Have you ever had creepy people knock on your door in the middle of the night?

Oh man, these stories are making me so glad that I live in Chicago, and police FLY whenever a call is put in!

I have one to add... pre-story, I just want to say that I have ALWAYS been a tweak in hotels. Doors must be locked, chained, bolted, windows CLOSED, bathroom light on, I run down hallways when I'm alone, and I still can never get a full night's sleep.

Me and the BF were staying at a hotel in KY for a family reunion (my family). Most of the rest of my family were staying at relative's houses. This hotel was crowded, and a bunch of guys were in the lobby when I went to the vending machines around 10pm-ish by myself... BF stayed in the room, so it must have looked like I was alone. I didn't really think anything about it, but later on, around 1AM, I wake up to the door banging and a guy yelling in the hallway... I was still half asleep so it took me a second to realize he wasn't banging ON the door, but instead the door was OPEN already and he was slamming it against the security bolt on the inside of the door. I woke up the BF and hid under the covers while he went to the door, told the guy off and slammed the door shut and relocked it. I give him credit that he never undid the dead bolt thing, just looked at him and yelled through the crack in the door. He said that he looked drunk.

THIS is the kicker... I called the front desk to let them know, and the guy behind the desk had GIVEN the guy a key because he said that he lost the key to "his" room... and the guy never went back to the front desk to ask for a different room key. Creepy! And I didn't get a look, so I didn't know if it was one of the guys that had been in the lobby or not. (And yes, the desk guy got an earful from me...)

and this is why I also carry a door stopper with me when I travel...because even with the security bolt, if the other person has a key, the door would still open partially..

The only other freaky thing that has happened to me was when I was sitting with my dog in our family room watching TV at 1 or 2 AM during the week several years ago. That room gives me the heebie jeebies (I'm in it right now so I'm getting freaked out as I write this) so I usually won't sit in it alone late at night. No one rang the doorbell but my dog was going NUTS and whining/barking .....which he never ever did. I thought it was just animal so I turned off the TV and went to bed and took him with me but he kept going crazy so I woke my dad up. He grabbed his bat and looked out my window (it faces the same direction as our family room) and there was SOMEONE IN OUR FENCED IN BACKYARD!!!!!!!!!

Relating to answering the door - I NEVER answer it if it's someone I don't know. I've heard too many horror stories and my parents have always enforced this rule with me. As a kid/young teen/only child I spent a lot of time home alone abiding by this rule! I'd rather not get kidnapped.

Last edited:
I also wanted to add this now that I thought of it! One of my best friend's homes was broken into a couple years back but get this: the burglary happened while her ENTIRE family was home. Apparently when she woke up in the morning her blinds were all the way to the floor and there was mud on the carpet and her dad realized that their car was gone! They went through HER ROOM to get the keys from the kitchen while her parents and two younger brothers were home and no one woke up. The people who stole the car were really stupid though, they left the license plates on and drove around in the city. She also said they tried to enter through the back door because the screen was cut open. It gets weirder though - they broke into her dad's car and stole golf clubs. Apparently they had been watching the house for a few days. Crazy isn't it?

Last edited:
I saw "The Strangers" a night I was all alone in my house, DH was late because of work. I thought I'd laugh with that movie, but I was super freaked. I don't want to see it again.

There was once a very creepy guy standing outside the gate of our beach house. My dog sniffed him and he started crying. I went to the gate (really tall iron gate) and asked him to leave and he said ok but only took a few steps away and wouldn't leave. So I sat at the steps of our porch holding my dog and staring back at him. It was 3 am or so. I was not afraid because the Fire Department is opposite our house, and if I yelled they'd be there in a second. My mother and my grandmother woke up and joined me at the porch and after an hour he left. I was only afraid for my dog, some crazy ppl poison pets out of hatred. I had to tie him inside the kitchen for a week every night so he wouldn't go out alone while we were sleeping.

Yes, I have.

I was awake late one night (actually it was early mourning about 2 am) reading a book. My parents and brother were asleep. Someone knocked loudly on my window (my window is at the back of the house). It wasn't the sort of knock of a friend to alert you that they are there, because friends knock fairly quietly so not to wake up other. This was a loud knock. I was frozen with fear but realised I should do something. So i got my German Sheppard and let him outside, but by that time the person was gone.

I never did find out who it was.

Holly molly you are the epitome of cool, I'd scream and faint. My mother once spied on me from the window to see if I was doing homework, and I creamed and fainted lol!!!

Thank God no one knows who we are on this forum because I've told very few people this story. I must of been in 3rd grade, so what age is that? 9? My parents had been separated for maybe 6 months and my dad had just moved back in. It must of been around 2am and I woke and heard all this pounding on our front door. I could hear my parents whispering in the hall. My mom was begging my father to call the police(thinking back I'm shocked a neighbor didn't, the houses were pretty close together)saying what if "they/she"(can't remember)had a gun. I came out of my room and my mother
yelled at me to go back to my room. Around dawn the person stopped, after leaving and coming back a couple times. Can anybody say dysfunctional? Needless to say my father and I are not close. Now that I'm an adult with a family I can't imagine putting them in that kind of danger. Even if there wasn't danger, it was very scary.

Holly molly you are the epitome of cool, I'd scream and faint. My mother once spied on me from the window to see if I was doing homework, and I creamed and fainted lol!!!

I actually thought the person knocking may have gotten the wrong house, and upon hearing an unexpected voice might run away (this may have been the case).

I was very nervous though

I never answer the door during the day unless im expecting a parcel or theres somebody else in the house with me. I used to when I lived back at home with my parents but thats because I knew the area, having grown up there. I never answer it at night, if im on my own I ignore it, if theres someone else in (I live with a guy) then he can do it.

When I was living at home we got broken into, we had left our kitchen window open which was usual, but it ended up being the way in. Three guys had crawled in through the window, taking all the glasses off the windowsill, opened the back door and took the car keys. This type of thing had been happening in the surrounding areas, people breaking in to steal the cars...Anyway, my mum woke up and thinking it was me in the kitchen walked in only to be confronted with a wide open back door and men outside on the pavement. They got scared off so didnt manage to get the cars but we later discovered that they had taken 3 of our kitchen knives which we assumed were going to be used in the event they were cornered...

They came back again a few weeks later, tried to get in through our conservatory which didnt lock, but having tried and failed to get our sliding doors connecting the conservatory to the lounge off the tracks...

Needless to say after that all windows were shut and locked and the conservatory door was tied shut. To my knowledge no burglaries have taken place in the village since and its been 7 years...

Oh and another story which happened in my uni house, the morning after a party, some strange guy apparantly just walked into the house. Nobody thought anything of it at the time with there being a few single girls most assumed it was one of their conquests...we never did figure out who he was or what he was there for...

I have had something happen once...Well, first off i live at home, im 20 now and this was about 4 years ago. I had been getting really creepy phone calls from some guy, like 10 calls for several nights. I had just gotten a new cell number not too long before and no one had it but 2 of my friends. Well, i called the police about that and they just wrote it down and that was it. Well, my mom worked nights at a hospital then and my sister was gone on vacation for the week. I had again been getting these calls (we only had cell phones no house phone, and i used mine for an alarm clock so i had to leave it on). I ignored a ton of them but then got one and picked up (i didnt even mean to really) and the guy said he was out side of my house. two seconds later someone started pounding on the front door like they were trying to break it down! I did yell hello, and no one said anything. I RAN upstais (you can see in the living room if your at the front door!) and called the police who sent a car over. They guy was gone and the police officer looked around my house and said all he found was a ring of foot prints going around our house (it was raining earlier that night, and it wasnt from any of us living there!) .....they told me they couldnt do anything because the guy hadnt given me a death threat (um wth).

Last edited: