Have you ever paid duty when buying Louis Vuitton from Japan?

I just got a 9% duty fee with a $900 bag from Japan. I've ordered many over the years and it's the first time I've had to pay up! US Customs in Chicago had it for over a week, so I guess they were making sure I got charged. Oh well!

I'm not sure if they're starting to charge more now for items from Japan. I'm in Canada...I bought a few items last summer (around the $200 mark) and didn't pay duties. The past two months I bought a few items (one around $300 the other around $250), and was slammed with about 25% duties, taxes and handling fees. Maybe 'tis the season...but seemed a lot for "used" items.

I would without hesitation! Today I just received my Hermes agenda from astion-brandvalue01 in 4 days!!!! from order to USA! and it was perfect, looks like it was never used!

Good Luck!

Oh and no duty owed or paid

Hi, I just wanted to know if you would still recommend this seller. Did you have any other shopping experience for bags? It's first time purchasing from a japanese seller do trying to be cautious. TIA

Oh dear BRANDOFF.
Just purchased a bag for $376, its now about to cost me $499. SERIOUSLY! $125 charge slapped on it to enter UK. Less than impressed. How do Parcelforce get their hands on these packages also? 1/3 of the price it cost me? Really? UGH!

Hi there,
I’ve bought pre-loved LV from Japan in years past and never had to pay custom fees. Today, I got an invoice For $198.80 from FedEx on an LV I bought recently from Japan. Oy!
The seller sent it via TNT (now FedEx) because the EMS in Japan was closed due to the pandemic. The shipping time was about a week and hard to track. I did not get charged when it was delivered nor was there any tag/notices on the package. I received the bag on 5/26 and got the invoice today 6/3. The total with tax for the bag was $938.95. Perhaps, it was over the threshold?
I bought 5 other bags from various sellers from Japan after that, all of them shipped via DHL and cost less than $750 each. Now, I am dreading more invoices in the mail from DHL. Fingers crossed, I don’t get any.
This thread is very informative. I wish I’d found it before buying the first one. Oh well... Just wanted to share my experience.

Reactions: Ling11
I purchased three items from Japan in the past month and paid excessive duty tax on each of them. I received two invoices from FedEx about a week after my items were delivered and each invoice was about $340. The 3rd item was delivered through DHL. The fees were $450. I can honestly say... I will not be doing this again. From now on, I will be looking for US sellers and spending my money at home in the USA!

I purchased three items from Japan in the past month and paid excessive duty tax on each of them. I received two invoices from FedEx about a week after my items were delivered and each invoice was about $340. The 3rd item was delivered through DHL. The fees were $450. I can honestly say... I will not be doing this again. From now on, I will be looking for US sellers and spending my money at home in the USA!
were you items over 800$ ? i