Have my heart set on a Birkin

fansynancy

O.G.
Dec 7, 2009
I have two other Hermes bags, but my heart is really set on a 35 Birkin. I went to my local shop and did not get a very warm reception. They told me that they had Birkins in the back, just not for me :sad: I was in Las Vegas and the Sales Associate was lovely. She said that she did get Birkins and could contact me over the weekend, while I was in town, when they came in. She said she could get her manager to release the bag to me if I was an existing "customer". In other words, buy something else and she would sell me a bag. She showed me a $7000 bag, which was, of course, to die for. I left the store with nothing, since I was not up for spending $17K, when I really just wanted a Birkin.

So.... I am I better off buying a bag from a reseller? Or should I develop a relationship at my local boutique? I was told at one shop that there is no longer a waiting list. At another, I was told to put my name in the book.

My friends say go classic with a black or gold bag, but I just love a Blue Jean Birkin. Would that be a mistake if that is m "only" Birkin, at least for now?

Nancy

If you do go reseller there are a few good options and when you do get it reseller or retail waltz in to that store darling, get all those nasty little SA just a little mad and reffer to the threads suggested above the best one is the newbies how do I get a birkin .

Do you want or like any other H item, apart from the Birkin?

If yes, then take the time to develop a relationship with an SA. Your Birkin may come sooner than you think.

If no, you are better off going the reseller route.

if u just want a birkin, as you said in your post, then reseller is the speediest route.

otherwise, read up on the Newbie thread. due to harsh economy in the last years, it did get easier to get birkins as a walk-in. however, i sense that due to low stock (whether deliberate on H's end or higher demand from Chinese tourists), it will be harder to get them now.

of course, there is always Japan where you get birkin off the shelf if you are willing to pay for Japan's higher price.

Thank you so much for all of your fabulous advice. I have been looking at all of the resellers you have suggested and I feel so much more confidant knowing that they are recommended by the experts here. I am hitting my local boutique today (going to check out F&F at Bloomies). I do need to pick up some SLG and a gift for a friend. Maybe that will make me "legit" in the eyes of the SA. I stupidly bought my Lindy in St Bart. I think that purchase would have helped my cement a relationship if I had bought local :sad: The SA in SB said I could call ahead and she would have a bag waiting for me, but I have no immediate plans to go back. part of the reason I don't necessarily want/need to develop a relationship locally is that I am moving to the Napa Valley in July, so an East Coast relationship might go to waste. Again, thank you to everyone and I hope to be able to report back later with my progress today. Is Blue Jean a bad color choice? I am a young retiree (46), so I don't really have use for a "power bag" anymore.

Nancy

Actually I think blue jean is a great choice for a more casual look and have often been tempted myself. Sadly I do still need a corporate look and have stuck with the old classics. If you're a blue jeans kind of person, then when not, but if you have another favourite colour, then maybe go with that.