Have You Ever Been On Jury Duty ?

I served on a Federal case. It was a drug trafficing charge where we found the defendant guilty. I was kind of amazed how few questions they asked me. The police officers that made the arrest, were from the same city where my brother used to work as an officer.

On a separate note, I was once brought in, but wasn't picked, in the case where this guy abducted a woman in Newport Beach but her body wasn't found until years later in his freezer.

3 times for me!!! I was called twice while living in Texas. First one was a civil case -- something about a guy who had hired a company from the TV guide to work on his house and didn't do the work... it was incredibly boring. I barely remember it and had trouble staying awake! But, did have fun with the other jurors... took 5 days.

2nd one was a criminal case. Drunk driver. What a mess that one was! The DA assistant prosecuting the case was great but it was his very first time. We jurors had to keep leaving the room because they would have to discuss order or something... that one was 9 days long! We found him guilty even though we had to dismiss the breathalizer test. Found out afterwards he was 6 times over the legal limit. :wtf:

3rd one was small town Iowa... drunk driving and open container. I was shocked when the judge asked if anybody knew the defendant and they ended up dismissing over 55 people because most of them were related to him! :P I was waaaay down the list and thought for sure they would dismiss me when I told them I had been on a similar case and we found the guy guilty. Nope -- I was chosen. Think they had run out of jurors - haha! That was was very strange -- one of the jurors claimed she wanted on this particular case SO bad because her son had been arrested on DWI by the same cop and she "wanted to get him good." HUH??? I thought that was very wrong but didn't complain and neither did anybody else. Found this guy guilty on the drunk driving charges but not the open container. I was for convicting on both but finally gave up on the latter as long as we went with the forner. This one took 2 days.

On my first jury duty, I was questioned in a murder case that had been moved to a different jurisdiction (ours). They explained how the jurors had to be very sound of mind, etc. They questioned me for OVER an hour and the other jurors around me told me I'd better be ready for the 6 weeks they said it would take. But I was never picked. Guess I wasn't sound of mind enough. :lol:

I was called an picked once as an alternate - it took about 3 days. I didn't actually vote on the verdict b/c I was an alternate.

Its depressing to hear about people thinking its ok to just get out of it. Its a very serious part of our civic duties to serve on a jury, especially in criminal cases. In many areas they have a huge problem getting educated individuals to serve because they would rather duck the system. This leaves the accussed with a poorer pool of prospective jurors. I take the obligation very seriously as a moral obligation and have been called again, but I was a student at the time and in a different state, so I had to get excused.

I think if you'd rather not vote because you might get called for a jury then you might want to get rid of your driver's license b/c states are using those as well now.

I thought it rocked that Oprah served, and I'm not even a fan of her's.

I've served 3 times (once I had to get out of it). I was chosen for two civil cases and one murder case with special circumstances (that lasted 2-3 months). It was boring at times, but found it interesting. It's enlightening when it's taken seriously. 2 or 3 jurors on one of the civil cases voted not guilty because they wanted to go home and God forbid would have to stay longer to deliberate damages of the victim in the event the defendant was found guilty. Another juror said the defendant was of the same religion as her, so everything she said had to be the truth. :shrugs:

I was on a jury for a drug case once. I will never forget when they brought a "brick" of marijuana in the jury room as evidence. I felt like I was on CSI.
The guy ended up being found guilty. I wasn't the foreman, so I didn't have to say anything. I didn't want to look at him, I thought he would hate me for life. The judge gave him probation which is like nothing.
I did learn a little about the justice system though.

winternight said:
I was called an picked once as an alternate - it took about 3 days. I didn't actually vote on the verdict b/c I was an alternate.

Its depressing to hear about people thinking its ok to just get out of it. Its a very serious part of our civic duties to serve on a jury, especially in criminal cases. In many areas they have a huge problem getting educated individuals to serve because they would rather duck the system. This leaves the accussed with a poorer pool of prospective jurors. I take the obligation very seriously as a moral obligation and have been called again, but I was a student at the time and in a different state, so I had to get excused.

I think if you'd rather not vote because you might get called for a jury then you might want to get rid of your driver's license b/c states are using those as well now.

I thought it rocked that Oprah served, and I'm not even a fan of her's.

I'm shocked they picked you as an alternate, Tammy, considering you're an attorney. I was always under the impression they wanted to pick people who had as little knowledge of the law as possible. Maybe it was before you were a lawyer!

I had the privilege to serve in one criminal and one civil case.

Criminal - Murder trial, lasted over a month. Found him guilty and then had to deliberate 1st, 2nd, or manslaughter. First vote majority was 1st degree...read the definititions...second vote, everyone swung to 2nd degree (including me). Then after that was done, we had to determine if he used a weapon (knife). I think it was about the 3 strikes law.

Civil - Class action suit. Sales reps suing co. for expense allowances (~ $150 each). I volunteered as foreperson coz I didn't want the "chatty-kathies" to prolong the agony. We heard trial for 5 wks and then deliberated. I was the minority, 10-2 said no. Interesting...if you're not in sales you really don't know what expenses are incurred trying to sell.

GREAT experience, appreciated our judicial system...may not be the best but is sure better than most! It works!

I served it in NYC. You'd think that would be exciting, right? NOT! Those were the three most boring days of my life. The first day was kind of exciting but by the third, I was so happy when I found out I had 3 conflicts of interest that kept me from being on a case! :roflmfao: I am glad, though, that my office was right across the street from the courthouse. I didn't get a chance to go back often, but at least I knew the area very well in terms of restaurants, etc.

But I'd go home every night and pass out, I was so tired from the boredom. I think I'm still good for a few years yet- that was civil court, though, and I haven't been called for federal court. Let's hope I never am!

i've only been summoned. thank goodness i actually didn't have to serve. i wouldn't mind being on a one day trial though- just to experience how it is and see what it's like..

I have been called twice...once while I was in my Bar Review course and again after I passed. Both times I was excused, as being an attorney is an automatic disqualification. :sad: I would have liked the opportunity, though. One of my students this past summer was on a jury for a first degree murder case for about two weeks. She learned a lot.