Haven't sold in a while - question about unpaid items/bidding

buffalogal

O.G.
Jul 22, 2006
I used to sell on eBay a lot but it has been several years now. I decided to clean out my closets. I am aware of a lot of changes but I am wondering about something. I have my preferences set to block bids from buyers with unpaid item strikes. I received a message from someone who apparently has two unpaid strikes and was blocked. She asked if she could bid - said her account was used by someone while she was deployed and they didn't complete the transactions. She has 800+ feedback .... mostly good (I know buyers can't get negatives anymore) but a few "buyer cancelled" comments. Nothing I'd say was alarming. She has also sent a number of questions since about the condition of the bag.

I am inclined just to ignore her but I am not sure what the protocol should be. Thoughts?

I used to sell on eBay a lot but it has been several years now. I decided to clean out my closets. I am aware of a lot of changes but I am wondering about something. I have my preferences set to block bids from buyers with unpaid item strikes. I received a message from someone who apparently has two unpaid strikes and was blocked. She asked if she could bid - said her account was used by someone while she was deployed and they didn't complete the transactions. She has 800+ feedback .... mostly good (I know buyers can't get negatives anymore) but a few "buyer cancelled" comments. Nothing I'd say was alarming. She has also sent a number of questions since about the condition of the bag.

I am inclined just to ignore her but I am not sure what the protocol should be. Thoughts?
There's a reason why you set your preferences to block non-payers. You didn't want to deal with them so why change it?

I'd leave the restriction and ignore her.

The restriction for unpaid item strikes are within 1 month. I'm not sure how long the restriction lasts. When the month with the strikes is up, does the buyer go back to being unblocked?

Also, these restrictions don't block buyers from doing a BIN with immediate payment required.

No matter how careful you are, a certain percentage of people who win auctions don't pay, even those with lots of positive feedback. That has happened to me. I had a buyer who had bought from me before win an auction and not pay.

The restriction for unpaid item strikes are within 1 month. I'm not sure how long the restriction lasts. When the month with the strikes is up, does the buyer go back to being unblocked?
Actually, the most stringent requirement blocks those with 2 unpaid items within the last 12 months. After 12 months, the buyer won't be blocked any longer unless there are 2 more UIDs. Then the year starts over after the second UID.

These restrictions are the most stringent:
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 12.53.05 PM.png

Also, these restrictions don't block buyers from doing a BIN with immediate payment required.
I would only allow her to do BIN. I learned the bold part from one of my sales. She was blocked due to unpaid items. She then contacted me and I offered her BIN and she agreed. I then amended the listing and she bought it and paid immediately. Although only amend the listing if you are certain she would follow through with the BIN.

There's a reason why you set your preferences to block non-payers. You didn't want to deal with them so why change it?

I'd leave the restriction and ignore her.
You're right, of course. She just keeps messaging me multiple times about the bag's condition but I don't have BIN on so there shouldn't be anything she can do?

You're right, of course. She just keeps messaging me multiple times about the bag's condition but I don't have BIN on so there shouldn't be anything she can do?
And then, what if she buys and finds more "flaws" than you've described.

I would just ignore her, not put her on your exemption list. As long as you have an auction, she can't bid on that ID but if she uses another and if it doesn't have any of the violations you've blocked, she will be able to bid.

Reactions: buffalogal