as well. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PS: love the woman who plays Sister Alice. She is FIERCE. So weird and all kinds of adjectives that makes me speechless. Couldn't take my eyes off this woman. She's mesmerizing in an evil way!

The actress who plays Sister Alice is Tatiana Maslany. Check her out in Orphan Black. She is so amazingly talented!

I'll have to check this out. I like Matthew but there were some negative reviews so I wasn't sure. I don't really care if it's not similar to the original - as long as it's good.

I am sure I saw every episode as a kid. I do not even think about the original while watching it. If it wasn't for the characters having the same names, you would not know you were watching Perry Mason. I have not read any reviews, just saw the title and decided to check it out.

The second episode is gruesome... the way the makeup and special effects crew created those maimed bodies was so realistic looking. Fantastic show, I am hooked for more.

PS: love the woman who plays Sister Alice. She is FIERCE. So weird and all kinds of adjectives that makes me speechless. Couldn't take my eyes off this woman. She's mesmerizing in an evil way!

I agree, fierce is right. But you just know there's skeletons in her closet.

The scene where Emily and her walk out of the church was so visually contrasting!

Reactions: Grande Latte
I’m watching too. I was surprised at how radically different it is from the original series I watched as a kid. But I’m not disappointed. It drew me right in. The acting and production quality are great. And I really like the film noir vibe.

Reactions: SittinInCoach
I agree, fierce is right. But you just know there's skeletons in her closet.

The scene where Emily and her walk out of the church was so visually contrasting!

I'm rather dense, oftentimes I pick up certain details, while missing a whole scene. :smile::sad::P

I know Sister Alice is quite sinister and bizarre. A church leader with that wild hair, red lipstick, and body-hugging satin dress? But I first noticed she was off then she met Emily and offered her condolences in the small office. How Sister Alice shook Emily's hand and her face revealed that she knows more than let on.

The sermons was incredible. "What the heck was that", said her mother, and I felt the same. Throughout the speech, I could feel the earth moving and my heart beating fast. This woman is no ordinary actress, she's a STAR and she steals the show!