have some fun today: ENABLE A NEWBIE!

alatrop

O.G.
May 2, 2006
Hey girls (and guys!!). I'm new to the world of LV. I've been thinking of purchasing an LV item (or two) for the past year and a half and I think I might finally take the plunge before 2008 ends!

My first thought was to get a pochette to "test the waters" if you will. I don't plan on amassing a huge LV collection (at least not right now, i'm only 21 and on a limited income!) but I want a few essentials. I'm already a devoted Coach fan, but I need some convincing...

(PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, I do not mean it poorly at all)

How do you spend $500+ on coated canvas? I want to be swayed, but it's that one tiny detail that holds me back. Tell me your LVoe stories! Also add anything you think a newbie should know..i'm not totally uneducated on LV, i've lurked the forum a few times.

Hey girls (and guys!!). I'm new to the world of LV. I've been thinking of purchasing an LV item (or two) for the past year and a half and I think I might finally take the plunge before 2008 ends!

My first thought was to get a pochette to "test the waters" if you will. I don't plan on amassing a huge LV collection (at least not right now, i'm only 21 and on a limited income!) but I want a few essentials. I'm already a devoted Coach fan, but I need some convincing...

(PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, I do not mean it poorly at all)

How do you spend $500+ on coated canvas? I want to be swayed, but it's that one tiny detail that holds me back. Tell me your LVoe stories! Also add anything you think a newbie should know..i'm not totally uneducated on LV, i've lurked the forum a few times.

my advice would be to go to LV and try on some bags...its hard not to fall in LVoe:P

Coated canvas is, like leather, a material. Just because a material comes from a cow doesn't really make it that valuable. I love leather bags, but they can be overrated. Coated canvas lasts longer than leather, is more durable, and is waterproof.

People need to let go of the idea of leather as this precious, rare material. It's certainly special and soft, but cows are a dime a dozen.

Oh and yeah, go try on/handle some LV coated canvas bags and you'll realize why this material is special and high quality, and not just any old "canvas bag."

Coated canvas is, like leather, a material. Just because a material comes from a cow doesn't really make it that valuable. I love leather bags, but they can be overrated. Coated canvas lasts longer than leather, is more durable, and is waterproof.

People need to let go of the idea of leather as this precious, rare material. It's certainly special and soft, but cows are a dime a dozen.

This helped, thank you!:yes:

LV never goes on sale and has no outlets. The style you buy will not be dated like other brands. You know when that bag came into season. Also Lv is lighter than many heavy leathers. But a Bh or BV first. This is a great starter bag.

Hi!
I'm also the same age as you with limited funds and was introduced to the world of LV via mother and friends. I got my first LV in Damier Azur and knew it was worth the price because my mama has had hers for decades and they've held up pretty well for it's age. Also just couldn't resist Damier Azur anyway and found that the coated canvas is pretty durable and since mamas' LV's lasted her decades, must be durable because she doesn't exactly "baby" her bags.

Honestly, I completely understand. I used to LOVE Coach too! The great thing about LV, that isn't the same about Coach (not that I'm knocking Coach) is that ANYTHING you buy from LV is instantly a classic. What does this mean? You can use it now, next year, 5 years from now, or 20 years from now. So it might be more of an investment in the beginning, but it's well worth it in the future. I love when I hear stories about mothers or grandmothers passing down LV to their daughters or granddaughters...You can certainly love Coach items as well, but none of them quite stand the test of time the way LV does.

This is really what swayed me full time to LV. I got tired of spending money on bags that 6 months later I felt were out of style. Not that they don't have their purpose. Coach is trendy and fun. If you invest in a Speedy or Pochette or any other LV classic, it will be something you can use and treasure for years and will still be in style years from now. That's what changed my mind... Although I always loved LV, I just didn't always understand the justification in spending the money. Now, I completely get it! :yes: Hope this helps to enable you.

ITA!:yes:

I would try one on and you will be completely convinced when you buy one. I was a Coach girl first to, and while I still really like my Coach bag, I Love my LV's though. The thing that is nicest about this LV is that it never comes in and out of style and it never goes on sale so you do not fell like you overpaid. I started to get really frustrated when I would buy a bag and then someone else would get the same for half the price. Or the need for every season to have a new one because yours now looks like the fakes since there are totally different styles available for purchase.

I almost think you will really no when you buy your first. I bought a speedy a few years ago, thinking it would be my only LV. I know have 6 bags, and am thinking aobut what will be next! :smile:

Honestly, I completely understand. I used to LOVE Coach too! The great thing about LV, that isn't the same about Coach (not that I'm knocking Coach) is that ANYTHING you buy from LV is instantly a classic. What does this mean? You can use it now, next year, 5 years from now, or 20 years from now. So it might be more of an investment in the beginning, but it's well worth it in the future. I love when I hear stories about mothers or grandmothers passing down LV to their daughters or granddaughters...You can certainly love Coach items as well, but none of them quite stand the test of time the way LV does.

This is really what swayed me full time to LV. I got tired of spending money on bags that 6 months later I felt were out of style. Not that they don't have their purpose. Coach is trendy and fun. If you invest in a Speedy or Pochette or any other LV classic, it will be something you can use and treasure for years and will still be in style years from now. That's what changed my mind... Although I always loved LV, I just didn't always understand the justification in spending the money. Now, I completely get it! :yes: Hope this helps to enable you.

Thank you! :flowers: I think once I have the extra money, i'll get a pochette to see how I feel. My guess? I'll have a Speedy (and maybe a wallet!) by the end of the year, haha.

You are kind of right about Coach, i've been so fickle with my purchases...i'm not ready to part with some bags yet but I want SO badly to feel like my money is going towards something that is worth it (in a more classic way, Coach is fabulous in aspects of quality and appeal!)

One other question? Do you feel that the Speedy is a comfortable option for an everyday bag? (I don't mind having to hand-carry or crook-of-the-arm carry a bag, but...is it light?)

I would like to know more about how the coated canvas lasts... i am also new to lv and have always believed that leather was *THE* best material for bags or wallets.

Thank you! :flowers: I think once I have the extra money, i'll get a pochette to see how I feel. My guess? I'll have a Speedy (and maybe a wallet!) by the end of the year, haha.

You are kind of right about Coach, i've been so fickle with my purchases...i'm not ready to part with some bags yet but I want SO badly to feel like my money is going towards something that is worth it (in a more classic way, Coach is fabulous in aspects of quality and appeal!)

One other question? Do you feel that the Speedy is a comfortable option for an everyday bag? (I don't mind having to hand-carry or crook-of-the-arm carry a bag, but...is it light?)

Yes! 100%! The Speedy is wonderful for an everyday bag and it's very light compared to other LV bags. It's also the most recognizable and classic bag available from LV. The best thing about it is that it comes in many sizes (ex: 25, 30, 35) and many styles (ex: Monogram, Damier, Damier Azur, Min Lin). I am excited for you and your first LV purchase. You'll be hooked!