Travel Hawaii suggestions for a weak swimmer?

Planning to go in May....Honolulu and Waikiki....1st time ever.

Place to stay? Budget friendly yet a good place to stay?

Things to do and not to miss?

Things to avoid?

Should I get a travel agent?

Good time of the year to go?

THX

I am also not a very good swimmer, I love the ocean but only go in up to my waist where I know I can get out quick if I get hit with a wave, lol...
Anyone have suggestions on which beaches in Maui I can visit? I will be in Hawaii 8 days.
Thanks!

I think the best snorkeling spot on Maui is at Ahihi Keanau Marine Reserve:

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/sites_to_see/ahihikinaupreserve.htm

No waves, easy access....depending on how busy it is you may have to park up the street and walk. It's in south Maui after the Makena Resort.

After seeing a shark (TINY reef shark :smile: ) at Molokini the trip before, hubby was afraid to go back in the water. This was the perfect place to get him back in. No waves, shallow with lots of great fish.

A co-worker told me today his brother stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort and stayed in one of the Tower Rooms and he said these were more modern than the cottages. He said they had a fab time and service and rooms were excellent. Has anyone here been to this resort?

I have not, sorry! I've stayed in the Westin, Hyatt and Marriott in Kaanapali.
And the Marriott, Fairmont, Grand Wailea and Four Seasons in Wailea.

Last edited:
I forgot about the Grand Wailea.

The best by far was Four Seasons Maui - AMAZING everything, every attention to detail, very personalized service there.
Fairmont Kea Lani was also fantastic.

Least favorite was Grand Wailea. The pools were not kept up; heaping piles of soiled towels everywhere, service in general was very poor.

In Kaanapali, I remember liking them all about equal; no issues ay any.

But Four Seasons beats them all hands down. It's pricier, of course, but you are not nickled and dimed while you're there and you're treated like a celebrity.

I am still looking at hotels, condos, etc.. I was able to get air fare now searching for places to stay in Mau. In Oahu we were thinking about the Outrigger Reef on the beach for our first 3 days then looking to stay at Hyatt Regency in Maui for the balance of my trip.

We had dinner at the Hyatt and it was really nice.

We stayed at the Royal, which is in the same area. The tower rooms are really nice.

A co-worker told me today his brother stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort and stayed in one of the Tower Rooms and he said these were more modern than the cottages. He said they had a fab time and service and rooms were excellent. Has anyone here been to this resort?

I just came back from our stay in a tower room. It was really nice! It's on a lovely beach. The resort nickel and dimes you, but that's a resort for you.