Have you ever regretted a purchase/gift?

RosiePink

O.G.
Dec 7, 2012
Have any of you ladies ever wanted a piece like crazy and either purchased it for yourself or asked for it as a gift for an occasion and then had it quickly lose its luster?

I have been feeling like this for my last few jewelry purchases/gifts and just feel terribly awful about it. I know what I don't want I can always sell but I just cannot sell gifts for their sentimental value. I am one of those people who rotate between a few different 'everyday' pieces and I was hoping what I have gotten in the past few months would be my new long term every day pieces (like the LOVE for some people) and I am already thinking about what I want to replace them with even though they were purchased to wear for the rest of my life.

Am I alone in this feeling?:tdown:

Have any of you ladies ever wanted a piece like crazy and either purchased it for yourself or asked for it as a gift for an occasion and then had it quickly lose its luster?

Nope, you definitely not alone... i kind of think of the worth it/not worth thread as proof.

For me, I looove VCA and for the last couple of years have been obsessed with building up my collection slowly, thinking that my grail piece would be either the long necklace or to link 2 shorter ones for a long necklace.... and jumped on a preowned necklace when the opportunity came up.

When it arrived, I quickly went from excited to "I can't/don't want to wear this." It was a very strange feeling. I tried to talk myself into keeping it, but after a week, back it went. I still feel weird when i think about it, wondering if I should have just sat on it, but glad I didn't at the same time.

I have been feeling like this for my last few jewelry purchases/gifts and just feel terribly awful about it. I know what I don't want I can always sell but I just cannot sell gifts for their sentimental value. I am one of those people who rotate between a few different 'everyday' pieces and I was hoping what I have gotten in the past few months would be my new long term every day pieces (like the LOVE for some people) and I am already thinking about what I want to replace them with even though they were purchased to wear for the rest of my life.

No you're not alone! I do this too & get really annoyed with myself for feeling like that. I think it's part of being addicted to jewellery - something to lust after & get excited about, then once you get it you need something new to give you the excitement again! xMMx

No I did this too... I jumped into the Tiffany yellow diamond DBTY pendant a little too quickly! Don't get me wrong I love it, every time I look at it it is so stunning and really does sparkle like a diamond but with this sunshiney colour, it's amazing! But it was SO expensive for this "little" diamond (it's .91 carats but it's not like this big soleste pendant which is where I started which does have more pa-pow!) and I've always felt uncomfortable... I actually didn't wear it for a year! I was partially afraid something so expensive but so delicate would break... and partially thinking I might return it if they would let me. Trying to get over it b/c I love it and just have it be my everyday necklace! Feel really stupid though!

Also currently selling my Cartier Orchid pave pendant. DEFINITELY an impulse buy and although I LOVE it, I don't wear it enough to justify!! breaks my heart when I look at it b/c it's SO PRETTY!!! But I don't need it! I decided to keep the yellow diamond and sell the orchid. Sad but feel like it's the right thing to do!

Good thread!

I bought a WG love last year and jumped on the purchase because of a price increase. they didn't have any size 20 YG or RG so I bought WG....regretted it! I ended up selling it and losing about 1k off the original price....lesson learned :biggrin:

I have deeply regretted purchasing Pandora bracelet. I got really excited about it a few years ago and wanted everything. I started collecting and thought i could for a long time with special occasions etc. but then very soon got bored with it. It started to get really heavy and now cannot believe how much I had spent on it. I could've gotten myself some gold earrings instead (maybe tiffany's gold knots?!)

I have deeply regretted purchasing Pandora bracelet. I got really excited about it a few years ago and wanted everything. I started collecting and thought i could for a long time with special occasions etc. but then very soon got bored with it. It started to get really heavy and now cannot believe how much I had spent on it. I could've gotten myself some gold earrings instead (maybe tiffany's gold knots?!)

I'm currently thinking about starting a pandora bracelet but I've seen a lot of people post in the "worth it not worth it" thread that they regretted getting one. Even though you are bored with it, does it still hold sentimental value for you or is it a passing trend?

Only 2 charms hold value as they were from my husband bought on a special trip together so I won't get rid of those. Otherwise, definitely a passing trend and I wish we would've bought something else on that trip. My eldest daughter (now 15) started one and she likes it enough but not a lot. She only has few charms with pink stones and that suits her but I don't see her wearing it that much. If it is going to stay on your mind, my advice would be to start one and add very slowly. stop at a few charms (max 4) and wear it for a long time to see what happens. That way, you don't spend so much and it would stay light. If you enjoy it then add slowly... And don't start 2nd before you use your first for a while. I think the fact that one can fill it is what's wrong. It ends up being very heavy and very expensive for what it is. Also, it changes shape and you don't really see the charms individually. It starts to blend into one very heavy 'busy' bracelet. I hope this helps you and I haven't confused you further

Only 2 charms hold value as they were from my husband bought on a special trip together so I won't get rid of those. Otherwise, definitely a passing trend and I wish we would've bought something else on that trip. My eldest daughter (now 15) started one and she likes it enough but not a lot. She only has few charms with pink stones and that suits her but I don't see her wearing it that much. If it is going to stay on your mind, my advice would be to start one and add very slowly. stop at a few charms (max 4) and wear it for a long time to see what happens. That way, you don't spend so much and it would stay light. If you enjoy it then add slowly... And don't start 2nd before you use your first for a while. I think the fact that one can fill it is what's wrong. It ends up being very heavy and very expensive for what it is. Also, it changes shape and you don't really see the charms individually. It starts to blend into one very heavy 'busy' bracelet. I hope this helps you and I haven't confused you further

Thank you. That's great advice!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wish I wasn't so impulsive when it came to buying things and maybe I wouldn't have this problem. I love wearing certain pieces because of their meaning but I can't help but be attracted to replacement pieces:wondering

So hard to be good! Impulse buys is definitely one of my faults and I try to research my bigger purchase items before taking the leap. However, if a pre owned piece at a really good price or rarity, or possible store increase crops all, all my logic goes out of the window.

This is even worse with gifts because I feel bad about even thinking of selling or returning the item, even if I said I wanted it in the first place!

Most of my regrets are the impluse purchases. Even the small purchases add up. Nowadays i try to wait a while before making a purchase, to see if i still want it after a few weeks/months.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wish I wasn't so impulsive when it came to buying things and maybe I wouldn't have this problem. I love wearing certain pieces because of their meaning but I can't help but be attracted to replacement pieces:wondering
Yes I love sentimental pieces too. I love pieces that remind me of someone & have some sort of meaning behind them... xMMx