Have You Ever Disappeared?

I kind of want to ... some of my friends probably feel like I have. I am going through a transitional period. My life is on a different path than my friends. I almost feel like we have grown apart in many ways. I want to figure things out first. They ask me too many questions that I cannot answer.

As far as romantic relationships ... I wish I have, instead of hanging on to broken relationships.

I'm not so much talking about drifting off from people but staying in the same area. I'm talking about moving away, changing job fields, different vehicle(s), wiping or at least masking your web presence. Some combination of those things. No chance of bumping into them at a store.

I'm in the middle of wiping some web tracks now. Disassociating myself with certain web groups. A disappearance in the virtual world from people who never knew where I lived to begin with and never knew my name.

I don't know anyone personally, but there have been people who've done that. There's even a couple books about how to disappear, too. I don't think it's anything uncommon; you can find stuff like this on the web. Heck, I know I've wanted to disappear on many occasions (especially while I was in grad school because I hated my life at that moment).

I think if I were to do something that extreme, I'd try to be really methodical about it and make sure it's practical enough to carry out. I think sometimes when we're stuck in a rut or just unhappy we might idealize how it'd be like if we were free from our obligations in our current situation. In some sense, it's almost like suicide because you're ending your current life and any ties you have connected to that life.

I personally have no qualms with anyone wanting to disappear. I can really sympathize given how crappy life can be, and sometimes people just need to recharge and start anew. On the other hand, unless you really, really know what you're doing, I don't know how easy it would be to disappear, kwim? Interesting concept, though...

I had married, and in the space of several months, moved to a new residence, switched jobs and changed my name. Before this, that person (whom I disappeared from) could find me and/or show up at any given moment and they would go psycho. I didn't tell anyone who was in our circle. My former co-workers were asked not to divulge any information. Years later, I suddenly found myself recognizing a mutual acquaintance in my area, but walked right past them, out of concern for my own safety.

sometimes you grow and you change, and people who were your friends have not...when being with them causes more grief than joy, I've definitely disappeared - cut them out of facebook, etc. and have moved on. Sometimes you have to in order to move on, meet people who can help you grow as an individual and move on.

I didnt really just "disappear", I just didn't make contact with this person. I just felt we had drifted and I just wasnt enjoying their company at all. I do feel bad for how it all happened.

If I were to just disappear from this current life, the only thing I'd truly miss is my current SO.:crybaby: If I ever do, I'm afraid that I won't find someone as wonderful as he is or it will be too much of trial and error game.

Wow...I feel for those that have had to disappear to the extreme...or for those who have had to cut someone they cared about out of their life due to unhealthy relationships...

I don't think I could ever disappear because I have family that would go nuts trying to find out where I was...and friends. So I don't think I could get away with it..

Once I went on a road trip by myself and didn't tell anyone I was going for a couple of days...that was heaven, just heaven. But I had to break down and talk because some would worry about me!!

I hope those that have had to do it in the past are ok and don't regret it...