Have I done the wrong thing?

woody

Jan 10, 2009
I am wondering if I have to ask maybe I know the answer.

Last night I won an ebay auction and promptly emailed the seller to say I would arrange payment in the next 3-4 days (partly cause it is the weekend here so that is two days of it). I got a pretty curt reply from the seller along the lines of her needing the money too.

There was no payment timeframe specified in the listing and I thought basically you had 7 days.

I sell too so yes I do like people paying straight away but if they make contact and I know they are serious it is something I have come to accept.

It is a valuable item.......its not like $50 people might have sitting around.

Should I apologise and offer to cancel my mutual agreement if that is what she wants? I just have a bad (guilty) feeling and I don't want to proceed if the seller is angry with me cause I am a big wuss! I've been out with my mum this morning and I just felt awful and unsettled about all of this and need some second opinions. I was def not going to tell my mum I bought another thing! (oh and I am not 17 in case it sounds like it :P)

Last edited:
Is it on Evilbay? Evilbay gives the buyer up to 4 days to make payment until the seller is able to strike you as NPB. If you cancel the agreement, seller would still have to wait again to relist the item which in turns makes her wait even longer for the money she needs. Just let her know you'll pay her in the time you said you would. Unless she'll second offer the item to someone else?? Possible.

I'm sure that even if seller wanted you to pay within 24 hours and lots of sellers want that, they can't cancel the transaction. You both are in an agreement and Evilbay allowed you 4 days to make the payment. Angry or not, I don't think the seller can do much.

Happens to me a lot but all I do is suck it up and wait.

Last edited:
Yes, you definitely have 4 days to pay before they can file NPB (plus you get 3 days to respond, so technically 7 days), and furthermore, you were being NICE by telling the seller you intended to pay in that time. The seller is really being unreasonable. If you really want the item, then by all means go through with the sale--there's nothing they can "do" to you (in terms of feedback, etc), and if they try to cancel the sale/second offer the item, I would personally file non-performing seller.

Thank you both for your advice. I thought it was 7 days for a NPB so I am glad you have both confirmed it is actually 4 days. I have over 200+ feedback and have never not paid for an item. I really want the item and I'll push through with the transaction.

I guess I was just really suprised by the tone of her message but its sounds like she may have some financial pressure that is behind her comment.

Yes evil bay is more stressful than ever sadly

No you didnt do the wrong thing, If I make a BIN purchase on a friday I usually email the seller to confirm my winning purchase and let them know I will pay sunday evening or monday evening if it is a long weekend as between friday and sunday and or a public holiday monday most sellers are not going to make a special run to the po to get your item off.

You confirmed your winning bid , personally I dont think the seller need to get so *nal with you about it again though people are getting so rude on the bay lately has anyone else notice this?

All the best with this transaction

ps your daughter is a princess

Thank you both for your advice. I thought it was 7 days for a NPB so I am glad you have both confirmed it is actually 4 days. I have over 200+ feedback and have never not paid for an item. I really want the item and I'll push through with the transaction.

I guess I was just really suprised by the tone of her message but its sounds like she may have some financial pressure that is behind her comment.

I think you probably hit the nail on the head here. Because the norm is now 4 days, (and most people do pay within those), sellers probably plan their budgets around that time frame. Plus then it takes time to be able to get the money out of PayPal. Maybe they have just had a few non-payers and they have commitments to meet themselves. It's all a bit jumpy out there right now!

Personally, I think you were being honest and polite. But we all look at the world through the filter of the ups and downs of our daily lives. You are buying the bag, not the seller. I try remember this when I deal with people I find a little terse sometimes.

Hope you love the bag - don't stress it!

I've had buyers win auctions then I hear nothing for days. I would like for them to at least let me know they do want the item but will need a couple days to pay (as you did). Even if the seller really needs the money, by selling on eBay we take the chance of not getting immediate payment. I think you handled this well and if I were you I'd go along and get the item! No need to cancel if you want it. :smile: Good luck!

Seller can't do anything "bad" to you. You have 4 days before they can open a NPB against you. And even if they do after the 4 days, you have 7 days to pay. So technically you have 11 days to pay. Still, at least you let the seller know and didn't do what a lot of people do which is not say a damn thing.

You did the nice thing by telling her. I can understand she wants/ needs the money but I can't imagine it is impossible to wait a few days.
I really hope this does not make you take an eBay break as you said... it would be sad that one "impolite" seller makes you lose confidence! :smile:

I think you probably hit the nail on the head here. Because the norm is now 4 days, (and most people do pay within those), sellers probably plan their budgets around that time frame. Plus then it takes time to be able to get the money out of PayPal. Maybe they have just had a few non-payers and they have commitments to meet themselves. It's all a bit jumpy out there right now!

Personally, I think you were being honest and polite. But we all look at the world through the filter of the ups and downs of our daily lives. You are buying the bag, not the seller. I try remember this when I deal with people I find a little terse sometimes.

Hope you love the bag - don't stress it!

:goodpost:

Linda