Have you ever purchased a CHANEL handbag with straight cash?...

Never done it but I look at it this way: First, my bag is the most valuable thing I'm carrying (from a pure value perspective. I would be even more upset about getting the credit cards shut off quickly, replacing IDs and all that stuff). Please! Take my cash but let me keep the bag! :wtf: Second, I figure that I'm much more likely to attract experienced thieves once I'm carrying around that nice Chanel bag containing my (now cash-poor :smile:) wallet than I am if I stuck to cheap bags and carry around thousands in cash. I'm more careful about how I dress and what bags I carry than I am about how much cash I'm carrying when it comes to concerns about theft. I exercise my street smarts and make sure that my clothes and accessories don't make me an attractive "mark", more likely to be carrying a big fat wallet than the person with the messy hair, faded sweatpants and the dirty, 20-year-old Clinique gift-with-purchase totebag.

Not that I advocate carrying around large quantities of cash (which I don't, not because of theft concerns but because I spend it so fast!) but I don't spend a lot of time sweating over it when I do. The people who really shouldn't carry around a lot of cash are the ones who end up clutching their bags tightly to their chests and looking fearfully at everyone around them in ways that scream, "I've got stuff worth stealing in my bag and I'm scared!" Easy mark.

BTW, you could just call your bank and find out how to stop those freezes. I threatened to shut off one of my credit cards because every time I tried to buy something over $500, they would decline it to "protect me" and it was torture to get my identity verified and get the charge through. It would take at least 15 minutes to reach an actual person at the credit card company. It's humiliating to have a card declined in public and I don't deserve that since I pay most cards to zero balance well before the due dates. I would MUCH prefer that they send a "check ID to verify" message to the sales associate over an abrupt "CHARGE DECLINED" message with no further instructions on what to do about it. I don't need for them to "protect me" from myself. If they really want to protect everyone efficiently, they can just require that the store check ID for every purchase over a certain dollar amount and be done with it. The reason I got credit cards is to protect MYSELF from having to carry around a bunch of cash at all times and I shouldn't have to go back to carrying a Chanel bag's worth of cash just in case my card issuer decides to "protect me". I told them that the next time the card was declined to "protect me" without some way to directly connect to someone who could override the protection, I was canceling the card and my husband would be canceling his, as well. It hasn't happened to me since. Once, the SA got some message to call the card issuer. They asked her to verify my ID, approved the purchase and that's just fine with me!

WOW, thanks for the advice. I usually don't like to keep a lot of cash with me ($20-40 max) but this is just for a purchase.

I think when I'm ready to purchase, I won't walk around like a deer in headlights! lol There is parking in front of the store. lol

Idk, about telling my bank to lay off on the freezes. Although it did embarrass me at the store, I kind of like that idea (identity theft, stealing etc). At the time, I just wasn't aware that it happened.

I just like smooth transactions, I give the cash, they give me my change and I can forget about it. lol;)

You should be thanking the bank for checking. I do. I've had them call to ask if I made the purchase. I've also had the cc number stolen. There are machines that try the numbers and when it hits -- in my case they bought a 99 cent song from Itunes to run it. Then they hit for $800. That's when the cc company got engaged. I had no idea this happened, that's how fast they were on it. I did not have to pay a penny. Tis better to be safe than sorry and know someone is looking out for you.

On the flip side, carry cash -- no way in hell. Suppose you're in a car accident and injured. The cash is in your bag, right? Not for long. I love using the debit card; it's peace of mind. I usually charge Chanel since I can skate on taxes and sometimes shipping fees. That said there is money when the bill comes in to pay it. To not pay off the monthly charges is the worst thing one can do fiscally.

You should be thanking the bank for checking. I do. I've had them call to ask if I made the purchase. I've also had the cc number stolen. There are machines that try the numbers and when it hits -- in my case they bought a 99 cent song from Itunes to run it. Then they hit for $800. That's when the cc company got engaged. I had no idea this happened, that's how fast they were on it. I did not have to pay a penny. Tis better to be safe than sorry and know someone is looking out for you.

On the flip side, carry cash -- no way in hell. Suppose you're in a car accident and injured. The cash is in your bag, right? Not for long. I love using the debit card; it's peace of mind. I usually charge Chanel since I can skate on taxes and sometimes shipping fees. That said there is money when the bill comes in to pay it. To not pay off the monthly charges is the worst thing one can do fiscally.

oh, I appreciate it very much!! thats why I'm not going to let them stop with the freezing buisness. I just want to buy one handbag with cash instead of credit or debit.

again, I dont usually walk around with much cash in my pocket (I have about $5 now on me:yes: lol)

I am very happy to know my fellow CHANEL lovers are smart with their money!

I have seen it done many times in Chanel. It's usually a very pretty Asian lady too. They stand there and count out all those bills to the SA. It always makes me think they are so much richer than me, to have cash in hand.

Anyway, the SA's don't blink. They seem to be used to it.

Im sure paying cash is fine, but I rarely ever pay cash... for anything. At most, I have $5 cash, (partially in coins). I pay everything with my credit card, this way im allowed 30 days to pay it back while my cash sits in my savings getting like .0001 interest (haha it still counts) and I also get reward points. I always get a little upset when I dont get asked for ID, but for places like Mcdonalds, I really can't blame them. I guess cash or credit/debit is all personal preference..

I always pay in straight cash.
In Asia they prefer you to pay with cash/debit card especially in Jakarta Indonesia when i bought my chanel there...If you pay with credit card, they will give you the look, saying : "ooh actually you cannot afford to buy this bag.."