Haven't bought a Coach bag since 1998, want to take the plunge again!

divabeadz

Nov 1, 2006
Former Coachie here...there was a point in time, maybe the late 1980's/early 1990's when all I bought was Coach...then I ventured out into Furla then Fendi then LV and Gucci. I still have a couple of my old Coach bags and a wallet. Actually, one of the bags I have (the last Coach I bought in 1998) I *NEVER* used until 2008...lol. The wallet was originally British tan but I used it for years and years and it has more of a cuban cigar finish too it now and is shiny, unlike brand new British Tan...back in the day that was the goal: to use your Coach till it got that well loved patina. I'm showing my age.

So anyway, it's been years now. My birthday is next week and I want to get a beautiful new bag. I live in a small rural town where *EVERYONE* carries fake Coach. Every time I turn around I'm getting invited to a purse party full of fakes (not just coach!) I think this is one of the major reasons I stopped buying Coach -- I think in my 20's/30's I was concerned people would think my bag was a fake too. I'm over it now that I'm in my 40's. LOL

I do all my bag shopping online because I live 5 hrs to the nearest decent shopping HOWEVER, I only live a few hours from a Coach outlet. Is it worth making the drive to an outlet or should I just choose a bag I love that's full retail, such as the Alexandra or Gilded Brooke? Of those 2 bags, which do you recommend?

I love that the Alexandra is so classic and plain and most of the fake-Coach wearers around here may not even realize it's Coach. I think the Gilded Brooke is a more modern take on Coach for me compared to the classic leather bags I have from the 80's/90's. I don't know how rampant the knock-offs are for either so I don't have any clue if I'll see either of them as fakes around and about town (I live in a town of less than 1500 people).

So through all my ramblings, I am wondering whether I should make the trek to the nearest outlet or just take the plunge and order one of the 2 bags I am eyeing and of the two, which do you recommend: Alexandra or Gilded Op Art Brooke.

HauteMama

O.G.
Sep 22, 2006
Although I don't know where you live and how your outlets are, with what I have seen at outlet lately I wouldn't bother making the trip. My outlets have mostly had MFF bags that aren't much to write home about, and they certainly cannot compare to Alexandra, IMO. I would go with Alexandra because of its versatility, and because it is the perfect compromise between slouch and structure. I am not as big a fan of the Brooke, as the gilding and strap are a bit much for me.

toby11

O.G.
Feb 23, 2009
Welcome (back) to Coach! The outlets have been very light on FP bags for the past several months, though there are occasional bright spots. Look in the Coach Shopping subforum, there should be a thread on your closest outlet you can check for the most recent updates. Or there's supposed to be a PCE starting July 22 - maybe you can get the 25% at your boutique even w/o a card if you just ask (assuming you don't get a card).

As far as fakes, the leather bags are *generally* not copied as much. My vote would be Alexandra, it's really nice and definitely doesn't scream "Coach" at you. The Brooke is more obviously Coach but it's also lovely.

Also you may want to check out the Coach Fall 2010 Preview thread, or the Summer/Fall reference thread, there's lots of pics of the new bags coming out, there are so many gorgeous bags for fall. GL!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/coach-fall-2010-preview-569728-97.html
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-re...coming-summer-fall-2010-pics-only-598830.html

homme_boy

O.G.
Nov 29, 2007
Personally, I say go for the Alexandra!

The Gilded Brooke, depending on the color you get, is more seasonal. Alexandra you could rock all year-round, and you'll appreciate the strap versatility. It's like have a 3 bags in 1: a shoulder bag, a tote, and a crossbody. Alexandra is an instant classic.

PickyCoachLover

MoreRoseGoldPlease
O.G.
Jun 9, 2010
Alexandra all the way! The bronze one is beautiful in real life...I saw it today. It is also studded, kinda like the Brooke.
And the Plum/Berry (I forget) Alexandra is so beautiful it hurts! So soft and luxurious leather! Number is #15276. It's on the Coach website where the blue suede? one is.

Oh, and welcome back...LOL.

Last edited:

LuvsElvis

O.G.
Aug 12, 2009
Welcome back!!!
Wow, I give you a lot of credit for not buying Coach since 1998. (or does that include any brand?)
I say hold out until the new fall line comes out! there are some really nice bags there and with PCE coming out - you might find a nice SA who is willing to give you the discount. The outlets haven't had much. (At least mine hasn't)
Good Luck on your decision!

Lynne :biggrin:

divabeadz

Nov 1, 2006
Wow, I give you a lot of credit for not buying Coach since 1998. (or does that include any brand?)

Hahahaha...I don't have *THAT MUCH* willpower. In the past 10 yrs I went through a short lived Vera Bradley phase...lol...then moved into Kooba, Botkier, Rebecca Minkoff, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Gucci and Louis Vuitton.

I like the way you think ecj*waxy, but I can't get both...lol. I think I'm leaning towards the Alexandra now b/c of how classic and versatile it is. I think as I get older I tend I go for more classic bags that aren't too trendy.

emilybug

purse fickle
O.G.
Feb 21, 2010
I got the large Alexandra in acorn. Love the versatility of all the different ways you can carry it, plus it's really a classic style. The gilded Brooke is pretty, but IMO it's more trendy and of the two I would definitely choose Alexandra.

lizmil

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
Welcome back to Coach, divabeadz.

No one's mentioned the two bags you named Alexandra & Gilded BRokke aren'tin the outlet yet. Also there is no extra 20% coupon right now so the outlet prices will be higher than normal. Coach has been having items in the outlet at "X" price less 30 or sometimes 50% off, then an extra 20% off that. this has been running a good while. Just recently, after a long run they quit the extra 20%.

Full price "deletes" the bags sent from the FP stores are usually reduced in price in red ink (they call it redlined) then are half of the red ink price then 20% (if they have it) off that.

HTH & welcome again.