Have you ever had a bag that you loved, but never used?

Bagaholic9

O.G.
Jul 5, 2012
Hi everyone! I can't believe I'm typing this but, I am having a dilemma. I have a black caviar jumbo flap with gold hardware that I unfortunately don't use. It is the bag I only dreamed of having one day. & I got a great price. (I saved up a TON of store rewards)

I do feel bad that I don't get much use out of her. I live in New York and work in Manhattan. So, I feel paranoid carrying it everyday in the public transit. (Parking in Manhattan on the daily basis is nearly impossible)

So back to my main question, do you have any bags you absolutely love but don't use and still keep? I just don't know if I should keep something so expensive sitting in my closet.

I understand the feeling. I do have brand new Chanel bags that I have never used. I love them, think they are gorgeous but when it comes to picking out which bag I am going to use.....I go with something else. I actually had several that were new and never used. My best friend said "These are not museum pieces, they are meant to be used"! I have finally sold some of them, but I can't seem to let go of my Black Caviar Double Flap Jumbo with GHW, and 2 Clutch with Chains. I thought they were gorgeous when i bought them and still do. I need to figure it out.

I have the exact same bag as you that I debated on for YEARS whether I should keep or not. I remember I was looking for this bag for months and no one had it in stock until one day I called Neiman Marcus and they said they have one available! I was so so happy to have finally found it! This was my first jumbo flap and I thought this would be a great size as an ‘everyday’ bag. I have mostly smaller flaps and thought I needed a bigger flap to hold my everyday essentials. Being petite, I felt that this bag was too overwhelming for my frame. I literally carried it one time and knew right away that this size bag is not for me. I had it for 5 years just sitting in my closet, but I just couldn’t get myself to part with it until a few weeks ago. I finally decided to send it in to AFF for consignment. I absolutely love classic flaps and now I am on the hunt for the perfect M/L Black Lambskin Classic Flap to replace my jumbo. I rotate which bag I carry all the time and I was telling my husband that this is the only bag that I never reach for and he gave me the courage to part with it and get the size that I know I will use. These bags are beautiful, but what good is it if they are just sitting in our closets not being used. I want to enjoy my bags and I’m glad I sent it in.

Ah I have this feeling but with my non-chanel purchases. They are not unused at all but unused for a while now. In particular, my Celine trapeze - it is such a big bag that doesn't suit my lifestyle anymore. However deep down I still love it and can't let it go...
I guess the same can be said of my Chanel vintage jumbo flap...

Haha same here! In fact I baby my bags a lot that most of the higher maintenance ones don't get much wear.

BUT, it makes me very, very happy :smile:. I love looking at my wardrobe collection in pristine condition.

No regrets. I love my beautiful pieces sitting in the closet :biggrin:.

Do you have any bag you're eying when you sell the ever classic Jumbo?

Yes. This happens to me everything with any brand new Chanel purse. My second Chanel was a 226 reissue in bronze. I had kept it in the box in the back of closet. However, I summed up all my courage and took it (as the only purse) on a short trip with me. I think you need courage to break in a purse. Once you use it for a couple of days consecutively, your prior concern and love would grow into appreciation of its practicality.

Oh I hate to say it, but yes, there are handbags that are in my closet that are brand new - never carried. I'm currently letting go of almost all of my LV's. I was never a fan of canvas LV's , so most of them are/were leather, hence much more expensive than a lot of folks on the Bay want to pay. I'm selling them to purchase Chanel - of course!
I try really hard to think through my Chanel purchases, but something always seems to come along that I just have to have. Let's talk Cruise 2017! :blush:

Reactions: whiteswan1010
I have the exact same bag as you that I debated on for YEARS whether I should keep or not. I remember I was looking for this bag for months and no one had it in stock until one day I called Neiman Marcus and they said they have one available! I was so so happy to have finally found it! This was my first jumbo flap and I thought this would be a great size as an ‘everyday’ bag. I have mostly smaller flaps and thought I needed a bigger flap to hold my everyday essentials. Being petite, I felt that this bag was too overwhelming for my frame. I literally carried it one time and knew right away that this size bag is not for me. I had it for 5 years just sitting in my closet, but I just couldn’t get myself to part with it until a few weeks ago. I finally decided to send it in to AFF for consignment. I absolutely love classic flaps and now I am on the hunt for the perfect M/L Black Lambskin Classic Flap to replace my jumbo. I rotate which bag I carry all the time and I was telling my husband that this is the only bag that I never reach for and he gave me the courage to part with it and get the size that I know I will use. These bags are beautiful, but what good is it if they are just sitting in our closets not being used. I want to enjoy my bags and I’m glad I sent it in.
I was like you but in reverse. Last year I purchased a black M/L caviar and within weeks regretted it and longed for a jumbo black classic. I'm on the tall side but thin.
Long story short - I could not rest until I found my black jumbo. I was so thrilled and used it all the time. Now after 6 months later having them both in my closet I have come to love them both equally realizing that they each hold their place in a different way. I will love those two kids forever!:heart::smile:

Reactions: designer307
Yes. I've already sold them but still have a LV that is sitting there. If I could return it to the store, I would but it's too late. What makes me wonder is when I've purchased these "don't touch just look" bags, I REALLY wanted the bag! I thought out what outfits the bag would work with; thought long and hard to make sure it would fit my lifestyle and saved up the money for each one and yet.....I NEVER reached for them. Wish I knew/could figure out why.....

I think it's a matter of what makes you happy and how you think of your bags. :smile:

In the past I had bags I didn't use. I sold them all because I want an active collection of beautiful bags that make me giddy and that I wear. I can't stand to have ones I don't. They feel like a waste of space, money and mental energy. Of course, some bags get more wear than others. For example, formal bags get less wear than non formal ones - I'm not going to a gala every day.:lol: But every bag I own has to be in the rotation or it gets cut.

I'll even manufacture reasons to wear my more expensive, "special" bags. I won't do that for my "regular" bags. So I try not to buy any of the latter anymore. I'm carefully (and sometimes painfully) curating my collection to only add and own bags that are perfect for how I live.

Some people really enjoy collecting just to own and look at their bags. And that's great! Our bags should make us happy whatever our approach. But I personally only get joy from a bag when it's supporting my wardrobe and my lifestyle.

Hi everyone! I can't believe I'm typing this but, I am having a dilemma. I have a black caviar jumbo flap with gold hardware that I unfortunately don't use. It is the bag I only dreamed of having one day. & I got a great price. (I saved up a TON of store rewards)
I do feel bad that I don't get much use out of her. I live in New York and work in Manhattan. So, I feel paranoid carrying it everyday in the public transit. (Parking in Manhattan on the daily basis is nearly impossible)
So back to my main question, do you have any bags you absolutely love but don't use and still keep? I just don't know if I should keep something so expensive sitting in my closet.

So, I never understood this whole mentality of you MUST use your Chanel's often in order to justify how much you spent. I firmly believe that Chanel bags are special bags that are to be used for special occasions (weddings, nice dinners out, etc) and not as your everyday, throw around bag. For the amount of $$$ that you spent, I would think that you would try to preserve this bag for as long as you can so you can enjoy it longer.
I suppose if I had disposable income then yes, I can probably use my jumbo flaps as an every day bag. Since I don't, I treat them like little treasures, only to be taken out and used for nice occasions...Plus, I can't stand looking at beat up flaps. I have my LV's and Balenciaga's as my work horse bags...I'd like to leave my Chanel's in pristine condition for as long as I can. It doesn't mean I don't love them just because I don't use them as often :love:

I tend to notice all my lighter colored bags were always left on the shelves rather than loved so I sold them all recently. I am sticking to dark colors now (they work better in my closet anyway... it may be hot in the summer but I still wear black XD)

I also tend to never wear bags where the straps arent comfortable or long enough... So I have also sold those bags as well. I am rouding out my collection to get onto to ban island. I must be good. Ive had my fun, time to shop from ym own closet XD

Reactions: chicnfab
I know exactly what you mean with the Chanel jumbo. I have the same issue. I'm too paranoid carrying it around in my city! I love it but it practically never sees the light of day and it is not exactly easy to wear everyday for me because I tend to be more casual and love totes. I have thought about selling it but then I keep telling myself I'll maybe carry down the road. I am not one to keep things unless they're being actively used.