Having trouble rocking the scarf look

kenzie1980

Patina in progress
Feb 14, 2008
White button-down shirt, dark pants, and ballet flats? Check.

Scarf? Uh, not today. I had planned to wear my H en Bias scarf (white background with pink/green/orange mini-H's that match the highlighters in the office cabinet). But no matter how I tied it, I felt so self-conscious that I couldn't wear it comfortably. I think the collar on my shirt is throwing me off (can you tell that I still have no idea how to dress myself? Where's Stacy and ******* when you need them?).

So I gave up and tied the darn scarf on the handle of my (non-H) purse.

On a positive note, I tried the scarf-as-a-halter-top look. Whoa, LOVE it! I just wish I were 15 pounds lighter so it would look cuter!

Any tips on how to get over the self-consciousness? I'm always afraid of looking like I'm trying too hard and not succeeding. I think it's like wearing a hat -- you need the right attitude, and I sure could use some 'tude right now!

yes--fold it bringing opposite corners in touching then, fold in from each end finally folding in half so that its about 4 " wide. wrap around neck and bring one end through as though starting to tie a shoelace. with both ends hanging down bring one end up and across and then bring the other end up and pull down through loop and tug straight. Pput the whole thing insde your collar and tuck the ends down inside your shirt. Its less conspicuous and quite chic. Hope that made sense

This is another way that's easy and casual:

shirt.jpg

If you still feel self conscious, stick a hat on your head, you won't notice your scarf any more.... just joking!!

another idea to make it a smaller look.

fold as before and then tie the whole thing in a loose single knot. put the knot at the front of your neck and bring the ends around back and then back to the front. pull the ends through the knot and then pull as tight as you like

Yay, these are great ideas! Thank you!

Now if only I can get past the screaming bright colors on the scarf. I may just try again tomorrow with jeans and a tank top, when I'm not as worried about standing out in the office.

^^^ Yes wearing it close to the neck (or inside the shirt) is a great way to 'minimize' the fabric and streamline the look. This is another favorite way of mine when I want a 'tidy' look:

shirt2.jpg

kenzie1980, what size scarf do you need to do the halter top thing? I definitely want to try that. I am going to buy a scarf in the summer sometime, just investigating which one I want.

I am also inept with scarves, I feel like the engulf me. That's why I like pocket squares and twillies -- they're easier for me.

Wow, thank you all for these ideas!

You're not going to believe this, but I felt self-conscious even when I tied the scarf small and close to the neck. I work with mostly engineers, so any attempt to go beyond the functional purpose of clothes sticks WAY out in this environment.

I'll keep trying, though. I love my scarves too much not to wear them every day!

Take a breath an think "fun" (rather than Rocking it) you have a bright scarf and the colors are fun...I assume that you are drawn to the colors and it's playful spirit no? Rose is amazing the queen of scarves her looks are wonderful...you can certainly rock the scarf if you want to :o)

kenzie1980, what size scarf do you need to do the halter top thing? I definitely want to try that. I am going to buy a scarf in the summer sometime, just investigating which one I want.

I am also inept with scarves, I feel like the engulf me. That's why I like pocket squares and twillies -- they're easier for me.

You will need a 90x90. Here are some instructions. It's a very sex-ay look, perfect for summer!

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/if-you-have-some-clevage-how-they-heck-278973-3.html#post6023403

I used to stick with pocket squares too, but I've fallen in love with the versatilty of the 90x90's. They're so fun to play with!