Hayden Harnett Chocolate Havana Luxe (Looong)

GUNG

Aug 25, 2007
Undoubtedly, the Hayden Harnett Havana Luxe in Chocolate is a beautiful bag. The body of the bag is constructed of the most heavenly soft leather I have ever felt on any bag. The leather is thick, supple, smooth, slightly pebbled, and has an ultra-rich feel to it. The woven top contrasts and complements the body beautifully, and on each side of the flap you can see subtle multi-tonal hues of mahogany, chocolate, and espresso browns.

Inside, there is a signature Hayden Harnett cotton twill lining done in the paisley print that was so prevalent last season (when this bag was in production).

On the outside, there are the delicate brass studs that come on all the other Havanas and that highlight the bag in a most elegant fashion.

Despite all this, I dont love the bag. Like nearly all Hayden Harnett bags I own, I very much like the bag, but have not yet fell in love like I have many times over with Rebecca Minkoff bags, for example. I think part of that reason lies in the fact that this (and other Hayden Harnett) bags are not just slouchy but they are almost overly-slouchy?? Of course, that is just my opinion. You can see the pics below, how the bag slouches inward, how it would not lay flat against the body, and how the woven flap can be a tad cumbersome to un-slouch and open up. Perhaps I ought to test-drive the HH Inka, as I have heard glowing reviews about the bag, and from what I see, the bag is not slouchy at all, it sits straight, hangs straight, and has just enough "form" and structure to it to keep it from looking rumpled.

Sorry for the long spiel! I just wanted to express my thoughts about this bag. I had hoped to fall madly in love tonight, but reluctantly, I have come to accept that this isnt the bag for me, but with all that beautiful weaving, perhaps I might just change my mind!:shrugs:

Attachments

• CIMG4640.JPG
    CIMG4640.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 624
  • CIMG4643.JPG
    CIMG4643.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 104
  • CIMG4644.JPG
    CIMG4644.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 105
  • CIMG4646.JPG
    CIMG4646.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 97
  • CIMG4649.JPG
    CIMG4649.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 101
gung i had a black luxe havana that i wound up selling because to me i couldnt deal with the fact that the whole bag was SO slouchy and the woven part was too different and too stiff :sad:

IM sorry you arent in love with it tho some ppl adore them, but i guess it doesnt work for everyone :smile:

haha what in the world :smile: i read what you wrote and now its gone :smile:

I had bought the one i had on ebay, had it for a few weeks and ALSO felt the SAME WAY like i was supposed to love love love it and i just didnt and finally i decided nope i just dont love it and cant make myself and sold it and NOPE :smile: never ever missed it! :smile:

Finding exactly the bag that is right for us takes time.

I bet I have bought and sold 3 dozen designer bags before I finally saw a trend, I liked bags with two short handles and a long strap for shoulder, EW style, somewhat of a satchel and really quality leather.

I suspect you are culling through the shapes and qualities to find your style. Don't fret. Enjoy the process.

There's so much to love about the bag....but if you don't totally and completely love it, it's time to move on! Sounds like you should consider returning it and/or selling it, letting it find a home that is better suited for it, and spending your $ on something that you truly, madly, deeply love.

I had a havana hobo (non-luxe) that I also thought I was supposed to love and didn't, ended up sending it back. I also had 2 Nicos which I ended up selling. I now have a gaza hobo which I like (don't love). I haven't found an HH bag yet that I just absolutely love.

I had an olive Havana Hobo that I sold as well. I didn't like the shape and how it was against my body. I also sold a Nico b/c it was way too large for me. I also sold my Suki b/c while I did like it, I wasn't reaching for it at all. My one and only HH bag is my Dominique Hobo, not the Satchel, the Hobo. I got it for $118 during one of their earlier sample sales. I adore this bag. It's also one of the only bags that I have received compliments one. One person tried to get me to give her the bag or sell it to her!

Aw Gung, I'm sorry you don't LOVE it, but there are lots of other bags out there. As I keep saying, I love my HH Anas. I think that I have discovered that I like a little structure in my bags.

Funny you should mention this. I took my black Havana out of the closet yesterday to photograph (I take pics of all my bags every so often for insurance purposes) and realized I hadn't worn her in almost a year. The tiny details are really beautiful, and the leather is amazingly soft and smooshy, but as you said...it's almost too soft. If I don't feel the need to take the Havana out pretty soon, I'll probably sell it.

I understand what you're saying Gung. I tried the Havana Hobo but also found it too slouchy and the flap just plain annoying. I need a bit more structure to a bag. So far, the only HH bag that I have and use is the Gaza satchel and, while it is slouchy, there is a lot more structure to it and the top zipper allows for very easy access.

Actually, on me I prefer the Inka. It's a bit more structured than the Havana which is too slouchy on me as well. Strangely, though, the Nico looks really good on me -- I think the Havana is just a little too squat.