have you altered your shoes before (cut off the heel)?

OP....

i am not as tall as you...i am 5'7...bit too tall for asian as well...and i am from asia..so you can imagine.
well...about cutting the heels...i had it done once by mistake. the heels were 4" and they cobbler cut them into 3-5/8". the proportion of the shoes looks bit off but not obvious. honestly...i would not cut the heels off...enjoy your height. i am sure your bf love your height...so embrace your height.

Reactions: papertiger
I had the heels on my wedding shoes lowered. I fell in love with them but I have bad feet and physically can not wear high heels, and when I tried the shoes on I could walk around in them but I knew they were just a touch too high for me to wear for a full day. So the shoe store recommended a cobbler and he was able to lower them for me. Made a world of difference, but it really depends on the shoe.

Rock your height, seriously. Do not go threw all that trouble to make someone else comfortable with your height.

agree! you're never going to be as short as your friends, no matter what you do...and whether you wear heels or not, you're still going to look taller.. so yeah, rock it!

I'd rather get some custom shoes made than fool with paying designer prices and THEN paying to have them fixed and hoping it comes out right.

Has anyone tried lowering a heel AND removing a platform? Is the entire sole of the shoe removed and replaced with a new one? Not that it ultimately matters, but I would rather if the golden prada logo on the sole stayed put.

I was gifted a pair of 3.5 inch heels with a half inch platform. I can walk in them fine but I don't like to wear anything higher than 3" so i was going to donate them. But if I can have the platform removed then I can have the heel shortened a 1/2 inch!

I once purchased a pair of heels on EBay that had shortened heels (it was not disclosed in the auction listing). Not only did they look weird, but they felt weird too. When you shorten a heel, the shoe becomes unbalanced (it affects the arch, etc.).

have not! will not! the cobbler will say yea, but I say nay!! The shoe was designed with a particular last, and heel height, reducing this even by the 1/4 or 1/2 " that is suggested will have an effect on the balance of the shoe and perhaps yours as well!!!!

I have done it to my heels before. My cobbler said the max he could ever go was 1/2". I must admit one of my Choos felt funny I did that but I simply couldn't rock them at the original height for office wear. So I wouldn't do that unless you are desperate i.e. will die without it, will die in it. As for platform, I don't know but I doubt it - my cobbler swears he will start charging the next lady who comes along with the same heel cutting request a huge fortune. Cos apparently its a lot of work.

I was wondering if someone could give me advice about altering shoes- my problem is that I'm already really tall but all the cool shoe designs have really high heels. I'm thinking about buying sandals and then having the heel cut off a bit. Anyone ever try this? Does it ruin the balance of the shoe?

Thanks!

Just how tall are you?
There are a lot of us tall gals on here :smile:

I hear ya; I am nearly 5 ft 10 and I love my heels. Actually I've had about 6 of my very high pairs cut down by my cobbler. He is very careful typically he takes off 1/4 inch or less. Rarely more than 1/4 inch as it throws off the balance of the shoe. Last time around he did a nearly 4 inch Manolo evening shoe -- just that 1/4 inch made the difference between major pain and minor pain! My advice, go to a cobbler you know and trust who is adept at this sort of thing. Good luck!

Yay! Glad to hear im not the only one that sees all of these beautiful shoes ...with 3-4 inch heels. Im tall, and would love to wear them, but would not feel comfortable being way over 6" with heels. Would love to see a clothing or shoe thread just for us tall girls

I was wondering if someone could give me advice about altering shoes- my problem is that I'm already really tall but all the cool shoe designs have really high heels. I'm thinking about buying sandals and then having the heel cut off a bit. Anyone ever try this? Does it ruin the balance of the shoe?

Thanks!
I am 5'10 1/2" and I've been shortening heels on shoes for 50 years. Yes, you can with most but some shoes it just doesn't come out right. I've even done wedgies and the shoemaker said the toe would tip up....no they are great. Under 1" no problem. Over 1" it is worth the try if you love the shoes. Right now I have 2 pairs in the shop being shortened 1". All the pretty shoes have heels. Go for it girl! Krista

1/4” tops or you can crack the shank and destroy the shoe. Honestly think that’s a waste of money as although 1/4” can change the pitch and make the shoe more walkable for some, it’s not going to make a visual difference in your height so IMO it’s a waste of money.

I agree with “Rock Your Height”. My husband is very tall but when I was younger I almost married a guy who was about an inch taller than me and I towered over him in high heels so I stopped wearing them. He was very vocal that he thought my legs were amazing in high heels (my height is totally in my legs) and I should wear them whenever I wanted although he totally understood when I didn’t want to wear them for comfort. Probably should have married him!

I haven’t read this whole thread so if I am repeating anything I apologize. The number one thing is who you take your shoes to. A reputable cobbler will tell you honestly what can be done. If you are in US and anywhere near NJ the place to go, for anything leather related, is Ragu Brothers. They are the best. All high end luxury stores at The Mall at Short Hills send all repairs there. That said the most you should ever do is one heel tap (black thing on bottom of heel) to keep the shoe on balance. It doesn’t sound like much, but it does make a difference.

I'm 5' 9" or 175 cm. I'm asian too, so that makes me an anomaly. My BF is exactly my height (and he slouches) and all my friends are in the 5 - 5' 3" range! I think it would look strange if I towered over them :sad:
Please do not cut off your heels. They are high for a reason dear. Just rock them as much as you can. No one will think you are strange for wearing HIGH heels. It is actually just the opposite - everyone thinks you are special for wearing a really high heel. Trust me - I speak from lots of experience.