Have some Questions about new dog in house.

jenniletv

O.G.
Aug 24, 2006
If anyone read my thread about the lost puppy we have inherited, well she is still with us. she was not microchipped and still there are not lost dog signs anywhere to find. Well we have been bringing her inside because it is soo cold outside. We have an 11 year old cat and this puppy is 9 months old. Will they ever get along??? We have been introducing them slowly and keeping the dog on a leesh and the cat seems to be okay with it all but if the dog barks it freaks the cat out. We have been alternating which animal to keep in a room all night. Is this the right thing to do? Can they ever learn to co-exist?

Also we let the dog out to potty but how many times should we do this in a day? She has not messed in the house but I don't think she is really letting us know she has to go, she may be holding it. And then when we put her outside she will not "go" unless one of us is out there to keep telling her to go. Should I be concerned if the dog is only pooping once a day? It has been a long time since I have been around dogs.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

This is what I have found works the best, my $0.02.
First of all, the dog has to earn the priviledge of being allowed to roam free in the house. I have found the easiest way to potty train a dog, puppies or older rescues is to crate train. Dogs are den animals and like to have their own place. Dogs will not go to the bathroom in their "den," unless it is grossly oversized. This is why it is more difficult to train tiny dogs to potty outside... the house is relatively so much larger to them.

When you get up in the morning, take the dog out of the crate and right out to the "bathroom." Use a word to create an association with what is being done "Go potty!", then "good potty." Then feed the morning meal. Back out again for a potty. Anytime you open the crate, take your dog right out to potty. Same with the evening meal...right out afterwards. If you find an accident in the home, do not scold. Unless the dog is in the act of doing it, it will not get it. Just have them smell it and take the dog right out. Restrict water intake an hour before bedtime. And take the dog out to potty right before he goes in the crate for bed.

Also, keep the dog leashed to you until the training is complete. That means when you are in the house, the dog is right there with you. The dog learns that you are the leader and will focus on you. Take the dog out every few hours to potty, until he gets the idea. The general rule of thumb is that a puppy can hold it for as many hours as it it months old. 9 months = 9 hours. I think this is too long really, but after a week of reinforcing the trips outside every few hours, then go to 4-5 hours. If the dog has an accident, then reduce the hours between trips.
Another thing to increase the association of outdoors and potty is when taking the dog to the door, say something like "do you have to go potty?" or "c'mon let's go potty." Always go to the same door. This has an added advantage. If the dog is sick or really has to go and you are not there, they will go right near the door. This usually doesn't happen too often once the house manners are learned. But, put a washable rubber backed rug right in front of the inside door.

^ Good advice. Thanks so much. Question. Should the dog stay in the crate or room even during the day and the night when we are gone?

Yes, until he has earned the privilege to be left out. It is probably safer for him, especially since he and the cat haven't worked out their differences. Make sure he gets a positive attitude about the crate. He should never associate it with punishment. I adopted a rescue Corgi (passed on in 2005) that had been punished in her crate. She could never get use to it, and chewed her way out, damaging her front teeth. We ended up putting her (loose) in a small room with a baby gate. The other dogs and their crates were in there too.

Our dogs are 5 and 6 now and they can be trusted to roam free in part of the house, when I am gone. However, many times they will sleep in their open crates because it is their personal space. If you do leave him in the crate, make sure someone can check on him, if you are going to be late. It helps to have a crate in your bedroom, so he can sleep in it at night...until he eventually ends up in bed, :graucho:.

The easiest way to crate train is to make it an inviting place with a soft blankie. If the dog has not been used to a crate, keep the door open and toss a little treat in the back, praise him when he goes in. Repeat this frequently. Don't force the issue, just make it a safe place for him. Also, when you are ready to close the door, give him a treat and a toy like a stuffed kong that does not need supervision.

Your other question about the cat...It depends. They may learn to love each other, or never like each other, or exist with mutual disregard. Some dogs who are really prey driven, don't ever get along with cats. My Siamese Sony and my first Corgi (both gone now) were the best of friends. They would snuggle up and clean each others ears. Only time will tell.

When are we going to see some pictures of your honey-pie? Have you decided on a name?

jburgh gave some great advice! I can't wait to see some pictures of Jasmine. If she is only 9 months old then she definitely can pick up on any training you give her and will adjust to your cat. Your cat will probably show her who is boss and Jasmine will settle down and just put up with kitty.

You've gotten good advice. I'll just chime in a bit. As to the pooping, once a day is okay. Sometimes it is more, but every dog has their own habits. As long as she's going regularly.

As to getting the cat and dog together, they've already been introduced, so the way my family and I have handled it is to allow the dog to hang out w/ us and be there to monitor. Also, the dog has not earned run of the house- I'd only allow here where your family is. Eventually, they will get curious, check one another out and they may have a spat. That's why you need to be there to make sure nobody gets hurt. They will adjust though. It takes time. My cat hated my dog at first and I just monitored them and when I was not home, he was crated or in a bathroom w/ his bed, a bathroom pad and baby-gated in. Now, they love each other. The cat grooms the dog and they sleep together on the floor and play and play!

As to alternating the animals, I would not. Pick a place for the dog to sleep and keep it constant. If you are crating at night, find a quiet place for the crate that the dog learns to associate as hers, so when she gets tired, she knows where to rest. Cats are different, I don't think you can tell them where to sleep. But for dogs, I think consistency w/ everything is key.

As to going outside, see how often she needs to go- take her out every few hours and then see if she has accidents. I take my dog out about every 2 hours and he's just shy of a year. He is just now learning to stand by the door and sit if he is ready before I am.

This is what I have found works the best, my $0.02.
First of all, the dog has to earn the priviledge of being allowed to roam free in the house. I have found the easiest way to potty train a dog, puppies or older rescues is to crate train. Dogs are den animals and like to have their own place. Dogs will not go to the bathroom in their "den," unless it is grossly oversized. This is why it is more difficult to train tiny dogs to potty outside... the house is relatively so much larger to them.

When you get up in the morning, take the dog out of the crate and right out to the "bathroom." Use a word to create an association with what is being done "Go potty!", then "good potty." Then feed the morning meal. Back out again for a potty. Anytime you open the crate, take your dog right out to potty. Same with the evening meal...right out afterwards. If you find an accident in the home, do not scold. Unless the dog is in the act of doing it, it will not get it. Just have them smell it and take the dog right out. Restrict water intake an hour before bedtime. And take the dog out to potty right before he goes in the crate for bed.

Also, keep the dog leashed to you until the training is complete. That means when you are in the house, the dog is right there with you. The dog learns that you are the leader and will focus on you. Take the dog out every few hours to potty, until he gets the idea. The general rule of thumb is that a puppy can hold it for as many hours as it it months old. 9 months = 9 hours. I think this is too long really, but after a week of reinforcing the trips outside every few hours, then go to 4-5 hours. If the dog has an accident, then reduce the hours between trips.
Another thing to increase the association of outdoors and potty is when taking the dog to the door, say something like "do you have to go potty?" or "c'mon let's go potty." Always go to the same door. This has an added advantage. If the dog is sick or really has to go and you are not there, they will go right near the door. This usually doesn't happen too often once the house manners are learned. But, put a washable rubber backed rug right in front of the inside door.
ita... crate training is the best!!! my bostons :heart: their crate. not only will it help w/ potty training, but it will keep your furniture, dog and cat safe while you're gone. congrats on the new doggie, give the dog and cat time and they will both adjust.

I forgot to bring my memory card in with the pics but I will get some loaded for you guys soon. Yes we have now decided to just keep the dog up in her room at night and when we are gone to keep things constant. We have not bought a crate yet and it may be too late to incorporate that in now, right? We have been letting her loose with us and letting the cat loose too. There have have a few close calls, hissing, barking, but they are actually doing better then I though they would. My DH has been leading the dog to the cat calmly and letting them get acquainted. The cat is doing better then we thought. They are by no means ready to be alone together but it is progressing. Thanks for everyone's advice!!

I don't have any great words of wisdom other than I think that eventually they will learn to respect each other's territory and find a way to get along. I speak from many years of experience with a household full of dogs and cats.

I think it's wonderful you are taking Jasmine into your home and I hope all of you have a happy, healthy life together!