Have You Ever Been Fired ?

I've never got fired but I quit my vacation job as a waitress after a week because I couldn't take standing on my feet for hours and I was sweating non stop in the uniform. The people were nice though.

Yes, I was « let go » from a job as a lift attendant at a ski area in Colorado when I was home working during Christmas break from college. They had a very legitimate reason, but I tried my hardest. Part of the job is picking up little people (mostly children) and pushing them violently back into the seat while their parents look the other way and trust the lift attendant with this task. May, I note, this is done with only one hand, as the other hand has to “catch” the chair. So, one day, a woman and her son show up in the line, and my heart starts to beat in a total panic because this kid might have been short, but, he was just a little robust for my right arm to pick up. When I say “a little” I am being kind and gentle. So, well, I did manage to get the little boy out of harms way (the chair didn’t hit him, in other words) but his mama had to go up by herself and leave Jr. behind, needless to say, she was not happy. Given the fact that even the little skinny ones posed a challenge for my frail fashion designing arms that ended my career ambition as a lift attendant. (not that I really had one, but I did like the free ski pass benifit) Some things are blessings in disguise!

Jennifer Marvin said:
Yes, I was « let go » from a job as a lift attendant at a ski area in Colorado when I was home working during Christmas break from college. They had a very legitimate reason, but I tried my hardest. Part of the job is picking up little people (mostly children) and pushing them violently back into the seat while their parents look the other way and trust the lift attendant with this task. May, I note, this is done with only one hand, as the other hand has to “catch” the chair. So, one day, a woman and her son show up in the line, and my heart starts to beat in a total panic because this kid might have been short, but, he was just a little robust for my right arm to pick up. When I say “a little” I am being kind and gentle. So, well, I did manage to get the little boy out of harms way (the chair didn’t hit him, in other words) but his mama had to go up by herself and leave Jr. behind, needless to say, she was not happy. Given the fact that even the little skinny ones posed a challenge for my frail fashion designing arms that ended my career ambition as a lift attendant. (not that I really had one, but I did like the free ski pass benifit) Some things are blessings in disguise!

They sure are, Thanks for posting

Oh gosh...I was fired. And fired hard. I hated the job. I worked for a City municipality. When I was hired, the job was supposed to be for a coordinator, not a secretary. I was less than a secretary in reality. It sucked. I was bored and miserable. And my behavior reflected that. On Valentine's Day I got called in to the manager's office and let go. :sad: I cried SO hard for the rest of the day. And the next day I got off my rear and started job searching.

The one I found is the one I'm still at and I LOVE it! Well, okay, love is a strong word, however it is a wonderful company. Plus it is flexible enough for me to pursue my other passion in making jewelry. ;)

So it was a blessing in disguise, even though it hurt like heck at the time!

The thread about shortest jobs made me think about this. Who here has ever been fired from a job?? I'll start...

For all of you who are in college or just out of college and lose a job or two, don't let people tell you your career is over!! I made a side career of getting fired during college! Let's see... I got fired from Domino's Pizza (delivery girl) after about 8 months working there (crappy boss), and Pizza Pronto (delivery girl) after another 7 months (even crappier boss). I got fired after one week on a job as a secretary, and from a newspaper as a paste up artist after a full year (never have a relationship with the boss...) ;)

So in the end I believe I have been fired about... 4 times. But I've been at my current job for almost 18 years and plan to make it until retirement.

Hehe, Caannie, you're like a pizza delivering pro !! :graucho:

I haven't been fired before.. it's all been me leaving by choice or the end of a contract. I do wish for some jobs that I had done stupid stuff out of spite that would have justified a firing.. ! :biggrin:

ayla said:
Hehe, Caannie, you're like a pizza delivering pro !! :graucho: :biggrin:

Oh yeah! Back in college I drove pizzas around for all the best!! ;) Except most of the pizza places were run by older single men who thought college girl employees were there to date them! ;)