HBO: I Know This Much is True

Mar 19, 2007
I stumbled across this new HBO TV series and couldn't take my eyes off of it. It's currently on second episode, but there's SO much going on already.

Mark Ruffalo is a great, dynamic actor. He plays two roles (twin brothers). One is far gone mentally and chops off his own hand, meanwhile the other is struggling to stay sane, obligating to care for his twin brother while dealing with his own demons. I can feel his pain through and through and although this show is super depressing, the drama is relatable on so many levels.

Love the woman who plays his ex-wife as well as the new shrink for his brother. Dialogue, storyline, acting,...etc. everything is so real.

For sure, Mark Ruffalo will win something for his acting. I guarantee it. But brace or the darkness.

Reactions: mal
Although I don't remember the details, this was my absolute favorite book years ago... Since I don't have HBO, I'll have to wait for it to hit netflix or hulu! :P

This TV series is shot really well, the actors/ actress are incredible in it too. There are bits and pieces of details from Thomas and Dominic's past that are being revealed like a jigsaw puzzle. Thomas is incarcerated, meanwhile Dominic reminisces about his ex-wife (Dessa) their deceased baby, and a better life if he didn't have to care for Thomas. Too many what-if's.

There was the kindergarten trip, where Thomas was locked in the back of the van. There was the mixed race girl Dominic didn't like, got her suspended, then a few days later discovered was dead,...etc. It seems like this pair was doomed from the beginning. A series of tragedies follow them. More darkness will swallow them both.

This TV series is shot really well, the actors/ actress are incredible in it too. There are bits and pieces of details from Thomas and Dominic's past that are being revealed like a jigsaw puzzle. Thomas is incarcerated, meanwhile Dominic reminisces about his ex-wife (Dessa) their deceased baby, and a better life if he didn't have to care for Thomas. Too many what-if's.

There was the kindergarten trip, where Thomas was locked in the back of the van. There was the mixed race girl Dominic didn't like, got her suspended, then a few days later discovered was dead,...etc. It seems like this pair was doomed from the beginning. A series of tragedies follow them. More darkness will swallow them both.
Oh good. I'll wait on this one and then by the time I get to it there will be more episodes to watch.

Oh good. I'll wait on this one and then by the time I get to it there will be more episodes to watch.

Good idea, except every episode is SO intense, I need a week's break to watch the next one. Man, Mark Ruffalo is really, really good in it. I never intended to watch this show, but accidentally came across the first episode and just couldn't take my eyes off of it.

Good idea, except every episode is SO intense, I need a week's break to watch the next one. Man, Mark Ruffalo is really, really good in it. I never intended to watch this show, but accidentally came across the first episode and just couldn't take my eyes off of it.
my pattern with most of the dramatic series on HBO has been to watch an episode or two each night. did that with Big Little Lies, The Leftovers, the Outsider and now watching Deadwood. Will see how many episodes are available when I get around to this one.
thans for the info

has anyone ever experienced a missing episode from HBO? I'm missing season 3, episode 2 of Deadwood. the list of episdoes goes from 1 to 3. I called my cable provider and HBO; neither could help. HBO suggested maybe having the cable provider reolad HBO.
I've already skipped on to episode 4 so not the end of the world but odd and annoying.

I was intrigued by this limited (6 episode) series solely because of Mark Ruffalo who is also the executive producer. It's beautifully scripted, beautifully shot & I swear you'll be Googling "Does Mark Ruffalo have a twin?" How they pulled that double role off is ingenious.

I agree - it's dark - but also hopeful.

After last night's episode 5, I threw my hands up and yelled, "HOW ARE THEY GOING TO TIE THIS ALL UP WITH ONLY ONE EPISODE LEFT???!!!"

I'm holding on wayyy too tight. :biggrin::biggrin::panic:

Reactions: Grande Latte
I was intrigued by this limited (6 episode) series solely because of Mark Ruffalo who is also the executive producer. It's beautifully scripted, beautifully shot & I swear you'll be Googling "Does Mark Ruffalo have a twin?" How they pulled that double role off is ingenious.

I agree - it's dark - but also hopeful.

After last night's episode 5, I threw my hands up and yelled, "HOW ARE THEY GOING TO TIE THIS ALL UP WITH ONLY ONE EPISODE LEFT???!!!"

I'm holding on wayyy too tight. :biggrin::biggrin::panic:

Haha. Last night's episode was wonderful. The dark family history sort of makes sense now and explains a lot of the behaviors exhibited by these two brothers. I love them, but I sort of hate them too.

And then, the master con, how did Dominic pull it off: one against the whole system. It was so cunning and laughable. I also can't believe there's only one episode left.

I watch Insecure too. And there's only one episode left. I'm going to miss these two shows.

Last edited:
I'm really rooting for Dessa and Dominic to get back together. They really love each other. But at the same time, I worry that the Dominic Dessa loved is not longer there, but slowly being replaced by Thomas. After all, they are twins.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone. But the finale is just SO GREAT. Everything clicks together and makes sense. Thankfully the storyline took a more revealing, but later positive spin of this this family so all ends relatively well.

Great performance by Mark Ruffalo. I think he'll win an award for this.