Having Second Thoughts about my Birkin

enigmaLV

Aug 24, 2006
Hi, after a long wait, I was finally able to get an offer of a Birkin 30 from Hermes London. However, I didn't like the color that was given to me, but still due to long wait, I bought it.

Few questions to ask to Hermes lovers:
1. Do you think I should keep it? I got a Cacao birkin 30, I've always wanted a light one.
2. Is Cacao a nice Birkin color?
3. If I decide to return this, do you think I will still be offered another Birkin?

Thanks.

Sounds like the color isn't even close to your expectation. If I were in your situation, I would return it and let my SA know exactly what shades and tones I was looking for. I don't think it will hurt your chance to be offered another bag and it may be sooner than you think. Be frank with your SA is another way to build your relationship. The SA will turn it around and offer the cacao to his next customer in line. It will be perfect for someone else and that person may take the cacao in a heart beat.

The point is that you need to love your bag in order to spend that chunk of money for it.

Sounds like the color isn't even close to your expectation. If I were in your situation, I would return it and let my SA know exactly what shades and tones I was looking for. I don't think it will hurt your chance to be offered another bag and it may be sooner than you think. Be frank with your SA is another way to build your relationship. The SA will turn it around and offer the cacao to his next customer in line. It will be perfect for someone else and that person may take the cacao in a heart beat.

The point is that you need to love your bag in order to spend that chunk of money for it.
Thank you. I've been here in London for two years now and consistently bought items to develop a relationship with my SA. It is the first time a got a Birkin and never a Kelly. However, I'm leaving soon to Malaysia for good, and I'll only be here for 1 month and a half more. I'm happy with the Birkin but not with the color, however, if I return this, I don't wanna end up not getting anything at all.

Also, I heard the factory closes on August? Does that mean no shipment on August? That would even give me less chance to get another one.

return it if you are having any doubts! I second the mention of being frank with your SA, if anything showing them you know which colors you really love demonstrates your interest in the brand which they prefer.

return it if you are having any doubts! I second the mention of being frank with your SA, if anything showing them you know which colors you really love demonstrates your interest in the brand which they prefer.
Don't you think the SA here in London will be quite offended if I return this? And I might end up not being offered anymore? What are the chances they get a new shipment in the next 3 to 4 weeks? Sorry I am really confused if I should return this now.

I worked in shops for a long time, there's nothing offensive about returning something that doesn't work for you-in this case they'll offer it to someone who wants brown. You said it yourself, you want anything BUT black or brown. I know the bags are hard to come by and yes, you may not get one before you relocate but it's too much money to not love it imho.

I think it's worth waiting for the pieces you truly love so you can enjoy them for a lifetime. When you move and start with a new SA in your new boutique you can tell them about this experience and that's definitely a step forward.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with others that you shouldn't keep something you don't love especially for this kind of price. However, since you'll be in London only for another month. It's possible that there may not be another birkin in a light color. If you return this one you'll have to take a chance that you may go home empty handed. If you keep it, do you think you may come to love it? There are some members that were offered bags not in their preferred color but ended up loving their bags. Can you brighten it up with twillys?

Also, is it possible for you to hop on a train to Paris? There are 3 H stores there that you could try your luck. They have the most stock.

G'luck with your decision.

The right thing to do is to return it since you don't love the color. But I also sense that you want a Birkin before you relocate to another country. There is no guarantee that you will be offered your preferred color in the remaining short time you have there and may be given a store credit which you may have problem using once you leave London. Why don't you go back to the store, explain to your SA and gauge the response?

Sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with others that you shouldn't keep something you don't love especially for this kind of price. However, since you'll be in London only for another month. It's possible that there may not be another birkin in a light color. If you return this one you'll have to take a chance that you may go home empty handed. If you keep it, do you think you may come to love it? There are some members that were offered bags not in their preferred color but ended up loving their bags. Can you brighten it up with twillys?

Also, is it possible for you to hop on a train to Paris? There are 3 H stores there that you could try your luck. They have the most stock.

G'luck with your decision.

I agree. Go to FSH and try your luck there! Cacao is a great neutral color. If you can get another birkin from Paris, you may return this one. Or I would keep it and not use it to keep the bag in brand new condition. Then take it back to Malaysia, maybe someone there would want it and you can sell it then get a birkin you like.

If you return it, then all the purchase you made with this SA are wasted. You should tell your SA and see if she can help you get another birkin in such a short time. It's her responsibility to get you a birkin. I really hate those SAs don't do their jobs right. You should talk to your SA one way or the other.

I think a BIrkin is way too expensive to settle on a color you clearly don't want. I think you probably would have been better off declining when it was offered because now you will be stuck with a store credit for the London store and you may not get another B right away. With the craftspeople taking a break in August and the backlog from all the skunk bags, it might not be possible to get another B before you leave.

That being said, I still think you shouldn't keep a bag that is this expensive that you don't love (unless money is no object). I second talking to your SA and seeing if she can exchange the B for another one in a lighter color. However, if she doesn't have one, your best bet is to sell to a reseller so you can recoup some of your money.

Yes I also agree with the rest. If you don't like it means you won't use it. Why waste your money on a white elephant?

I don't think the SA will be offended. Just be honest without being rude, I am sure he/she will understand.

Good luck babe! :smile:

I agree with others - return the bag if it is not the colour you want and be upfront with your SA about your colour preference. My SA knows I don't like blue, however he is always offering me blue bags, etc. and says 'I know you don't like blue, but,....'. He takes no offence when I turn them down, he just doesn't want me to miss the chance to choose.
I also agree you should try your luck at FSH.