Tech Have you seen a screen problem this bad before?

krinkles597

Jun 29, 2008
SO... here's my story. One day I went blueberry picking and I stuffed my 1st gen iPod Touch under the car seat to it wasn't visible. When I come back, I yank on the headphones and I feel something's stuck, so I wait till I'm home and can't find it at all! Three years down the road, we remove the seat and see a little flat tunnel under it and shine a flashlight. Surely enough, my iPod is in there. I yank it out, plug it up, and notice a hole in the screen!

Is there any sort of fix to this? I don't have a warranty on it anymore and so I think it would be cheaper to just let it go since I've already bought a replacement. It still responds to touch in this area, you just can't see anything.

I've attached a (really bad) picture. Hopefully it helps identify the problem - it's just a grey spot where the screen is out. My image editing software is on the fritz so I'll put up another after I re-install it.

Attachments

• Screen1.JPG
    Screen1.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 88
My guess is that something was pressing into the screen while it was lost. Doubt there's anyway to fix it, but you could always go to the Apple Store and get their opinion.

You can buy replacements parts for this on the net. the screen might not be that bad to replace. I replaced a battery once in a gen 3. most of the time you will get instructions on how to do it. or sell it on ebay for parts.

^^ That's what I was guessing since it's a fairly uniform shape and was wedged in.

I would love to fix it myself but I'm concerned I'll destroy it. I guess if it gets worse I'll go in. I checked Apple's price chart for out of warranty devices and they charge $149. :faint: I could buy a 2nd gen 32 gb refurb for that.

i wouldn't bother with it at this point. especially since you have gotten a replacement.

besides, i would imagine like most devices of this nature, the screen cannot be replaced without messing with the entire device itself, especially since it's clear that it's not the screen, but something underneath.

try selling it on ebay with all of the disclosures of the screen with pictures, etc. you'd be surprised what you could possibly sell it for to someone who likes to fix things up. definitely worth a shot. even if you only got $50 for it.

Second the sell on eBay suggestion. Take lots of pictures, explain the issue, and list it "as-is for parts" - you'll probably get something for it.

Those look like dead pixels.

I'd look around locally. There are a lot of cell phone places that replace ipod/iphone screens for 80 bucks.