HBO: Perry Mason

Looked up some trivia related to the series. Camilla Nygaard, the wealthy woman in the oil bisiness is loosely based on Emma McCutchen. Summers. I think it was amusing that the writers used her maiden name for the murder victim.

Wikipedia

Emma Summers (née McCutchen, 1858 – 1941) was an American oil tycoonin the 1890s and the early years of the twentieth century.

Emma Summers, from a 1901 newspaper article in The San Francisco Call about the "Oil Queen of California"

Emma Summers and her mansion on Wilshire Boulevard. From Sunset magazine, 1911.

Personal life and education​

CareerEdit

In 1892, soon after taking up residence the city, she took note of the rising oil business in Los Angeles.[1] The following year, in 1893, she used $700 that she had earned in her piano teaching business to invest in half ownership of a wellnear her Los Angeles home.[2] Soon developing a keen interest in many facets of the oil business, she educated herself about many phases of it. At first, there were mixed results and occasional setbacks.[3] However, she soon acquired more wells and took an active role in managing her growing business. As a Sunsetmagazine article from 1912 later reported, "She was an expert in testing oil, hired all the men" and was involved in every part of the business.[4]
By the early 1900s, Emma Summers had built an oil empire and was perhaps the most important oil tycoon in the area. Her success was widely noted, and she became known as California's "Oil Queen"[5] (or variations of that appellation, such as “California's Petroleum Queen"[6]). The San Francisco Call said she was "A woman with a genius for affairs," adding that "it may sound paradoxical, but the fact exists. If Mrs. Emma A. Summers were less than a genius she could not, as she does today, control the Los Angeles oil markets.”[7]
As the oil boom subsided, Summers's fortunes declined. By 1915, the peak years of her oil business were over and she largely stepped away from her previously high-profile business life.[8]

Last edited:
Another thing that I found creepy, when I saw it, was the scene when the two brothers and the future wife go back to the site where their old home was located and you see a structure in the background still in the process of being constructed. That was the well known Los Angeles Coliseum. The writers fiddled with the time line as it was a tally constructed in the 1920’s and not the 30’s.

wikipedia

The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (also known as the L.A. Coliseum) is a multi-purpose stadium in the Exposition Park neighborhood of Los Angeles, California. Conceived as a hallmark of civic pride, the Coliseum was commissioned in 1921 as a memorial to Los Angeles veterans of World War I. Completed in 1923, it will become the first stadium to have hosted the Summer Olympics three times when it hosts the 2028 Summer Olympics;[12]the stadium previously hosted the Summer Olympics in 1932 and 1984. It was designated a National Historic Landmark on July 27, 1984, a day before the opening ceremony of the 1984 Summer Olympics.[11]

Well, this thread has been awfully quiet. Probably because the show hasn't been that great so far this season. I think that last night's episode finally got to a good place. Lots of questions regarding the real business dealings of the McCutcheons who are proving themselves to be sleazier by the minute. Something has to happen with Camilla Nygaard. She is far to interested in Della and the murder case. What deal is she involved with? She is a rival to the McCutcheons, but is she backstabbing them or is she working with them somehow?

Della killed it in court. Many question as to how her relationship with Anita will play out.

Big question about Pete. How did he know about the gun and how did he know the combination to the safe or where it was?