Have you ever dyed your own hair?!

ahs483

Jun 17, 2006
So I have a dilemma. I usually get my hair highlighted professionally but right now I am trying to save some money so that is no longer a priority. However, my roots are really starting to show and it's really bothering me so I was looking into maybe just dying my hair. I have never ever done ANYTHING to my hair so this is all new (ands cary) to me....anyways, I'm naturally a dirty/darker blonde, but when I get my hair highlighted its a lighter, golder blonde but definitely nowhere near bleach blonde....so.....dye my hair? Stick it out and get highlights professionally done? What would you do?
TIA!

EDIT:
THinking about trying this/this color..what do you think?
http://www.sephora.com/browse/produ...Id=C21002&shouldPaginate=true#askAndAnswerTab

also, i attached a pic of my hair color looking what it looks like now. my roots are more prominent now.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I think you can definitely achieve the look at home, if not done by yourself. I used to dye my own hair when I had a pixie cut back in the day (college). Now that I've slightly longer hair, I still get it done at home but with the help of a friend. Longer hair is tougher to dye correctly on your own, especially in the back. You might miss places and get an uneven color.

My suggestion is, find a box dye or get the ingredients from Sally's, and have someone dye it for you at home. It's cheaper and works just as well for me!

I would recommend putting it on your roots first and then for the final 10 minutes run it through the blonde. If you put it all on at once the blonde will turn darker before the roots have time to lighten.. Good luck!

eekkkk okay well I ordered that dye so with help of a friend I'm going to dye it. Thanks for the tip on doing the ends for less time, kayti!!

Ill let you guys know how it turns out!!

i have started dyeing my own hair ever since i started studying abroad. it is easy and quick, and save a lot of $$ too! let us know how you go :smile:

Hope it turned out well.

I've been dying my own hair for almost 2 years now. Started out using the boxed dyes, but then moved on to mixing my own color for the last year.

I have long hair and have dyed it myself many many times, with better and with slightly worse results :biggrin:

I find highlighting my own hair trickiest, because at least in my case the color can become slightly yellow/orange-ish (but that's maybe cause I have brown hair). I used to dye my hair with Loreal's Recital Preference and it gave a very lasting color, thought it can be a bit helmet-like.

Last summer I dyed with Schwartzkopf's Natural & Easy and it was fabulous! Gave very natural and extremely beautiful color so would recommend!

okay heres the results!!! I REALLY REALLY like it but it is NOTHING like it is on the box.

looks brighter, cuter in person. let me know if you guys have any questions!!!

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-12-03 at 14.47.jpg
    Photo on 2010-12-03 at 14.47.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Photo on 2010-12-03 at 14.26.jpg
    Photo on 2010-12-03 at 14.26.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited: