Have you ever travelled alone?

1. This is a topic I love discussing (even more than handbags:shame: ).

I hope this has not been asked before as I haven't gotten through all the threads. Anyway, I do most of my world travel on my own. I even did a one year RTW trip on my own. I don't think it is strange since I met many others along the way who were doing the same but a lot of people I know think I am a bit crazy.

Have you gone anywhere by yourself? If so, where?

2. I love to travel too,and like you I've done most of it alone:smile:

I've travelled through South East Asia (Thailand,Vietnam,Cambodia,Laos),Mexico (backpacking all over the country,not lying in a resort LOL),and most of Europe on my own.

That is...I leave alone. As you say,one meets so many similarly inclined people also travelling alone;people who are happy to join you for a few days,that one is very seldom really alone!! I remember having to work very hard in order to get a couple of shopping days free in Bangkok :lol: .

There are a lot of things I've done that I wouldn't have thought of had it not been for chance encounters with other people along the way.Good things!!:biggrin:

Now that I'm engaged I still travel a lot,but always with my fiance. He loves to travel too though,and he has also lived in many countries like I have,so we have a great time together and still meet loads of other people.

3. I flew back to Florida from summer camp in North Carolina when I was 13 :lol: :P

Last year I traveled alone for the first time for a long weekend. I flew to DC to visit a friend who worked as an intern at a radio station up there. It was a great experience! I navigated the Atlanta airport by myself :wacko:

4. :nuts: Ive flown everywhere in the US alone however, last year I took a week off and went to Puerto Rico alone I rented a car and stayed at El Conquistador. I had a spa treatments and partied at the clubs and went sightseeing everyday! I had such a fabulous time that I will be going to Paris in July solo. I am so psyched I can hardly wait!:amuse:

5. Well... I've taken numerous flights on my own... Jeez... I'm a pro at that every since my summer camp days a long time ago! And one time I went to Poland sort of on my own to meet family members I had never really met before. Oh, and same for a trip to Sicily...but once I got to each of those places I wasn't truly on my own...

So you mean like a total vacation where the rest of the trip you're with out friends, right?

Only once... went to Nice & Cannes on my own. None of my roommates in Paris wanted to go because of their finals so I just went. It was sort of nice, I got to do everything I wanted! No compromising or complaints! BUt...on the downside there was this freaky guy that kept following me around and that made me uncomfortable and at night it wasn't like I went out by myself...I would've eaten dinner alone at a restaurant if it weren't for the freaky guy so I just ended up taking food back to my hotel with me for the nights.

I think for the most part I'd prefer to travel with one friend or my bf though. I don't care about taking flights on my own and meeting people somewhere, but just to have a companion to share the experience with is pretty important to me.

6. For ten years I travelled alone and loved it! No one to wait for and weigh you down! I could go where I wanted, when I wanted.
    I have gotten used to travelling with the DH though I still miss the old days!

7. I always travel alone just coz I live by myself.. most of my travelling though are have just been in the US so I guess, when I travel somewhere away from the US, maybe I can ask my bf to go with me..

8. I haven't but I'm considering it. All my friends are off to uni so none of them can afford a big adventure, and all the girls I work with have family commitments. I would love to see more of the world, but I guess it can be dangerous as a young girl traveling alone. I think I might wait a couple more years and in the meantime go away with my family.

9. In my 30's I travelled to Paris and London on my own - had the best time, met people everywhere I went - I loved being on my own time schedule and not having to compromise about anything - Even at dinner, people talk to women alone. It was delightful! The past years I have travelling with BFand others - My best trips were alone - only everything is more expensive for a single traveller. That's the major downside.

10. ^^^ Too right,Suzy...One usually ends up spending the same price a couple would pay for a double room!!

And once there was a sad time in Barcelona where I really wanted the set menu in this restaurant,but it was for a minimum of two people:lol: :lol: .

i wouldn't have missed out on any of those experiences for the world...and while travelling with DF has its own charms,I miss the old days sometimes :biggrin:.

11. RTW means Round the world or Ready-To-Wear (pret-a-porter)??

12. I have been flying on my own since I was 18...so for a long time, all over Canada, the states and Europe. However...I would never book a trip to somewhere and just go exploring on my own for the entire trip. uh-uh lol that's not me...I need a friend, family member or husband with me. My friend went all through Africa by herself..I admire her, but I would just feel scared and alone. :biggrin: I think I could do it for a day...but not any longer.

13. round the world.:graucho: :cool: sorry, saw the new smilies and had to use one! well two.

14. I took a trip to Bar Harbor Maine by myself a few years ago. It was the best vacation I ever took. Bar Harbor is ,IMHO, the most beautiful place in the world and soooo relaxing.

15. I only travel on my own for work. I went to San Diego for a meeting a couple of years ago, and I had some extra time, so I went to San Diego zoo on my own. It was depressing... everyone was in pairs or groups, I never felt so alone.... :sad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice