Have you ever had a hard time letting go...

Mousy

May 30, 2015
...of that bag, you thought would be that forever bag?

I really like my single flap mint condition Jumbo. It's beautiful, the perfect size and easy to wear. It was an amazing find. But, the squeaking of the chains is annoying (though another tpf'er said conditioner would help), I'm mesmerized by the edgy bags of the past few seasons and I feel like I have a lot of money tied up in a classic. I don't wear it very often, but when I do, it's comfy and looks great. I get a lot of looks (because it's iconic), and I prefer being a bit under the radar.
One minute I'm ready to sell, the next minute, after I look at it, I'm in love.

How do you know a bag you've purchased isn't right for you? How do you know when to sell? How do you know when questioning your purchase may only be a phase and you end up keeping it?
I'd like to hear your stories. Thank you!

I had thought a Chanel maxi in black was my holy grail bag. The one bag that represented all of the hard work and financial success. Then I bought it and found myself staring at it but not wanting to carry it. It was bulky, the lambskin was way too delicate, the chain was awkward. My aunt idealized this bag...she wanted one so badly. I finally realized I loved it but had zero desire to carry it so I sold it to my aunt. She carries it every single day and loves it. I know I made the right decision

Reactions: Kendie26
I sell my bags when I realize that every time I reach for it, I find a multitude of reasons why I should not choose it to wear with my outfit. I also take a hard look at my wardrobe and the bags that I actually wear on a regular basis to see if it "fits" with my personal style. I have come to the realization that I only carry big bags although I want to be a WoC or mini carrying gal.....it just is not who I am.
It takes time to know who you are style-wise and even longer to accept it.

I give the bag a rest". I won't wear it for a month or two. Then I get it back out and try wearing it a few times with some different outfits. If it's a "pain" to do so and I don't want to wear the bag, I sell.

That being said, if you feel you'll regret the sale, it may be worth just putting it away for a year or so to give yourself time to enjoy some of your other bags and see if there is a space for this one.

I will say though the squeaking would drive me batty. Perhaps contact Leather Pros or Leather Surgeons to see if there is a solution. Solving that may make you fall in love with the bag again.

Reactions: Kendie26 and Mousy
The more you use the bag the less it will squeak. It's just because the leather is still taught.

That's what I thought, but it's eight years old. I read Cadillac conditioner helps.

I think, if I had unlimited funds, I could just place my Jumbo on a shelf in a (dream) massive closet dedicated to my handbags. They would all be sealed behind glass doors in their own little spaces, and I could just continue buying whatever I want.

But, my reality is that I buy what fits my climate (rain) and my needs. My Jumbo does fits my needs, but I guess my heart skips a beat at other bags coming out, too.

Maybe, I'm "the kid in a (Chanel) candy store." Everything looks so good!

I'm in the process of selling my small classic caviar flap. I have a reissue, a woc and another seasonal bag. I know I'll reach for those three before I reach for my flap even though I was so excited to buy it. It doesn't crossbody and that's always a problem when picking a bag. I've still got that pang in the pit of my stomach, but better that someone else uses and loves her.

Reactions: Kendie26
That's what I thought, but it's eight years old. I read Cadillac conditioner helps.

I think, if I had unlimited funds, I could just place my Jumbo on a shelf in a (dream) massive closet dedicated to my handbags. They would all be sealed behind glass doors in their own little spaces, and I could just continue buying whatever I want.

But, my reality is that I buy what fits my climate (rain) and my needs. My Jumbo does fits my needs, but I guess my heart skips a beat at other bags coming out, too.

Maybe, I'm "the kid in a (Chanel) candy store." Everything looks so good!

Yes if it bothers you that much, try applying the conditioner on a q-tip. I actually like the squeak my bag makes. [emoji23][emoji23] I'm weird I guess.

I felt queasy before, during, and for weeks after I decided to sell my m/l flap. It was my first Chanel purchase and I still can't get over how gorgeous it was, but poor thing simply never got used. :sad:

Hope you find a solution to the squeaks but if not... I still believe that the most beautiful things are those which we find useful AND lovely to look at.

Reactions: Mousy and Kendie26
...of that bag, you thought would be that forever bag?

I really like my single flap mint condition Jumbo. It's beautiful, the perfect size and easy to wear. It was an amazing find. But, the squeaking of the chains is annoying (though another tpf'er said conditioner would help), I'm mesmerized by the edgy bags of the past few seasons and I feel like I have a lot of money tied up in a classic. I don't wear it very often, but when I do, it's comfy and looks great. I get a lot of looks (because it's iconic), and I prefer being a bit under the radar.
One minute I'm ready to sell, the next minute, after I look at it, I'm in love.

How do you know a bag you've purchased isn't right for you? How do you know when to sell? How do you know when questioning your purchase may only be a phase and you end up keeping it?
I'd like to hear your stories. Thank you!
Such an interesting question/thread & I loved reading everyone's comments so far (thank you all) It's such a hard, painful decision sometimes to let go of certain bags you were once in love with (& maybe still are, or could be in love with but something feels "off")...I did sell a significant portion of my beloved Balenciaga collection over the last few years. At first I had trepidation over doing so but I just wasn't using them & it seemed so wasteful to me in keeping them around. For the most part I was happy they went to new owners that I know love them but there were a few I had regrets over letting go (but I have no regrets now) Hopefully the advice here will help w/ the squeaky chains & you may be thrilled keeping your Jumbo. If I'm not sure about something, I tend to not make a change (I error on "safe" side...so I'd probably hesitate in selling it until I had a stronger feeling that it needs to go & I "must" sell it (if that makes any sense!! GOOD LUCK Sourisbrune!:flowers:

Reactions: squidgee and Mousy
If I don't use the bag that often, I consider selling it. I bought a chanel black tote and used it often, but didn't love it. So I sold it. Then I bought a 2.55 reissue and sued it's few times, but found it wasn't as big as I needed. I sold that one. Now I have a coco handle and a single flap jumbo that I adore and know I would never sell as I love using them. I had slight guilt selling my first 3 Chanels but know now that they are better off going to someone who will love them and use them

Reactions: Sparkletastic
i've never sold a bag.. although i do have a few bags that only come out a handful of times in a yesr.. the loss i would have to take is not worth selling them, hubby has me convinced because i can still use them, include them in rotation somehow.. i rotate my bags regularly to be fair to all my "babies" :P

Hi, I'm Laura and I was a Single Flap Jumbo hoarder. :P I LOVE them and gobbled up every rare color etc. But I eventually realized it didn't need multiples & every single color under the sun. Some were just there because it was a rare find and now discontinued. They were tough to sell because I knew I couldn't get it back. I found after the initial hesitation I haven't missed them. After all, you can't wear them all. I've been trying to get to the space of not having to buy every bag I like and being more selective. Because lets face it, I'd take them all...lol.

Such an interesting question/thread & I loved reading everyone's comments so far (thank you all) It's such a hard, painful decision sometimes to let go of certain bags you were once in love with (& maybe still are, or could be in love with but something feels "off")...I did sell a significant portion of my beloved Balenciaga collection over the last few years. At first I had trepidation over doing so but I just wasn't using them & it seemed so wasteful to me in keeping them around. For the most part I was happy they went to new owners that I know love them but there were a few I had regrets over letting go (but I have no regrets now) Hopefully the advice here will help w/ the squeaky chains & you may be thrilled keeping your Jumbo. If I'm not sure about something, I tend to not make a change (I error on "safe" side...so I'd probably hesitate in selling it until I had a stronger feeling that it needs to go & I "must" sell it (if that makes any sense!! GOOD LUCK Sourisbrune!:flowers:

Getting my Cadillac conditioner via Amazon tonight- delivery by 9,00p. I'll let you know what happens with the squeaks, and if silence makes me feel better about keeping the Jumbo.
Good stories. I don't feel alone in my indecision and hesitation. Thank you!