Have you ever considered working for H?

Sometimes I think I'd be very good at it because I seem to know the inventory better than most SA's I meet. And I have more enthusiasm. And I would like to see a customer leave feeling wonderful about his/her purchase.

On the other hand, if a woman tried on forty seven scarves and tied them in intricate knots and got make up on them, and then walked out without buying, I do believe I'd rip her little heart out.

This is sooo weird! I was thinking about this the other night and just found the thread! I tried working for a company I'd been very loyal to as a customer once - it was such a letdown to find out how they 'make the sausage.' I would be heartbroken to have my fantasies dashed about beloved H!

Maybe for corporate if the conditions were right but definitely not as a SA. I'm too honest and can't lie to save my life, much less meet my quota. Plus I've witnesses the abuse that unfortunately most of my local staff goes through on a regular basis. Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

I've definitely witnessed customers throwing a fit because they couldn't return some obviously abused/worn scarf they probably found on the street. It would be hard for anyone to take and I certainly understand why the SAs at H require some persistence from customers to get the best service. I think that especially in high traffic stores, some of them are just worn out by the tourists who never ever buy.

That being said, it would be fun once a week with no sales quota. Do they have a concierge position? I could talk endlessly about Jean-Claude Ellena's new fragrances or which leather would suit a Bolide best. Maybe I am looking for a docent position. LOL.

I can see that happening. Didn't happen for me.....I turned my love of fashion design into a career....all it did was burn me out, wreck havoc in my personal life and show me the difficult, cut-throat, cost-cutting, nasty wholesale/retail side of an industry I loved and admired. I still love and admire it but I don't want any part of it.

Maybe I should have been a stylist or personal shopper instead! Now THAT I might have been able to deal with! LOL!!!!!

I agree. Retail is a very tough job! (Things are never how they appear.) I think it much better to work where one can earn more $$$'s ,and then show up at H as a valued customer!

Inventory, I want to be in charge of their inventory! I can count! (one birkin, 2 birkins 3 birkins, 4!) Just pay me a pittance (I'm easy) ;), cover my expenses :tup:, but allow me all the fringe benefits.:drool: I was interested in quality control manager, but I think there is another (more qualified) member who gets that plum post. :supacool:

I think they already think I work there. Once a week, Mondays, I rotate from Wall St. to Madison Ave. I never seem to get a paycheck and my employee discount doesn't ever seem to work! I keep showing up in vain and always end up just buying something out of frustration with my supervisor.

I spent many years off and on working in retailing (went to the old Tobe-Coburn retailing school in NYC in the 1960's). Retailing is lots of long hours and hard work for very little pay (unless one is in the upper management of a large chain). It can also be creative and if one likes people and fashion, can be fun, too. It is ALWAYS hard on the feet, back and legs!!!

My first supervisory position was my Xmas work period while at Tobe-Coburn. It was at Bloomingdale's in the ladies robe dept. At that time, regular SA's were not allowed to do returns, so I had to do them for my dept and also fill in when needed in the ladies undergarment dept. Oh my! What an eye openener! First of all, it was a union store and I had little control over my sales staff - if one reprimanded a SA, they could and did file a union grievance. Not fun! And the customers! I swear every single woman in NYC bought and returned 10 robes before Xmas that year (I think it was 1964)! The "best" was in the underwear dept when a customer tried her best to return some VERY worn and "soiled" underwear. Unbelievable!

I learned that one must totally detach oneself - the customer is not yelling at one personally, just ones job. I also learned to turn things around and ask the customer what would make her happy. When one does that, most customers become pretty reasonable.

I'm too old and my poor old back and feet would never survive, but I'd adore to work at Hermes, regardless of the pay. It's always much more fun to sell mdse that one loves - not hard at all. Of course, the fact the the closest Hermes boutique is 5 hours away, makes this all just fantasy.

I would like to be a secret shopper.....where can I sign up for that??? I would like to keep the things I buy, only because I think it is more authentic that way...

:P

AAN, I think you would make a marvelous SA!!!!!

Nope, I would not. Then all the lovely bags would go to paying customers and not myself! LOL!

That said, if my store ever needs temporary staff, I wouldn't mind standing in for awhile! It would be fun, on a short term basis.

I could see being totally into it for a little while (like a week maybe) and then getting sick of it and losing good feelings about the brand.
I don't know if this is a good analogy but for me it would be little bit like enjoying playing a musical instrument but losing the fun when it is a job.

Tamarind has it exactly right (for me). I even thought of the musical instrument analogy when I saw this thread, as it applies to my life.

I think they already think I work there. Once a week, Mondays, I rotate from Wall St. to Madison Ave. I never seem to get a paycheck and my employee discount doesn't ever seem to work! I keep showing up in vain and always end up just buying something out of frustration with my supervisor.

Ha ha, this reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld
In "The Bizarro Jerry", he worked at an office where he was not actually employed, describing his daily activities to Jerry as "T.C.B. You know, takin' care of business." His "boss" eventually "fires" him, commenting that his reports resemble work by someone with "no business training at all."
Keep trying castorny - maybe one day they will at least give you the employee discount!